Suggestion for a videocard for a computer I acquired & turning into a HTPC.

zamardii12

2[H]4U
I'm turning a Lenovo tower I got into a HTPC. Just some Netflix, movies on the HD, and some platforming games. The games aren't necessary but I'd really like to play some light platforming games. If I have to put a new PSU inside to accommodate one that's fine, but I just want the best option for that case. I looked intside and there is about 8.5" of space to fit a card but I can cut the metal inside of need-be.

Also, I found a 6970 that is PCI Express 2.0 16x but I am afraid of what it means in the specs for the motherboard that that slot has a 45 watt max. Can anyone clarify what that means?

Thanks a bunch!

Computer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108676

Brand
ThinkCentre
Series
Edge
Model
71 (1577K8U)
Type
Business Desktops & Workstations
Processor
Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz
Processor Main Features
64 bit Dual Core Processor
Cache Per Processor
3MB L3 Cache
Memory
4GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
320GB
Optical Drive
Super Multi-Burner DL DVD±RW SATA 1.5Gb/s Drive
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics
Audio
High Definition (HD) Audio, Realtek ALC662 codec
Ethernet
Gigabit Ethernet
Power Supply
180W
Speaker
Internal speaker for business audio
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

CPU
CPU Type
Intel Core i3
CPU Speed
2120 (3.30GHz)
L3 Cache Per CPU
3MB
CPU Socket Type
LGA 1155
CPU Main Features
64 bit Dual Core Processor

Graphics
GPU/VGA Type
Intel HD Graphics
Graphics Interface
Integrated video

Memory
Memory Capacity
4GB DDR3
Memory Speed
DDR3 1333
Memory Spec
4GB x 1
Memory Slot (Total)
Maximum Memory Supported
8GB

Hard Drive
HDD
320GB
HDD Interface
SATA
HDD RPM
7200rpm

Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type
DVD Super Multi
Optical Drive Spec
Super Multi-Burner DL DVD±RW SATA 1.5Gb/s Drive

Audio
Audio Chipset
Realtek ALC662
Audio Features
High Definition (HD) Audio

Communications
LAN Chipset
Integrated
LAN Speed
10/100/1000Mbps

Front Panel Ports
Front USB
Front Audio Ports

Back Panel Ports
COM
LPT
Video Ports
1 VGA, 1 DVI
Rear USB
RJ45
1 port
Rear Audio Ports
3 ports

Expansion
PCI Slots (Available/Total)
Slot 1: half-length, full-height, PCI Express 2.0 x16 (45w max)
Slot 2: half-length, full-height, PCIe 2.0 x1
Slot 3: half-length, full-height, PCIe 2.0 x1

Speaker
Speaker Configuration
Internal speaker for business audio

Physical Spec
Dimensions (H x W x D)
15.4" x 14.0" x 6.3"

I tried I am Alive on it which I only have installed because i've been waiting to play it and it's really laggy even at the start screen. Pixeljunk Shooter runs okay. I want to get the Rayman games, but haven't yet. Tried Renegade Ops and it was laggy as hell.

Just need some suggestions on what I could put in this old rig. I could put a 6970 in it but I am unsure of what the "45 watt" max means for the PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot on the motherboard specifications.

I would bump the RAM to 8GB, then allocate more RAM to on-board vid. Set up a friends system; same i3 and they do light gaming on their HTPC. Not everything runs well at 1920X1080 tho.

The PCI Express supplies power -- up to 45W . Most business class video cards pull power from the slot as they are not overly powerful -- and often fanless. My old 4550 (used in old HTPC) was like this and worked fine. The 6970 takes external power from the PSU right? If so, you should be good to go and not really have any video issues to worry about. I would still bump the system RAM to 8GB :)

I would bump the RAM to 8GB, then allocate more RAM to on-board vid. Set up a friends system; same i3 and they do light gaming on their HTPC. Not everything runs well at 1920X1080 tho.

The PCI Express supplies power -- up to 45W . Most business class video cards pull power from the slot as they are not overly powerful -- and often fanless. My old 4550 (used in old HTPC) was like this and worked fine. The 6970 takes external power from the PSU right? If so, you should be good to go and not really have any video issues to worry about. I would still bump the system RAM to 8GB :)

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into doing that. Hopefully I can fit a 6970 in this case. I know i'll have to cut some of the metal away but I think it'll be worth it. The 6970 I can find for around $100 and it's still a really capable card. I use it in my desktop to game on and with the exception here and there with games like Crysis 3 it still holds up well.

I have a 4550 (or is it a 5550..... ) that I used in my previous HTPC. It' pretty small, doesn't need extra power and it played basic games pretty well (Steam stuff -- simple platformers or puzzle games). -- it's just laying around right now if you are interested could let it go cheap. I'll double check as to what it is first ....

I have a 4550 (or is it a 5550..... ) that I used in my previous HTPC. It' pretty small, doesn't need extra power and it played basic games pretty well (Steam stuff -- simple platformers or puzzle games). -- it's just laying around right now if you are interested could let it go cheap. I'll double check as to what it is first ....

No that's okay. I might as well just stick to my plan of getting a 6970. It seems to be the best option. I might even just put the one from my desktop in there for now since I don't game much on the desktop computer lately anyway. Appreciate the offer.

why won't it work?

it can provide 75 watts of power and its just a minimal amount of performance lost!

I got it running on my old PC's and its quiet!

pcie standard is backward compatible.

why won't it work?

it can provide 75 watts of power and its just a minimal amount of performance lost!

I got it running on my old PC's and its quiet!

pcie standard is backward compatible.

From what I understood PCI Express 3.0 cards don't work in 2.0 slots.

From what I understood PCI Express 3.0 cards don't work in 2.0 slots.

PCI-E is fully backwards and forwards compatible with respect to pin-out and data transfer. You can use a PCI-E 3.0 card in a PCI-E 1.0 slot, and it will work, just it will not have as high of a max transfer speed.

Back