suggestion for non-mechanical wired gaming keyboard?

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi Guys,

My alienware keyboard is acting up :( Since my office is close to my bedroom, I cannot buy mechanical keyboard due to the noise. It would drive my wife crazy... LOL.

Do you guys have some recommendations? I don't need anything fancy, meaning special keys, LCD screens... etc... Something that works. Backlit keys would be a bonus, makes it easier to type in the dark :)

Thanks,
Martin

I received the Fujitsu KB910 today after it had been recommended by another hardforum user. It was fairly cheap! I haven't used it a whole lot but it looks pretty nice. Keys have a little depth and push down gradually and it's very quiet.

Thanks for your responses. I'm still having some thoughts about mechanical...
What is the quietest mechanical with O-rings combo up there.

I play FPS the most, would RED or BROWN switches would be for me?

I'm still exploring my options :)

Red or brown with o-rings will sound pretty much the same - reasonably quiet in my opinion. You will probably want to go with the .4mm rings instead of the .2mm ones if you want it to be as quiet as possible, but I'm using a set of .2mm rings and its still much better than stock.

Switch type is all up to preference. I like the tactile feedback from brown switches - great for typing and no trouble double-tapping when needed in games. Some people enjoy the linear reds and blacks, just depends if you want feedback at the switch or just on-screen. I recommend trying different switches before you buy if possible - sometimes local B&Ms will have display models out to demo.

Red or brown with o-rings will sound pretty much the same - reasonably quiet in my opinion. You will probably want to go with the .4mm rings instead of the .2mm ones if you want it to be as quiet as possible, but I'm using a set of .2mm rings and its still much better than stock.

Switch type is all up to preference. I like the tactile feedback from brown switches - great for typing and no trouble double-tapping when needed in games. Some people enjoy the linear reds and blacks, just depends if you want feedback at the switch or just on-screen. I recommend trying different switches before you buy if possible - sometimes local B&Ms will have display models out to demo.

Thanks for your response. I will have to go to the stores to try some of the keyboards. Like I said I the major problem is noise with kids/wife sleeping across from our computer office. Also some people say adding O-rings adds weird feel to the keys... I wish I had some buddies with keyboards with O-rings...

Every keyboard I read on has some BAD reviews... LOL...

I have to look at Logitech 710+ closer because it has mechanical switches with o-rings built-in... at least for 6 seconds I tried it at local store (I was with wife/kids shopping) it did not seemed to be too noisy. If I can achieve something similar with i.e. K70 RED with o-rings, I would be tempted to buy one. :)

I might wait for reviews to come out form the upcoming in October Corsair Strafe RGB Silent with new MX Cherry Silent switches...

too many choices up there... ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. I will have to go to the stores to try some of the keyboards. Like I said I the major problem is noise with kids/wife sleeping across from our computer office. Also some people say adding O-rings adds weird feel to the keys... I wish I had some buddies with keyboards with O-rings...

Every keyboard I read on has some BAD reviews... LOL...

I have to look at Logitech 710+ closer because it has mechanical switches with o-rings built-in... at least for 6 seconds I tried it at local store (I was with wife/kids shopping) it did not seemed to be too noisy. If I can achieve something similar with i.e. K70 RED with o-rings, I would be tempted to buy one. :)

I might wait for reviews to come out form the upcoming in October Corsair Strafe RGB Silent with new MX Cherry Silent switches...

too many choices up there... ;)

You could also look at the Logitech G910. It has some other brand of switches but they are basically browns with o-rings. It is pretty quiet, and they have them sitting out at Best Buy so you can try them.

I prefer reds because of the pure linear feel. If you add o-rings the bottoming out becomes mushy and you lose the linear feel. So if you're getting o-rings might as well go with browns and take advantage of the tactile activation. It really is just a matter of opinion though, so you could still like reds with o-rings.

You could also look at the Logitech G910. It has some other brand of switches but they are basically browns with o-rings. It is pretty quiet, and they have them sitting out at Best Buy so you can try them.

I prefer reds because of the pure linear feel. If you add o-rings the bottoming out becomes mushy and you lose the linear feel. So if you're getting o-rings might as well go with browns and take advantage of the tactile activation. It really is just a matter of opinion though, so you could still like reds with o-rings.

Thank you for your reply and great suggestions... G910 has very weird keys shape, but I will have to try it. I have to find some time in my busy family life to go to local computer stores to put my hands on some models.

I will still wait for the reviews come out from the new MX Reds Silent keys...

Guys how is Apex M800 keyboard? I might order it from amazon (with 30 days return policy). I'm affraid it might be too sensitive for typing...

So I bought Steelseries Apex M800 and I love it so far. Quiet, nice looking and fast. Although I tend to press ";" accidently, it will take some time to learn how to type on it. The RGB lights/effects are great. Tons of customization. The only thing I miss is wrist rest.

Back