Suggestion for relatively inexpensive "compact" USB keyboard

scottmso

Limp Gawd
I've got this Apple keyboard (the non-EU version), but it's currently having problems. So time to look for a new one.

What I'm looking for in a keyboard:
- "compact" (no numpad): I've found i really like this form factor because it's simple and doesn't take up much space
- USB: I've got desktop and laptop PCs using the keyboard that don't all have Bluetooth or PS/2, so it has to be USB.
- Under $100: Ideally under $50...i'm just worried about spending so much on an item that can be destroyed fairly easily. Otherwise I don't mind spending the premium on a quality product and will certainly consider it (but no more than ~$100 or so, i'm still a student :))

What I use the keyboard for:
- Web, word processing, other 'ordinary' uses
- Programming, vi, terminal, etc.
- Occasional gaming (but this is far from the most important use)
- Usually use OS X or Linux, but sometimes run Windows

One possibility is Happy Hacking KB Lite 2, at around $90 or so. My main concern is that it might be *too* simple as to make it hard to use...for instance, it lacks "F" keys. Does this pose a problem, or is it one of those things that is more efficient once you get acclimated (like using vi, shell, etc)? How is the quality/durability on this model (vs the $300 Pro model)? It still uses keyswitches, right?

I was also looking at these "Leopold" tenkeyless keyboards from elitekeyboards.com. They fall into my price range and have keyswitches too. I couldn't find much information about this particular brand of keyboard, any thoughts?

Or of course, i could just go for a dirt-cheap one like this knockoff of the Apple I have now. :D

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought an HHKB Pro -- it was awesome, as long as I was only using vim. I think the Lite version is probably about the same, though it is a little easier to use for everyday things, not nearly as good as the Leopold. Avoid knockoffs.

Leopolds are really nice keyboards, I don't think you would regret em.

HHKB lite sucks. I have 2. They feel terrible. However, they do have F keys: FN + 1 = f1, FN + 2 = f2, etc.

I'd go with the Leopold and spend a little extra cash (though the red switch based board is still on sale at $89). You could also look at the Filco tenkeyless boards, but they are a little more expensive (I want to say around $140 or so on Amazon). Either way, since you are doing a good deal of typing I think you will prefer a better mechanical board over a knockoff for sure.

With the Leopolds on elitekeyboards you have your choice of switch color, so I'd suggest ideally trying out some keyboards with different switches if possible as they each have a different feel and even sound to them. If you can't see them in person, then I would at least look through the mechanical keyboard guide over at geekhack.org or browse some threads on here to see which switch will be the best fit for you.

I have two Filco's and absolutely love them. Looking to get a third soon...

If you are willing to spend a little more I would recommend that. Otherwise Leopolds/Das/Rosewills are good for the price. Rosewills are rebadged Filcos but I don't know if they come in the TKL.

Thanks all for the replies!

I'd go with the Leopold and spend a little extra cash (though the red switch based board is still on sale at $89). You could also look at the Filco tenkeyless boards, but they are a little more expensive (I want to say around $140 or so on Amazon). Either way, since you are doing a good deal of typing I think you will prefer a better mechanical board over a knockoff for sure.

With the Leopolds on elitekeyboards you have your choice of switch color, so I'd suggest ideally trying out some keyboards with different switches if possible as they each have a different feel and even sound to them. If you can't see them in person, then I would at least look through the mechanical keyboard guide over at geekhack.org or browse some threads on here to see which switch will be the best fit for you.

Yeah, I was a bit unsure about the difference between the keyswitch types. They have a guide on there, but i didn't get much from it (maybe didn't read it in depth). I guess naturally i'm tempted to go with the $89 model, but a $109 one would be worth the difference if I knew i'd strongly prefer one over the other.

As you say, this is probably one of those things that's ideally tried in person...like shoes or a bike, but i've bought both online before :D. However, I don't think there's really a place I could go to locally with a good selection of mechanical keyboards. I live in DC and the only place I could think of is Micro Center. They sell a couple of Corsair models with Cherry MX Red keyswitches, as well as a mechanical SIIG model. I might go check them out if they have them on display, since the $89 Leopold i was looking at also has Cherry MX keyswitches.

Aside from that, do there exist specialty ergonomics or computer stores that carry good selections of mechanical keyboards? Even if it were in NYC or Philly, that might be a possibility...this might just be the excuse to take a weekend trip up there, haha.

I ordered my Filco with cherry brown switches without having tried them before and really, really love it. I think the brown switches are the most commonly recommended, though there are proponents of all the other options as well.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide#post_6009482

This link (like the wiki/guide at geekhack) has images of the switches 'in action' and basic info on them. Of note are the tactile, clicky, actuation force, and summary for each switch type. The basic take home points are that black and red switches are linear (ie they don't have tactile feedback when typing), and the black switches take more force to actuate than reds. Cherry browns have a slight tactile bump and no clicky sound, while blues have a tactile bump AND a clicky sounds which some people don't like and others love. You'll see certain color switches or boards recommended depending on user interests, with blacks/reds often being recommended for gaming, blue for purely typing, and brown for either or as a compromise of the two. There are of course people who do not follow those recommendations and are perfectly happy with the feel of the different color switches for a whole variety of tasks.

If I had to recommend one kind to order blind I'd probably pick cherry brown switches since they are a fair compromise somewhere between the linear red/black switches and the tactile/clicky blues. That said, if you can go to Microcenter or elsewhere and try a red (or other color) based board and like it I don't think you'd regret going with another option. The $20 off the cherry red based Leopold makes it very tempting, and I have one in the mail to me right now actually.

I don't know of specialty shops that would have multiple models of mechanical keyboards. Microcenter is where I've had the best bet finding and trying different boards, but it's possible there is a high end store in the DC area you might stumble upon.

Thanks all for the replies!

Yeah, I was a bit unsure about the difference between the keyswitch types. They have a guide on there, but i didn't get much from it (maybe didn't read it in depth). I guess naturally i'm tempted to go with the $89 model, but a $109 one would be worth the difference if I knew i'd strongly prefer one over the other.

As you say, this is probably one of those things that's ideally tried in person...like shoes or a bike, but i've bought both online before :D. However, I don't think there's really a place I could go to locally with a good selection of mechanical keyboards. I live in DC and the only place I could think of is Micro Center. They sell a couple of Corsair models with Cherry MX Red keyswitches, as well as a mechanical SIIG model. I might go check them out if they have them on display, since the $89 Leopold i was looking at also has Cherry MX keyswitches.

Aside from that, do there exist specialty ergonomics or computer stores that carry good selections of mechanical keyboards? Even if it were in NYC or Philly, that might be a possibility...this might just be the excuse to take a weekend trip up there, haha.

There's also the Noppo Choc Mini. Might want to consider it.

What do you guys think of the Cooler Master Storm keyboards? It's $80, and tenkeyless with Cherry Blue keyswitches. Supposedly it's made by the same OEM as Filco keyboards. It's covered in logos though...i prefer a more minimalist design, but i can live with it if i'm getting a good deal :D

I'm still undecided on which kind of keyboard to get. Might see if I can go out to Micro Center and try out whatever ones they have. One with tactile feedback (ie Blue or Brown) seems appealing to me, but I haven't used one in a long time (ie the last time I used an ancient computer that came with such a keyboard). Same thing with the "clicky". Not entirely sure if i'd love it or hate it...i guess my only option is to buy one and find out after a few days :D

There's also the Noppo Choc Mini. Might want to consider it.

I saw those on ebay. But these apparently don't work properly with Macs (per the seller as well as some postings I found online), so that's a dealbreaker for me.

What do you guys think of the Cooler Master Storm keyboards? It's $80, and tenkeyless with Cherry Blue keyswitches. Supposedly it's made by the same OEM as Filco keyboards. It's covered in logos though...i prefer a more minimalist design, but i can live with it if i'm getting a good deal :D

I'm still undecided on which kind of keyboard to get. Might see if I can go out to Micro Center and try out whatever ones they have. One with tactile feedback (ie Blue or Brown) seems appealing to me, but I haven't used one in a long time (ie the last time I used an ancient computer that came with such a keyboard). Same thing with the "clicky". Not entirely sure if i'd love it or hate it...i guess my only option is to buy one and find out after a few days :D

If that Cooler Master is indeed the same quality as a Filco I think it is a fantastic deal at that price - haven't tried it personally though. The folks over at geekhack may know something about it.

Also, take a look at this video I saw posted by someone else in another thread on here. It is a sound comparison of several different switch types, including cherry blues. The video also demonstrates sound change by adding a rubber o-ring as a dampener, but note that that is a mod.

Back