Suggest best gamepad for pc....

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
+1 for wireless 360 controllers on PC. I got 4 or 'em to use for hot-seat games on my HTPC, and they work great!

I've started using the 360 controller in left hand and mouse in right hand for consolized games (mostly been playing Sants-Row2 and Worms-Reloaded on HTPC), so I get the best of both worlds - easy analog movement for driving, and precision aiming for shooting.

FYI (in case this wasn't already mentioned - I didn't read the whole thread) you only need one PC-360 controller, and if you need more controllers for MP, just get regular XB-360 controllers (cheaper). The controllers are exactly the same - only difference between PC and XB versions is the PC one comes w/ USB receiver, and the receiver can run up to 4 controllers, so you only need 1. I made the mistake of ordering 3 of the PC version before I realized this, so now I have extra receivers sitting around that I'll never use.

So I just got the new Lara Croft game...I couldn't help it, I have suffered through them all...so now it becomes apparent that a game pad is the way to go. Now don't get me wrong, i typically think game pads are for my neodweeb little nephews to play there gameboxthingy games...I AM A KEYBOARD AND MOUSE GUY...err, so I am stuck with this new Croft game which has clearly been ported from game pad land....what to do, what to do?

Can anyone suggest the best game pad for pc? Or should I just say fuckit...is it possible to return or give away a steam purchased game?

Probably the most popular and supported controller will be the Xbox 360 controller for windows. I am also a keyboard/mouse guy myself. But try playing Street Fighter IV for the PC with a keyboard and mouse, yeeeeah ;). Most of those games have an xbox 360 profile already built in like Street Fighter IV and Darksiders.

I absolutely hate that Microsoft basically bought the controller market. Logitech and some other companies made some fantastic controllers but MS has paid so many game devs to include native support for theirs it's insane. Hell in GTA4 it wasn't even possible to use another controller when it first came out without a config hack. It's bullshit and I hate it.

Even if the 360 didn't have native support, I would still choose it. I think it feels awesome. Its comfortable, has weight to it, and works phenomenal.

Microsoft is smart, and logitech could easily pay up to the company's so they can get native support too. I highly doubt Microsoft is paying off game companies to not allow support at all for other controllers.

My first statement still stands though. Out of every controller I have ever used, the 360 controller is the most comfy ;).. Also if you don't mind if its wired or not, Razer is making a new 360 controller that is pretty sweet.

http://www.razerzone.com/thenextchapter/

Its call the Razer Onza.

Even if the 360 didn't have native support, I would still choose it. I think it feels awesome. Its comfortable, has weight to it, and works phenomenal.

Microsoft is smart, and logitech could easily pay up to the company's so they can get native support too. I highly doubt Microsoft is paying off game companies to not allow support at all for other controllers.

My first statement still stands though. Out of every controller I have ever used, the 360 controller is the most comfy ;).. Also if you don't mind if its wired or not, Razer is making a new 360 controller that is pretty sweet.

http://www.razerzone.com/thenextchapter/

Its call the Razer Onza.

Oh, hot damn! It has a GOLD PLATED USB CONNECTOR!

Probably the nicest thing (or maybe the worst) about the 360 pad is that pretty much every game in the last few years has come pre-programmed for it using the same control scheme as the console counterpart.
The downside is that often times the game won't let you re-program the buttons. Usually they're mapped intelligently, but sometimes they'll go against the standard layouts and it can be frustrating.

You can use xpadder to reprogram them.

Last edited by a moderator:
xpadder wouldn't be needed if devs weren't lazy bastards.

Oh, hot damn! It has a GOLD PLATED USB CONNECTOR!

There is more to it then that.. I personally like the material (that rubbery plastic stuff) and the analog sticks feel more responsive and have a better feel to them. I don't like the fact that it has to be wired though...

Has anybody used the new logitech F series...I think 710, 510, or 310...they are compatible with directinput and xinput...which it seems makes them compatible with the xbox controller...does anybody know if they are recognized as an xbox controller for game compatibility?

I absolutely hate that Microsoft basically bought the controller market. Logitech and some other companies made some fantastic controllers but MS has paid so many game devs to include native support for theirs it's insane. Hell in GTA4 it wasn't even possible to use another controller when it first came out without a config hack. It's bullshit and I hate it.

it sucks that a dev would make the 360 controller the only supported gamepad, but MS's decision to get the 360 controller supported on the PC was a godsend for a lot of people. Especially for button mapping (nothing was more annoying that seeing "press button 13 to continue" in games) and the build quality. I've owned tons of game pads over the years from logitech to gravis and every single version I've owned that had an analog stick would fail within a year. The deadzone would usually start to drift until it was completely unusable (and of course, the drivers never had any type of deadzone sensitivity control)

Since going to a 360 controller, I couldn't be happier. It fixed both of my biggest pet peeves about using a gamepad on a PC

So it appears that the Logitech F310 operates in both xbox controller mode and direcrinput mode...there is a switch on the back and when set to x it is instantly recognized as an xbox conroller by windows. Flip the switch to D and you have a fully programmable Logitch game pad.

The unit itself is comfortable and well built. I will play a little tomb raider using the controller in xbox emulation and let you know how things go.

Logitech Chillstream
P3600 Cyborg Rumble
Razer Onza
MSXbox360
any other dual trigger pads ?

So my verdict on the Logitech F310 is in. BUY IT.

You get very nicely built logitech gamepad with included profiling software and with the switch of a button it is fully xbox compatible...Tomb Raider recognizes it 100% as an XBOX controller as does windows, so I extrapolate that so will everything else.

The F510 and F710 look nice too...I .just don't need cordless or force feedback.

Disagree with all of you. The only normal controller worth using is the sega saturn usb controller which can be found on ebay for cheap and it has the best dpad around.

If you need a controller with dual analog then you might as well use a mouse and keyboard.

I would have said the 360 controller just because its standard. Having read about the PS3 drivers on here, I decided to check them out again as last time I tried getting the PS3 controller to work via bluetooth about a year ago didn't go very well. Anyway, I found the drivers now work very well and have a profile to act as a 360 controller. So, my vote goes to the PS3 controller because I prefer it to the 360 controller.

The Logitech F series do look good, tho, but I have yet to touch them. Stay the hell away from the Dual Action and the Rumble.. the analog sticks have squares at their base which make them pretty useless.

Went through a couple of 360 ones but they all had issues with the dead-zone in the left thumbstick. There basically isn't one, they all drag off to one side, which is a problem for racing games.

Disagree with all of you. The only normal controller worth using is the sega saturn usb controller which can be found on ebay for cheap and it has the best dpad around.

If you need a controller with dual analog then you might as well use a mouse and keyboard.

Analog sticks work better for many 3rd person games designed to be used with a controller, racing games and flying games and probably a few other types of games that I'm forgetting.

Personally I think the 360 controller is best. It sucks how MS monopolised the controller market, but that said its still a very good controller. I personally can't stand PS1/2/3 style controllers and most the cheaper controllers I've used feel.... cheap.

The Razer Onza looks interesting though. Might have to pick one up if they aren't too expensive.

Analog sticks work better for many 3rd person games designed to be used with a controller, racing games and flying games and probably a few other types of games that I'm forgetting.

Not really a dpad works just as good if not better. Analog sticks are worthless and have never provided any better control than a good dpad. I can understand why you would assume that if you had an xbox 360 controller, worst dpad ever.

Not really a dpad works just as good if not better. Analog sticks are worthless and have never provided any better control than a good dpad. I can understand why you would assume that if you had an xbox 360 controller, worst dpad ever.

Sorry, but you're just plain wrong here. How in the world do you give half gas for example on a digital pad in a racing game or steer slightly instead of full? Oh wait, you can't.

Uhhh, no. As ScYcS said, you can't do gradual inputs into a racing or flying game with a dpad. Likewise for 3rd person games designed for a controller (I'm thinking games like Assassin's Creed, Star Wars: TFU, etc) an analog stick allows for gradual inputs to either control the rate of movement (move stick slightly to walk and heavily to run) or move the camera either slowly or quickly.

The Xbox 360 Dpad does suck big balls... but that said I have barely used a Dpad in the past 3 generations of consoles except in things like fighting games (going back to the N64). Basically since games have been 3D and free running rather than 2D like pre-N64 days, analog sticks have been useful.

My main gripe with the PS2/3 controller is that the analog sticks are in a position that hurts my hands to use.

Sorry, but you're just plain wrong here. How in the world do you give half gas for example on a digital pad in a racing game or steer slightly instead of full? Oh wait, you can't.

Why in the world would you use an analog stick for throttle? That would never feel right. On the dpad it's called tapping the button instead of holding it down to steer slightly. As an avid gtr racer I couldn't stand using analog sticks, dpad was better, but I now use a steering wheel.

For everything else use a mouse or flight stick. Analog sticks have no place on a pc.

Why in the world would you use an analog stick for throttle? That would never feel right. On the dpad it's called tapping the button instead of holding it down to steer slightly. As an avid gtr racer I couldn't stand using analog sticks, dpad was better, but I now use a steering wheel.

For everything else use a mouse or flight stick. Analog sticks have no place on a pc.

An avid GTR player would just use a wheel :p That game sucks with anything but a wheel IMO (coming from someone who has owned a G25 for 3 years ;)).

Different strokes for different folks, I think you'll find a large number of people buy a controller for PC these days because of the analog sticks. Tapping a Dpad is a huge step backward compared to an analog stick, IMO, we're not in the 90s anymore :p

does anyone know how to activate deadzones for the xbox360 controller (wired) on a Windows 7x64 System ? I need them for older games e.g. Richard Burns Rally tried all from DXTweak ControlMK Xpadder to XBCD/360

Different strokes for different folks, I think you'll find a large number of people buy a controller for PC these days because of the analog sticks. Tapping a Dpad is a huge step backward compared to an analog stick, IMO, we're not in the 90s anymore :p

Seriously. That's the mentality that keeps PC control schemes from ever advancing. Everyone's so convinced that a keyboard and mouse are the end-all be-all for everything that nobody ever advances the concept to include anything more advanced. Tapping and toggles...REALLY? That's one of the major advantages pads offer. Variable movement and buttons.
It's like owning a car with a gas pedal that can only be inactive or on the floor. I'm sure you can tap it to make it work, but there's a better way.

at least for racing games it would be awesome to have touch sensitive analog arrow keys =) but i think APPLE bought the patent :( and gamepads are more healthy for my back and relaxing aswell , i mean i can lay up my legs and sit more comfortable, used xpadder to bind the mouse to my analog stick which was unefficient but still some kind of cool, browsing the web with a gamepad xD

Seriously. That's the mentality that keeps PC control schemes from ever advancing. Everyone's so convinced that a keyboard and mouse are the end-all be-all for everything that nobody ever advances the concept to include anything more advanced. Tapping and toggles...REALLY? That's one of the major advantages pads offer. Variable movement and buttons.
It's like owning a car with a gas pedal that can only be inactive or on the floor. I'm sure you can tap it to make it work, but there's a better way.

pc control schemes don't need to advance, we have access to everything consoles do and our own variety of devices. Consoles need to advance. I would love to see if you could beat my lap times using an analog stick compared to me using a dpad.

I would love to see if you could beat my lap times using an analog stick compared to me using a dpad.

And that is relevant how? :p I know guys who play LFS and are deadly fast with a keyboard, faster than I am with a wheel... does the mean a keyboard is superior or that I should be using a keyboard? Fuck no! Just because you've spent a lot of time practicing with tapping the Dpad doesn't make it superior. I haven't used anything but a wheel for racing sims in, ohhh, about 3 years.

I'll say what I said previously, different strokes for different folks ;) Just because you dont like it doesn't mean others (and probably the majority) share your opinion. You'll find a lot of people like controllers on PC because of the analog sticks. Personally I wouldn't bother with a controller that only has digital inputs... I might as well use a keyboard.

People bashing the keyboard+mouse setup are missing a big part of the picture. I hate playing any sort of game that requires precise control (i.e. driving, aiming) on a controller period.- Its clumsy as fuck- I blame it much to the fact that you're depending on your idiotic thumb to make lightning fast and precise movements (for ex. cod and aiming), and it just doesn't work- or it does but takes a long time to condition in retrospect to traditional key+mouse setup.

There is no comparison to a high-sensitivity trackball where you can use your entire hand to aim. People constantly accuse me of using aim bots but truth is you can aim instantly when you're using all your fingers- you develop muscle memory for a given amount of movement on the screen, depending on how often you play. Spring-loaded sticks just don't give you nearly as much control. Its evident on 90% of the kill cams on xbox that people are relying mostly on luck to kill someone....

The only good reason (in my personal opinion so calm the fuck down) to get a controller is those who wish for a more tactile interface, esp. in racing and flight sims. Not only for increased control but just for the damn fun of it, who the hell wants to fly a plane with arrow keys?? Doesn't work very well anyway. For this reason I have a logitech momo force for racing, saitek x45 for flight sims, and good ol' keyboard and mouse covers everything else. In my personal opinion game pads really have no real purpose and is just stuck in existence because of their inception with the first consoles. For me, gamepads are 50% why I don't play on consoles.

As the OP I thought I would chime back in. I am an avid keyboard and mouse guy since, well, was it the original wolfenstein? Maybe earlier...in any case I am a retard with a game pad due to lack of experience, and yes, I am prejudice against them though the reasons are becoming less clear...maybe PC bravado...in any case, here I am with my brand new Logitech F310 playing the new Lara Croft game...the first time I have given a game pad a serious effort since playing one of the halo games on my nephews xbox like 3 years ago...and I like it.

Don't get me wrong, my favorite genre is first person shooter, and I will be back with the keyboard and mouse just as soon as the new MOH or Fallout Vegas is in my hands, but in so far as every once and a while a good port/game pad game comes around, (Like the new Lara), I am really enjoying myself and I am glad I made the jump.

Can anyone suggest more modern games that they prefer a game pad over KBM?

BTW..this rounds out my controllers to a Saitek Cyborg X joystick, Logitech MOMO wheel, Logitech G9 laser mouse, Razor Lycosa keyboard, and now the F310...happy hunting!

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, my favorite genre is first person shooter, and I will be back with the keyboard and mouse just as soon as the new MOH or Fallout Vegas is in my hands, but in so far as every once and a while a good port/game pad game comes around, (Like the new Lara), I am really enjoying myself and I am glad I made the jump.

Can anyone suggest more modern games that they prefer a game pad over KBM?

I agree - there are some games which just make more sense with a gamepad - RTSs, FPSs, and a number of other genres don't fit the bill, but platformers and brawlers certainly do. Recent examples like Bionic Commando: Re-armed, Darksiders, most racing games (provided you don't have a wheel, which would be another step up) typically play better with a gamepad. They just make more sense.

I'm a die-hard PC gamer, and the ability to choose what input method I would like to use is one of the selling points.

Yes. Leave our thread. ;)

The D-Pad SUCKS on the 360 controller. I tried to play Bionic Commando rearmed with it, and it's impossible to use on platformers like this. I can only imagine how frustrating megaman 10 would be on it. It's much safer to stick to the Wii-mote with bluetooth driver or PS2 control to usb.

Last edited:
the 360 controller worked great for the few games I have used in. those games include Batman AA, Gears of War, Assassins Creed, and Ghostbusters.

the 360 controller worked great for the few games I have used in. those games include Batman AA, Gears of War, Assassins Creed, and Ghostbusters.

Sure, but I bet those games don't depend on the D-pad for major elements of gameplay like aiming or moving. Try to play Tetris or a platformer.

Back