Suggestions & $.02 for a n00b - Help me DESIGN my network

guito13

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi All,

I want to set up a small network at home that has the following capabilities: Email server, WebServer (SQL, PHP, all the goodies), FTP, DNS, and of course some sort of firewall / security features. I am relatively new at all this however I just need to be pointed in the right direction as far as how to use my existing hardware (hopefully!) and what software is best for new users on a VERY tight budget. As soon as i have a high level plan I can read up on everything i need to know. I just need some help with the plan!

The hardware I currently have is in my sig plus another box:

1) AMD 2500+, 1gb ram, 120gb IDE drive, ati9700 pro (Basically for gaming / coding)
2) AMD 2200+, 256Mb, 20 GB Drive, Geforce4 (Shitty, basically for internet, office documents)
3) Compaq Proliant 6000 (4 ppros @ 200mhz) , 1Gb Ram, 3 raid 5 arrays (from 16 - 36 gb)
4) Old 250mhz box with 48megs ram (firewall ??)

I also have a D-link DI-604, a old ass cheap switch and old ass hub. My ISP is a broadbank cable company (WOW) at appros 2MB down and 256k up I have a static IP.

I would like some [H]elp to plan my network using the software above. My goal is to run a small non-profit fathers rights website from home with email and FTP capabilities. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If you need pics of my current setup (UGLY!) please let me know. Thank you in advance and please feel free to flame me if it helps with your suggestions

I'm not much for the webserver/email server and firewall stuff, but I'm sure that all the suggestions you get for this will be to start with some kind of linux system, which is a good thing because most linux operating systems are free :). That should fit your budget just fine.

So i'd say step 1 - Choose a linux distro and play with it a bit to learn the in's and out's of linux.

I'm not a builder, I'm a fixer. Sorry I can't help you further :cool:

Thank you Dire, I was assuming Linux would be the way to go for all the applications. I am a N00b at it and I tried installin Mandrake 9.2 on the compaq and ended up having a dual boot win2kserver and text based linux OS which i have NO clue how to use. I am hoping to find a GUI Linux distro that will install on the compaq and that old box (i want to keep XP on my gaming box and 98 on the web surfin' box).

Put smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org) on that old 250mhz box. It will provide an easy-to use firewall, dhcp server, dns server, proxy server, and more, and that machine sounds easily powerful enuogh to run it perfectly.

So far so good....I was thinking about using that old box with some sort of firewall software (clark connect, softwall, ect) then off of that hitting my DI-604 for some additional protection....Thanks all in advance

i used smoothwall and i loved it (unti i needed the computer it was on to actually be usable with a window environment for a roommate), but i'm not sure it has the webserving abilities you're after. check out clarkconnect, i think it has all you need. of course, i'm not sure if those raid chipsets are supported in the free version.

Yes, i have been looking at clarkconnect as well.......i really want to run the webserver, ftp, emai ect on that monster compaq i have....use that old box for a software firewall (ONLY) and my other two machies will be for personal use (No server stuff)....my current thought is to have Cable ---> SoftwareFirewall ---> DI-604 ----> everything else

This seems to make sense to me somehow. I guess Ill start with something like smoothwall on the old box since it seems to be a easy & free firewall. Next is to find software to run on the compaq for the server stuff...suggestions?

Back