• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Suggest-a-use for my old comp

AtomicFire

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 7, 2001
Messages
1,214
I've got an OLD OLD P133 16mb ram 1gb hdd here from Gateway that was given to me.

I wanna do something with it..but i can't think of any ideas.
I want something along the lines of media player or something with home automation...etc.etc but I just can't think of anything right now.

It'll be running a bone stock minimal install of RH9.0 Linux on it. I know my way around linux so its not a problem to be poking around.

Right now i'm thinking of a music jukebox for my other room streaming from a server inside my house.

I just want ideas that scream GEEK...haha

Thanks for your time...suggest away!
 
I would like to know the answer to this problem also, I have a similar rig, except it a IBM Thinkpad, and would like to know some uses for it also. Sorry if im derailing, but do you know if RH or Fedora can install over FTP/HTTP? Unfortunately the laptop can only boot from floppy.
 
guito13 said:


I would...but that would eat up all my P133 cycles :p
As for the lappy, get a bootable floppy that has support for a PCMCIA network card...and you're golden! I did it this way with an old old 755Cs that I had.
 
If you have a wireless router, get a wireless pci card for it and turn it into a file server for your home.
 
shadowbreaker513 said:
If you have a wireless router, get a wireless pci card for it and turn it into a file server for your home.
Already got one...

Dualie AMD MP 1.9 ghz

...

:)
 
the only suggestion i can make for a pc w/ those specs is: go to a shooting range w/ a buddy, or out in the middle of nowhere, and just completely destroy the thing. its great fun :D :D

and dont forget the sledgehammers and nades :p

jk about the nades... unless you really have one to spare :D
 
Tell you what; take the computer to a back alley, bring a sledge hammer, and then give the computer a face lift. People need less junk in their homes. If you don't want to waste, give the computer to the Salvation Army. A P133 is JUNK!
 
slowbiz said:
Tell you what; take the computer to a back alley, bring a sledge hammer, and then give the computer a face lift. People need less junk in their homes. If you don't want to waste, give the computer to the Salvation Army. A P133 is JUNK!


Heh half the fun is getting shit to run on old old hardware...I had a PHP\mysql webserver running once on a AMD 386 12MHz...boy that was fun :D it really didn't serve a usefulness until I turned it into a linux router (cable to whole house)...and it finally died when some mice in the basement decided they needed a warm home on top of the motherboard. It didn't even have a case...it just sat on 2x4's for over a year.

Heh..stuff like this is exciting to me...maybe i'm just f'ed up but hey to each his own right?
 
slowbiz said:
Tell you what; take the computer to a back alley, bring a sledge hammer, and then give the computer a face lift. People need less junk in their homes. If you don't want to waste, give the computer to the Salvation Army. A P133 is JUNK!


I did that to my mx700. :D
 
Back
Top