Suggest Mouse that can bind one key to side buttons

kilgore777

Gawd
Folks,

I have an Steelseries Akari Laser mouse and I am looking for a replacement.

I like the mouse, but I just got Dead Space 2. In the game, side buttons are not supported (Really DS2?.... they couldn't have support for side buttons in game in 2011??? they even work in HL2...).

Anyway, I was considering getting a new mouse anyway, but I want to make sure it is one that allows you to bind a single key to the side buttons (and no, I can't do it with the Ikari. Not even with Glovepie).

Please suggest a mouse that:
1) Is ergonomic (I favor Logitech-style mice... but don't have to get a Logitech)
2) Has at least 2 side buttons (3 would be nice)
3) Is wired (I don't want to recharge)

I was looking at the Logitech G500, but I think that binding to one key might be an issue there too....

Thanks in advance.

The G500 should be perfect for you. On mine, the middle button on the side of the mouse is bound to K, since most games don't support that button and K is too far to press with my left hand anyway. It works great.

The G500 should be perfect for you. On mine, the middle button on the side of the mouse is bound to K, since most games don't support that button and K is too far to press with my left hand anyway. It works great.

Raxxath: thanks, man. :)

Any downsides to the mouse I should know about?

The only downside for me, personally, is that it makes a high-pitched ringing noise, but it's only audible if your computer is quiet and your ear is facing the mouse. That noise is common in mice from what I've heard, especially certain Logitech models.

I don't really have any other complaints about it, though. It was the first mouse to successfully replace the MX518 I had been using for many years.

The G500 has inherent positive acceleration due to the ADNS-9500 sensor. It's around 5-10% and is inconsistent. This may or may not bother you and many people play fine with it, but I feel it should be known to potential buyers looking at it.

There have been reports of negative acceleration on cloth pads.

@ kilgore777...

Well I know you specifically said you don't want wireless... but might I still suggest the Logitech G700. It's wireless as well as wired, either way you want to go. I am not a fan of wireless mice either honestly and I just keep it wired up all the time. The cable stays plugged in tightly, enough that I can hang it by it's tail all day! :)
The thing that sold me on the G700 was all the extra buttons available and the comfort due to where and how they're placed. Here's my current button maps...

left, right, and middle click of course and everything else is customized for my needs...

my left scroll = minimize window
my right scroll = maximize window
my G11 key = One Touch Search
my G10 key = Document Flip
my G9 key = Show Desktop
my G8 key = Task Manager
my G7 key = Refresh page/window
my G6 key = Ctrl +W (for Firefox tabs)
my G5 key = Back
my G4 key = Close window

All that available on only the mouse! :D Makes things much faster for me.

Then there's that awesome textured feel to the mouse, kind of like a plastic sandpaper if that makes sense... and it feels super solid and well built... button clicks are very deliberate but not overly so.

Damn, maybe I should be getting a commission from Logitech for push their product so hard, LOL! Really though, I do highly recommend it, I love mine.

the g400 has dropped and it's more or less the new hotness.

it's a beefcaked mx518 and afaik, their software lets you set any button on the mouse to any other button / key you have.

so if there isn't support, pretty sure you can bind mouse5 to something like 'p' on your keyboard and it should be alright. i haven't used their software in a million years but i'm pretty sure i remember doing that.

TooBooKoo and Sock,

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them both out. I didn't know that the G700 could be used wired... pretty cool! I will check it out as well as the G400. I have a MX510 (similar to the MX518) and I really like it.

I have been reading up on the Logitech G700 and I have read that some people find it uncomfortable due to the "hump" that houses the batteries.

Does anyone find that to be true?

Also, do the side buttons get "in the way" of each other? Is it a good mouse for FPSs or is it easy to hit the wrong button accidentally?

I have been reading up on the Logitech G700 and I have read that some people find it uncomfortable due to the "hump" that houses the batteries.

Does anyone find that to be true?

Also, do the side buttons get "in the way" of each other? Is it a good mouse for FPSs or is it easy to hit the wrong button accidentally?

Well I personally don't feel uncomfortable using my G700... in fact just the opposite! I think it's "hump" is very comfortable... but I do have those long alien fingers I guess, LOL! Either way I find it extremely comfortable and it's in my hand about 8-10 hours a day some days. If you have ever held the Logitech MX Revolution or the MX1100, well the G700 is similar to those... but better if you ask me. It fits my hand perfectly... I could shoot a few photos of my hand on it if you would like.

As far as the G700's side buttons are concerned... well it seems you and I have very similar wishes when it comes to mice. I hate it when I go to hit a side button and hit the wrong one due to the irregular placement according to my thumb... I had this problem on the G500 so I exchanged it for this G700 and have been happy ever since! The thumb buttons on it are very well placed for me personally, and you pretty much know by feel which ones are which... I can't say that about most mice I've tried recently. Let me give you a quick example (here I go rambling again, but hopefully it can help)...

my G7 button = Page refresh... rock your thumb up and forward a bit
my G6 button = Ctrl + W... rock your thumb up and sweep back a bit
my G5 button = Back... put your thumb on it and press straight in
my G4 button = Close... bend your thumb a little and press inward

Man I got it down to a science over here, LOL, but really it is pretty intuitive how they feel up under my thumb... but not easy to accidentally actuate while mousing. Don't even get me started on the pointer finger buttons... best location I've found on a mouse yet, very small movement of my pointer finger and I'm on them, all of them.

Of course I must sound like a salesman again... but I hope they keep this one in the lineup for some time... I am very happy with it, and I'm extremely picky with my mice and I like to work fast and accurate.

Let me know if you want me to get you some photos or anything, I don't mind at all.

Well I personally don't feel uncomfortable using my G700... in fact just the opposite! I think it's "hump" is very comfortable... but I do have those long alien fingers I guess, LOL! Either way I find it extremely comfortable and it's in my hand about 8-10 hours a day some days. If you have ever held the Logitech MX Revolution or the MX1100, well the G700 is similar to those... but better if you ask me. It fits my hand perfectly... I could shoot a few photos of my hand on it if you would like.

Thanks, you are too kind, but that isn't necessary.:)

As far as the G700's side buttons are concerned... well it seems you and I have very similar wishes when it comes to mice. I hate it when I go to hit a side button and hit the wrong one due to the irregular placement according to my thumb... I had this problem on the G500 so I exchanged it for this G700 and have been happy ever since! The thumb buttons on it are very well placed for me personally, and you pretty much know by feel which ones are which... I can't say that about most mice I've tried recently. Let me give you a quick example (here I go rambling again, but hopefully it can help)...

my G7 button = Page refresh... rock your thumb up and forward a bit
my G6 button = Ctrl + W... rock your thumb up and sweep back a bit
my G5 button = Back... put your thumb on it and press straight in
my G4 button = Close... bend your thumb a little and press inward

Man I got it down to a science over here, LOL, but really it is pretty intuitive how they feel up under my thumb... but not easy to accidentally actuate while mousing. Don't even get me started on the pointer finger buttons... best location I've found on a mouse yet, very small movement of my pointer finger and I'm on them, all of them.

Of course I must sound like a salesman again... but I hope they keep this one in the lineup for some time... I am very happy with it, and I'm extremely picky with my mice and I like to work fast and accurate.

Let me know if you want me to get you some photos or anything, I don't mind at all.

No, you don't sound like a salesman, just someone who is happy and enthusiastic about something they like (I am like that too). This information is very helpful, and I am definitely thinking about the G700 - most of the reviews I have read are very positive. I wish it wasn't so expensive though :eek:.

I really appreciate your input, my alien fingered friend! ;)

I will post my "review" here if I bite on the G700 and let you know what I think.

Edit: I just found a brandy new one on eBay for $55.... very tempting!

Last edited:
I'm starting to get into LoL after not really being a gamer and I have to say the G700 is killing me. For some reason they groove the thumb in pretty significantly so it is an active strain to actually tuck my thumb into it. I tend to get 2 hours tops before it starts to hurt. Guessing by others reactions to the mouse, this does not happen to every one, but as far as I know I have fairly normal thumb on the outside hands.

Last edited:
Thanks, you are too kind, but that isn't necessary.:)

No, you don't sound like a salesman, just someone who is happy and enthusiastic about something they like (I am like that too). This information is very helpful, and I am definitely thinking about the G700 - most of the reviews I have read are very positive. I wish it wasn't so expensive though :eek:.

I really appreciate your input, my alien fingered friend! ;)

I will post my "review" here if I bite on the G700 and let you know what I think.

Edit: I just found a brandy new one on eBay for $55.... very tempting!

Haha... well I am glad it's helpful and I do hope you can find you a great mouse. If you have any more specific question about the G700 then feel free to ask and I'll give you my point of view on it! :)

Yeah I hear you... I wasn't too crazy about the price myself, but I am glad I took the plunge and tried it out. Now for $55 new... oh I'd be all over that in a second! $55 makes it go from a great mouse to a 100% kickass mouse, haha! :D
I think the only thing comparable for that kind of money might be the G500... but I really can't use those thumb buttons easily... I guess I not only have alien fingers, but also fat amphibian thumbs, LOL!

Oh... and one more thing... it can run on a single standard AA battery if needed, it comes with a very nice eneloop cell too... so basically it covers all bases you might want to cover... wired, wireless, rechargeable, or just run it off of a pack of AA alkalines... I really like that even though I run it wired 90% of the time.

Good luck... let us know what you decide on and how you like it... I'd be interested to know what you think, especially if you do go with the G700!

*EDIT*
Something else I like about it... is...
if you somehow bust your cable, or your very ambitious chocolate Lab puppy decides mouse cords taste good... then you can use pretty much any micro USB cable to replace it, or order a replacement from Logitech. A very good thing when, inevitably, your little niece plays helicopter with your mouse... LMAO... these things happen you know! :D

Last edited:
I'm starting to get into LoL after not really being a gamer and I have to say the G700 is killing me. For some reason they groove the thumb in pretty significantly so it is an active strain to actually tuck my thumb into it. I tend to get 2 hours tops before it starts to hurt. Guessing by others reactions to the mouse, this does not happen to every one, but as far as I know I have fairly normal thumb on the outside hands.

Well I've not experienced this personally, but I do have a weird thumb and some a busted middle finger from a balisong accident, LOL! I have long fingers so it fits me well, but I guess it's not for everyone... my wife uses a little notebook mouse that makes my hand cramp unbelievably... so I think they should come out with three or so different sizes of the same mouse, of course that probably wouldn't be the most economical decision for the various companies... but more choices are never a bad thing for the consumer at least.

Haha... well I am glad it's helpful and I do hope you can find you a great mouse. If you have any more specific question about the G700 then feel free to ask and I'll give you my point of view on it! :)

Yeah I hear you... I wasn't too crazy about the price myself, but I am glad I took the plunge and tried it out. Now for $55 new... oh I'd be all over that in a second! $55 makes it go from a great mouse to a 100% kickass mouse, haha! :D
I think the only thing comparable for that kind of money might be the G500... but I really can't use those thumb buttons easily... I guess I not only have alien fingers, but also fat amphibian thumbs, LOL!

Well.... I went ahead and bit. I hope my run-of -the-mill-average hands can do well with the mouse. Maybe I will have to go in for some genetic alterations.... maybe a mixture of platypus and marmaset DNA would do the trick!
Yeah, at $55 I really couldn't pass it up, considering that it is upwards of $100 some places.

Oh... and one more thing... it can run on a single standard AA battery if needed, it comes with a very nice eneloop cell too... so basically it covers all bases you might want to cover... wired, wireless, rechargeable, or just run it off of a pack of AA alkalines... I really like that even though I run it wired 90% of the time.

Good luck... let us know what you decide on and how you like it... I'd be interested to know what you think, especially if you do go with the G700!

*EDIT*
Something else I like about it... is...
if you somehow bust your cable, or your very ambitious chocolate Lab puppy decides mouse cords taste good... then you can use pretty much any micro USB cable to replace it, or order a replacement from Logitech. A very good thing when, inevitably, your little niece plays helicopter with your mouse... LMAO... these things happen you know! :D

Actually, we have a Cairn Terrier puppy (like Toto) and she is the worst, most badly behaved dog we have ever had! Damn cute though.... she is very interested in anything that looks like an electric cord, so my mouse cord just might get it someday....

Again, thanks for the useful information!

Cheers

The Mionix Naos has the capability to remap the buttons via software, and supposedly this mouse is supposed to have flash memory.

I like my G700 very much, so that was a good choice. People complain about acceleration on the sensor but I can't notice it and I'm a very competitive FPS player who's played FPS games almost daily for 20 years. And compared to the utter failure that is the twin eye sensor on most mice, it's superb. The shape is really good imo, and the 4 side buttons are a god-send for someone like me who plays with the number pad, due to lack of easy to reach buttons in that area of the keyboard. As noted by others, the side buttons can be bound with the logitech setpoint software to any key on your keyboard.

I like my G700 very much, so that was a good choice. People complain about acceleration on the sensor but I can't notice it and I'm a very competitive FPS player who's played FPS games almost daily for 20 years. And compared to the utter failure that is the twin eye sensor on most mice, it's superb. The shape is really good imo, and the 4 side buttons are a god-send for someone like me who plays with the number pad, due to lack of easy to reach buttons in that area of the keyboard. As noted by others, the side buttons can be bound with the logitech setpoint software to any key on your keyboard.

Good to know... I am a big FPS fan myself... I am hoping that the G700 is the "mouse of my dreams"....:p

I am like you as far as having quick access to mouse buttons. I usually use 11-12 keys in my setup (that I can use comfortably.. more if I have to). Extra mouse buttons are key to me...

I really wish some company would incorporate a right side button as well as multiple left side buttons.... they could make it a large bar so it would be easy to acccess (similar to the right button on a MS Intellimouse). 5 side buttons would really rock!

Good to know... I am a big FPS fan myself... I am hoping that the G700 is the "mouse of my dreams"....:p

I am like you as far as having quick access to mouse buttons. I usually use 11-12 keys in my setup (that I can use comfortably.. more if I have to). Extra mouse buttons are key to me...

I really wish some company would incorporate a right side button as well as multiple left side buttons.... they could make it a large bar so it would be easy to acccess (similar to the right button on a MS Intellimouse). 5 side buttons would really rock!

btw, I believe you or someone asked if the 4 side buttons are easy to use, I find them very easy to use, in BC2, I have the lower-back button set to reload weapon, upper-back button to jump, lower-front set to spot, and upper-front set to throw grenade, it works very well and I think it didn't take me long to master, probably about 2 weeks or so.

Also, some mice do put buttons on the right side, like the steelseries XAI, which I used to use, I never liked it even though I needed the buttons, I think it's just too hard to mentally coordinate pressing buttons with the ring finger in the heat of battle. But the G700 also has some buttons on the side of the top buttons that can be bound to keys, if you really need them. I haven't found a use for them in any game yet but it's good to know they're there if I need em. I'm sure you'll enjoy the g700, it's really great.

Last edited:
Well.... I went ahead and bit. I hope my run-of -the-mill-average hands can do well with the mouse. Maybe I will have to go in for some genetic alterations.... maybe a mixture of platypus and marmaset DNA would do the trick!
Yeah, at $55 I really couldn't pass it up, considering that it is upwards of $100 some places.

Actually, we have a Cairn Terrier puppy (like Toto) and she is the worst, most badly behaved dog we have ever had! Damn cute though.... she is very interested in anything that looks like an electric cord, so my mouse cord just might get it someday....

Again, thanks for the useful information!

Cheers

LMAO! Well congrats... I hope it will work well for you, I have a feeling you will like it!
Yeah you definitely got a great price on it... you did well my friend, haha. I wish I had found mine for that price, but I still don't mind that I paid almost double that... I do love it that much.

Ah man...a terrier, I feel your pain, LOL! We used to have a little Jack Russel Terrier, I love him very much but he never ceased to get my blood boiling! :mad: He's gone now though unfortunately and I would take all the bad crap he did just to have him back. Do you find that your adorable little terrier very much enjoys rugs and/or carpet, LOL!? Mine did!

Not a problem at all, you're welcome... and I hope you enjoy your new peripheral. Be sure to let us know what you think too... bad or good.

btw, I believe you or someone asked if the 4 side buttons are easy to use, I find them very easy to use, in BC2, I have the lower-back button set to reload weapon, upper-back button to jump, lower-front set to spot, and upper-front set to throw grenade, it works very well and I think it didn't take me long to master, probably about 2 weeks or so.

Oh, you are giving me so ideas already.... I like to a side button for sprint, but having spotting right there would be really sweet! I use one for 'nade like you....

Sounds like there are a lot of possibilities with this mouse!

Also, some mice do put buttons on the right side, like the steelseries XAI, which I used to use, I never liked it even though I needed the buttons, I think it's just too hard to mentally coordinate pressing buttons with the ring finger in the heat of battle. But the G700 also has some buttons on the side of the top buttons that can be bound to keys, if you really need them. I haven't found a use for them in any game yet but it's good to know they're there if I need em. I'm sure you'll enjoy the g700, it's really great.

Wow, I am not familiar with the steelseries XAI... and I have an Akari (very nice mouse, actually). Yeah, I guess asking for another button is really crazy :)p), 10 should certainly be enough!

LMAO! Well congrats... I hope it will work well for you, I have a feeling you will like it!
Yeah you definitely got a great price on it... you did well my friend, haha. I wish I had found mine for that price, but I still don't mind that I paid almost double that... I do love it that much.

Ah man...a terrier, I feel your pain, LOL! We used to have a little Jack Russel Terrier, I love him very much but he never ceased to get my blood boiling! :mad: He's gone now though unfortunately and I would take all the bad crap he did just to have him back. Do you find that your adorable little terrier very much enjoys rugs and/or carpet, LOL!? Mine did!

Not a problem at all, you're welcome... and I hope you enjoy your new peripheral. Be sure to let us know what you think too... bad or good.

Yeah, I will give you my "review"... look for a bumb in this post. Love the price I got, the only bummer is waiting for it to arrive. I am looking forward to it. All those buttons!!!

On the dogs.... my friend has a Rat Terrier and he is not too bad now that he is getting older (he is mellowing). Yes, our Cairn is pretty damned distructive and you have to watch her almost constantly unless she is asleep (or you will find a present, maybe two and the cord on your paper shredder..... shredded - yes, she did that. Thankfully, it wasn't plugged in). God made dogs/puppies really cute for a reason, that is all I can say!

Take care yinzes.

Cheers

Ahhhhhhh! A Cairn Terrier! I lived with one for ten years so far (since it was 8 weeks old). You're in for quite a ride if yours is anything like a normal terrier. I run mine daily for 4 miles just to drain it of some energy. And the energy drain only lasts a few hours. Watch Cesar Milan episodes over and over and over, and then some more. He is very helpful in keeping your dog under control.

By the way, I just recently got a G700. Used to have a version 1 G5. The G700 is simply the best mouse I've ever had, period.

Yeah, I will give you my "review"... look for a bumb in this post. Love the price I got, the only bummer is waiting for it to arrive. I am looking forward to it. All those buttons!!!

On the dogs.... my friend has a Rat Terrier and he is not too bad now that he is getting older (he is mellowing). Yes, our Cairn is pretty damned distructive and you have to watch her almost constantly unless she is asleep (or you will find a present, maybe two and the cord on your paper shredder..... shredded - yes, she did that. Thankfully, it wasn't plugged in). God made dogs/puppies really cute for a reason, that is all I can say!

Take care yinzes.

I hear you, waiting on stuff you're anxious to try out is hard, haha! I'll be on the look out for your thoughts then.

LMAO! I think you're right about that... if they were ugly and repulsive then they wouldn't live very long in many cases! :p
Thankfully that shredder wasn't plugged in indeed... otherwise your little puppy would have looked like a porcupine and very well could have developed some psychic powers after that! :D

I received my mouse a couple of days ago (Yeah!). Oddly, I actually recieved two of them....but was only charged for one. I contacted the seller (eBay) and he is unresponsive. If I don't hear from him in two weeks, I think I might say... "Oh, well....";)

But anyway.... I will post again once I use it for a while and get to know the functionality, but my first impressions are very positive. The only thing that drove me nuts is that it wasn't evident that you have to replace your profile with the existing one.... I couldn't get the mouse to do anything I wanted it too and I was pretty frustrated! Thanks to Google, I figured it out.

Love the configuratabilty (is that a word?) and the layout of the mouse. One thing I don't like is the "finish". It feels gritty and weird to me... I want to wash my hands when I am done! I will get used to it. I'll keep some handee wipes by my PC.

Besides that, it seems awesome and thanks again for the advice, you guys didn't steer me wrong!

EDIT: BTW, any suggestions on a mouse pad? I have read that platic ones work better with this mouse.... I currently have a SteelSeries Qck pad (Fabric).

Last edited:
I received my mouse a couple of days ago (Yeah!). Oddly, I actually recieved two of them....but was only charged for one. I contacted the seller (eBay) and he is unresponsive. If I don't hear from him in two weeks, I think I might say... "Oh, well....";)

But anyway.... I will post again once I use it for a while and get to know the functionality, but my first impressions are very positive. The only thing that drove me nuts is that it wasn't evident that you have to replace your profile with the existing one.... I couldn't get the mouse to do anything I wanted it too and I was pretty frustrated! Thanks to Google, I figured it out.

Love the configuratabilty (is that a word?) and the layout of the mouse. One thing I don't like is the "finish". It feels gritty and weird to me... I want to wash my hands when I am done! I will get used to it. I'll keep some handee wipes by my PC.

Besides that, it seems awesome and thanks again for the advice, you guys didn't steer me wrong!

EDIT: BTW, any suggestions on a mouse pad? I have read that platic ones work better with this mouse.... I currently have a SteelSeries Qck pad (Fabric).

Well that's crazy... two of them huh? HAHA!
Glad you got the software to behave for you.
I don't have any problems with the texture, I like it... I didn't even think to mention that, sorry about leaving out that detail. I always used to use the cover with the similar texture on my G9 so I got used to that. You could always smooth it out at the finger contact points with a little sandpaper (granted it's a lot to do) or file your finger tips until there's no prints, LOL! Hopefully it will grow on you though. Glad you found everything else to your liking.

As far as a specific pad to use with it... I just use a cloth generic one (I like the slight drag created by cloth) but I've used it on my desk without a pad and on my leg (jeans) and I've not really noticed a difference in tracking, but I guess it depends on your level of sensitivity when it comes to mousing. I've found it pretty much tracks well on any surface I've tried. I hear some of the Razer pads are pretty good, but I've never tried them personally... like I said, I have the $2 generic black cloth one here, haha. Oh and one more thing... I used to use a plastic mousepad that had a slight texture to it... it seemed to eat my mouse feet faster than cloth... just a thought.

Back