• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

suggest mp3 settings for mobile playback

SpeedyVV

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 14, 2007
Messages
4,210
I am planning to keep my music collection in FLAC.

However I will be doing a batch convert to mp3 to use in my mobile phone (samsung s2) and nexus 7.

Space is a premium, so I would like some suggestions for best bang (quality) for the buck (space required) settings.

Based on a suggestion on another thread I will most likely be using dBpoweramp as the conversion tool, and I think it has just about any mp3 codecs and settings you can imagine.

I am not sure if my tablet or mobile has better sound quality, so I would prefer to pick a quality based on my better device.
 
If you have foobar2000 you can do ABX testing to see if you can hear differences between different bit rates, Just work down from 320. Also i find that in some songs you can here the lower bit rate easier than others.
 
Why MP3? Why not MP4? MP4 has arguably better compression than MP3. You should be able to get the same quality at smaller file sizes or higher quality at the same file size vs MP3.

Start with a higher bit-rate and make several encodes of a couple songs as you keep lowering the bit-rate. Then compare them yourself to find the best bitrate you like.

Always use VBR.

I ended up conveting all my FLAC to AAC q5 with dBpoweramp for my phone/tablet.
 
Why MP3? Why not MP4? MP4 has arguably better compression than MP3. You should be able to get the same quality at smaller file sizes or higher quality at the same file size vs MP3.

Start with a higher bit-rate and make several encodes of a couple songs as you keep lowering the bit-rate. Then compare them yourself to find the best bitrate you like.

Always use VBR.

I ended up conveting all my FLAC to AAC q5 with dBpoweramp for my phone/tablet.

Kool. I never even considered Mp4. I assume they are compatible with Samsung S2 and Nexus 7?

Will look into it.
 
poikosoft.com
has a free convertor.

I set it to VBR4;However, I find that over 160kbs(CBR) is a waste of space and does not add to sound quality.

As for FLAC, you will get better compression if you rip to WAV and then use Winrar instead. But, with just a 500gb hdd I am sure you wont need either one as you could fit 1000 albums.
 
Back
Top