Suggestion for Decent External Enclosure

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
I'm looking to purchase a decent external enclosure for a 3.5" HDD. I currently have a 160GB IDE HDD that was in my linux comp which served as a backup for my important stuff on my main PC. Now that I use that in an OK, unnamed external enclosure which I have had issues with in the past, I have lost that love and feeling about trusting it. So, I'm looking to purchase another enclosure so I don't have to worry about losing data. I have an IDE HDD now, and I will probably upgrade it to a SATA at a later time. So having an internal IDE and SATA config is a plus. Externally, of course eSATA and either firewire or USB. I was looking at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145027
which my roommate has, and he says its been working fine for him, but he has a SATA drive inside while utilizing the eSATA connection outside. That right there would future proof me for an upcoming SATA drive.
I was also looking at this one, if I were to sell the IDE and purchase a SATA drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145167

What are your guys opinions? What companies should I stay away from? Which ones are winners? What about that Thermaltake one? My problem is that I see the reviews on newegg, and all the enclosures have a lot of bad reviews..I don't know if that's just because its really a crappy model, or if that model has had some bad batches, or users on there are idiots (which is true for the most of the bad reviews). Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you look at the reviews @ Newegg, the Vantec one seems to be better, although termaltake is more "name brand".
If it were up to me, I'd go w/ the Vantec. To me external enclosures are just a place for putting a hard drive and thats all.

For me, nothing fancy is necessary.

Let me know what you think.

Vantec is pretty much as "name brand" as Thermaltake, especially in this product section. I'd go with the Vantec. I own a 3.5" and a 2.5" version of the Nexstar3. Both are identical to the second link, but without eSATA support.

Back