Suggestion for a 24"-27" Display for home use?

Osamede

n00b
I'm looking for a high quality 24"-27" display for use by myself and various family members at home. We've got several ultraportable laptops, but sometimes you need a larger screen.

Key needs are:
- quality image
- 1 to 1 pixel matching
- adjustable height AND tilt
- primary use is web and video+image viewing.
- Occasional image editing

It will be in a study that has a cable outlet, so I could hook it up as a backup TV, but this will not be primary objective and I dont want to sacrifice anything for that.

I dont mind paying a bit more for a quality screen that I'll be satisfied with and keep. But on the other hand I dont want to waste cash if there is a quality screen that is cheaper but doesnt have the brand name.

My only real experience with external displays is a Dell 2408WFP that I've had on my desk at work for the past 3 or 4 years. Its a PVA panel as far as I know. Good screen but hard to know if there is a current quality equivalent with Dell, as many other dells I have screen have variable quality.

I see that Apple has a 27" IPA screen, albeit for a large price premium, as well as a an older discontinued 24" version available used. Are these worth the premium?

And if not, is there is short list of 3-4-5 screens that I should be looking at?

Thanks

Budget is open, since I'm willing to pay for quality at least in the terms I have defined the spec above. I don't game so as long as it can play video nicely I'm happy.

But if the spec can be well filled without buying the most expensive item that's even better.

As I look at things, I think 23"-24" will probably do. Also suspect that PVA might be the direction as the 2408WFP has about 1300:1 specified contrast and I don't think I want to go backwards on that front 3 years later.

Is it possible to narrow to some targets in that area?

Went with order for an Eizo Sx2262 as it had the 1920x1200 but in a compact 22" package. Will see how it goes.

I would recommend you to take a look at the BenQ BL2400PU. It's a great monitor that's LED backlit, VA paneled. Great viewing angles, 3000:1 contrast ratio. Sharp details, depth in color. Superb for movies, video editting, etc. Deep blacks. Best part is the ergonomics. You can swivel the monitor side to side 45 degrees (left/right), and you can tilt the neck up/down. And it has little over 5 inches of height adjustment. VA panels will give you sharper details than IPS, yet not failing to provide accurate and crisp colors that you'd receive from e-IPS monitors. They're an ideal substitute for IPS. The only downside is that they'll be slightly slower in the ms response time department, but unless you're gaming hardcore FPS you're not going to notice it.

I received the Sx2262 today. Its pretty good in a lot of ways: very sharp text, scrolls text crisply and very good viewing angles. The mount is excellent. Very easy on the eyes, in that part seems a little better than the Dell 2408WFP I have at work and certainly much better than my Sony Z laptop on which the LED backlight strains my eyes.

Main weakness is it isnt great on video - just a tiny lit laggy it feels so far. Also a very bulky and thick casing. Not sexy at all - my SO is already complaing asking if I'm going to keep "that ugly thing".

I think think I would keep this unless I can identify some thing better that fits the following parameters: equally crisp test display and scrolling 24", CCFL backlight, 1920x1200 and better video performance.

The BenQ BL2400PU I will have to nix on grounds of the LED backlight, which personally I am finding to cause eyestrain.

Any ideas? Otherwise I keep this one I think.

Back