Suggested Cooling Setup for E8400 + CM690 Case?

Dyoksyn

n00b
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
3
Hi, first post here...

I've been speccing out a new rig for some time now and picking up bits and pieces when deals are on etc.

So far I'm looking at the following:

Intel C2D E8400 (retail box, so stock HS/F)
BFG 8800 GT OC 512
OCZ 4GB SLI-ready Dual Channel kit (2x 2048 sticks)
Asus P5K MB (most likely, still have to research them more)
A pair of Seagate 500GB 7200.11 HDDs

Now I've browsed these forums a bit, esp. looking at the case + mods section for the CM690 that I'll get and a lot of those systems have some pretty elaborate cooling setups with regards to CPU HS/F combo and the number of fans in the case.

Does anyone have some tips and good reliable brand names to get:

a) Case fans, preferably the quieter the better, without giving up too much ability to move hot air out
b) HS/F combo for the processor for a bit of overclocking (I'm not a nutter when it comes to OCing my gear)
c) A decent setup for cooling the 8800GT I've got, again, for maybe a bit of overclocking if I so desire.

Thanks
 
It had been a while since I really delved into the hardware side of PC parts, but this rig forced me back in, so I did a bit of review reading, research and the like to figure out what's what.

Settled on an Asus P5K motherboard, have no need for Wi-fi so just the vanilla board.

I've got some fairly limited HS/F choices from dealers around me, damn west coasters having access to NCIX, especially annoying was the fact that no one around Ottawa apparently has any Thermalright parts, so I can't get an Ultra 120, but that Xigmatek did catch my eye for being well priced but also apparently a very good cooler. Would there be any point to swapping the bundled fan with the HS to a Scythe SFF21E to lower the noise or just leave it untouched and only have the SFF21Es as intake and exhaust fans in the case?

I really do want a fairly quiet case, so I'll most likely be getting the Scythe SFF21Es, the 20dBa ones. I realize they have low movement though. It's been tough getting a clear picture as to where you can mount fans in the case, but I was thinking of doing two intake and two exhaust with possibly a fifth fan in one of the top points.

Is there a proper way to place fans to maximize cooling? The 2x in 2x exhaust seems like a good idea to me, but maybe I'm just behind the times. :)

The GPU cooling can wait I feel, to see if I really want to OC it.
 
Back
Top