Suggestions 120mm Fans For Cooling HT Cabinet Furniture?

Blazemore

[H]ard|Gawd
Which 120mm fans does everyone use for their HT cooling needs? What I have done is cut two 120mm holes in the back of a TV cabinet. One for exhaust and one for intake. I have already install a temp probe from Coolerguys: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556086611.html

Example of cabinet used:http://www.amazon.com/Famous-Brand-TV-Stand-RTA/dp/B002YR6LLY

What I'm looking for:
Long life
Quite, very low noise
I'd say 15 -20cfm (?)
Black
Already sleeved would be nice or option to have done.

Suggestions?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why 120's? Why not a pair of 200's set in an exhaust orientation? They would draw the cool air from the door gaps across the equipment.

First space limitations on top of the cabinet were heat raises. Second I want to cut down on dust buildup showing on the front panels. Third holes are already cut.

Having an exhaust right next to an intake is going to be counterproductive. Your goal is to eliminate dead spots in the enclosure and to facilitate convection within the cabinet to approximate an open environment, versus actively cooling the components.

Your best bet is to allow for air to passively enter the cabinet low and then use both cut holes for exhaust fans at low RPM. If you have the intake at the same level as the exhaust, then you are fighting convection and are going to feed a dead spot low in the cabinet.

You shouldn't have dust issues as you aren't looking to move a huge amount of air. Again, you are looking to "open" up the cabinet, not actively cool components.

As for what fans to use, judging by your color restriction of "all black" I would go with Scythe S-Flex or Kama Flow fans. They are quiet, all black, and use very good quality bearings. They are not sleeved, however.

Yes I have one intake at the bottom shelf and the exhaust on the second shelf above the receiver. As you stated to lesson dead air spots within the cabinet. The cabient has a cross brace in the back for support so it limits the area to install a fan. Also the intake and exhaust are diagonal to one another.

I've already seen some dust buildup problems (over months) on the lower shelf with using a cheap coolermaster fan. I've even thought about reusable air filters.

Yeah, if you have dust buildup, you're best bet is to buy a filter.

You basically have two options. The first is a fabric based filter. These tend to keep far more dust out, and they can be washable, but they restrict airflow considerably.

The second option is a metal mesh based filter. These don't really restrict airflow, but they don't restrict dust entry as well as the fabric ones either.

Since you may want a fan guard anyway, maybe pick up one of these?

Then again, I have yet to see an AV cabinet that doesn't build up dust over many months, with or without ventilation. So if it isn't bad, you can always just dust back there every so often.

Then again, I have yet to see an AV cabinet that doesn't build up dust over many months, with or without ventilation. So if it isn't bad, you can always just dust back there every so often.

This. The nature of the way electronics work draws dust to it. that reminds me, I need to dust my HTPC out.

Most 120mm fans will last a very long time. If you're concerned with fan speed, a fan controller is always a permanent solution. Either the single fan controllers from Zalman (you can tuck away in the case) or the bay controllers that controller multiple. I was never a fan of filters but they do help (and impede airflow in the process).

I'm doing almost this exact same thing in my entertainment center, except I just have a single 120mm exhaust fan, with the intake just around the door gaps.

I first started off with a rosewill, it was decently quiet but started growling after about 3 months. I replaced it with a vantec thermalflow and it was painfully loud.

I think I've come to the conclusion that the noctua's are probably my best bet.. just need drop the $20 and order one.

I also considered that same fan controller, but ultimately decided that I would probably hear the fan kicking off and on more than I would if it made a constant hum.

Back