• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Suggest me a card...

buzzard34

Gawd
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
619
I plan on upgrading the video in this system. My limits are $150 US and preferably has to play doom3 and bf2 pretty well. Oh yes and the presario is stock, no extra memory. I had my eyes on the 9800 series cards by ATi, but I'm also open to suggestions for Nvidia. Thanks!:D
 
doom 3 + $150 = 6600gt definitely.


Edit: waits for the spend more for the 6800nu folks...
 
Phranq said:
doom 3 + $150 = 6600gt definitely.


Edit: waits for the spend more for the 6800nu folks...
lol i was looking at that card...Btw Doom3 doesn't have to run at the max settings, 1024x768 w/no AA is just fine for me.
 
buzzard34,

I have a 3200+ Athlon 32bit cpu and a 9800 Pro 128mb and it kicks ass in doom3@1024x768/high settings 60fps & BF2 at 1200x1600 with all settings up high except for textures they are at medium and lighting that I also left at medium 60fps.

I bet you even have a more powerful cpu than mine and I can only imagine the amazing but rather unnecessary:eek: performance boost a 9800 pro would gain with such a next generation cpu backing it. I get 18K 2001 3d marks with my radeon 9800 pro and I have seen this score nearly double with a faster cpu.

3dmark01 - 17,322
3dmark03 - 5830
3dmark05 - 2495
9800 pro 128mb
 
i think the 6600gt would be worth it 159.99 a great price click here it is a good card i havent checked new egg prices but its probably the same. But if you are going to be doing any kind of gaming you are gonna need a 6600 at least


edit:may i add its only 9 dollars abouve of what you want to spend
 
Enjoy video games more with the integrated SiS Mirage2 Graphics (128MB of shared video memory)
Why do you think you need another video card? HP is saying this is plenty.

Here's the card I would get and you have $5 to put in your gas tank.
XFX 6600GT $145
 
Like my !! eVGA 6600GT , but it didn't play nice with my IC7-G .. Had very bad boot & corruption problems until i put an ATI video card in.. But the 6600GT works very well in my ASUS board ??? Bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with either component, but they do not work together....

This is the sort of crap that shouldn't happen (IMHO)



 
all marvelous suggestions, but I especially like the 9800pro advice since i seem to have better luck with ATi cards.

Edit: How well will a 9600pro run doom3, bf2 and all that?
 
buzzard34 said:
all marvelous suggestions, but I especially like the 9800pro advice since i seem to have better luck with ATi cards.
the 6800le unlocked to 12 pipes will rape a 9800pro
 
Yes I seemed to notice that on the reviews over at newgg.
tongue.gif
How easy is it to overclock? I haven't a clue to how to OC
 
My vote goes to the 6600gt/6800nu. I'm an Ati guy, but they just dont have anything great at the $150 dollar range. You could get the 9800pro but I don't know how long it would last you.
 
6800le for liek 135 at newegg right now, most can unlock it to run 12 pipes! and even more can make it run 16 pipes!
 
I(illa Bee said:
6800le for liek 135 at newegg right now, most can unlock it to run 12 pipes! and even more can make it run 16 pipes!
i already reccomended that now help me convince him!!! :D
 
Lol you guys have been great. I'll seriously consider that card and probably get it, but it only has DDR, not DDR2,3, etc...lol who am I kidding. I'll get it as soon as I scrape up the change.:p
 
since you want to play doom3 go with the Nvidia 6600GT that can't go wrong and its performs better then the 9800 in almost everything.
 
buzzard34 said:
Yes I seemed to notice that on the reviews over at newgg.
tongue.gif
How easy is it to overclock? I haven't a clue to how to OC

Its very simple to Overclock, even a noob ocer can do it.
 
ughhh... that cooler on the xfx is a pile of dog shat :p

but yea, 6800nu/le
 
how well would a 9200SE work on my system? Just curious to how well it would play HL2 and all that...Please don't flame me for suggesting this!:D
 
buzzard34 said:
how well would a 9200SE work on my system? Just curious to how well it would play HL2 and all that...Please don't flame me for suggesting this!:D
not meant as a flame, but don't even think about it...... that card is slow as hell on Unreal Tournament 2003, I don't even want to imagine HL2.....

Edit: Don't even think HL2 would work on that card, it's actually a very low-end DX8.1 card, doesn't really support DX9
 
Back
Top