Sufficient power for Evga 6800 Ultra

spin02

Limp Gawd
My Evga 6800 Ultra should be arriving any minute :) . I currently using an Antec Neopower 480 PS. My original plans were to install a 6800 GT. That deal didn't work out and I ended up with the Ultra. Will my Neopower be enough or should I consider upgrading?

Evga GeForce 6800 Ultra
Antec NeoPower 480
Cooler Master Wave Master TAC-T01
Thermaltake Venus 12

Yes, it should be fine. Just remember to give the card 2 dedicated leads from the ps..

Here is my complete system info. Thanks in advance for the help

Evga GeForce 6800 Ultra
Audigy 2 ZS PP
74GB WD Raptor
Sony DRU-510A
Cooler Master Wave Master TAC-T01
Antec NeoPower 480
Thermaltake Venus 12

It might be and it might not, depending on all the power draining sources in your system. I had a thermaltake 480 watt psu in my system and it was fine when I was running a 9800 pro. But after I put the 6800 ultra in it, I had problems. But my system needs alot of power for all the drives, fans, cold cathode tubes, etc... After removing a fancard and a cathode tube, it was fine but I could'nt even add another case fan or it would crash. I upgraded to a enermax 550 watt psu and it solved all the power problems (36a on the 12v rails opposed to 18a that I was getting with the thermaltake). Just try it out, may be fine but if you have problems, then look at upgrading the psu.

So the card would need 2 dedicated lines from the psu? :rolleyes: I have a truecontrol 550 and I have hard drives up the wazzoo...guess I'm going to have to unhook some of them.

No it dosent, thats BS...it dosent need 2 whole dedicated lines...what a waste of two molex connectors.

Im useing just one dedicated line, yunno the ones where it has a second molex split off the main one. I have my card at 433/1.22 at the moment, and play Far Cry all the time, no problems.

EDIT: But then again I do have a PCP&C 510-Deluxe. ;)

Dojo | Warlord said:
No it dosent, thats BS...it dosent need 2 whole dedicated lines...what a waste of two molex connectors.

Im useing just one dedicated line, yunno the ones where it has a second molex split off the main one. I have my card at 433/1.22 at the moment, and play Far Cry all the time, no problems.

Unfair :( This antec better not piss me off. :mad:

My 9800p needed it's own line...im scurred. :rolleyes:

Dojo | Warlord said:

That's great that it works for you that way but...the cardmakers themselves recommend 2 dedicated lines. With as many people having issues getting these cards set up correctly it's a good idea to eliminate a possible problem from the beginning. I seen more than one person on these forums solve their "perplexing" problem by simply giving their cards dedicated lines.

Dojo | Warlord said:

Dojo Warlord,

you have the best power supply in the industry, of course it works ! :)

spin02,

have a look at this (power supply drawing):
eVGA instructions

Thanks

François

whoa whoa whoa, the deal didn't work out and you ENDED UP with a 6800 ultra?

life must be really tough for you. :p

Actually had ordered a 6800 GT. The company said they were mistaken about the availability of this when it was listed as "in stock". Then I stumbled across an Ultra for $525. It was a really a bit out of my budget, but I couldn't resist. I received this card today. It is incredible. I will post benchmark and overclocking results as they come about. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

bvincent said:
It might be and it might not, depending on all the power draining sources in your system. I had a thermaltake 480 watt psu in my system and it was fine when I was running a 9800 pro. But after I put the 6800 ultra in it, I had problems. But my system needs alot of power for all the drives, fans, cold cathode tubes, etc... After removing a fancard and a cathode tube, it was fine but I could'nt even add another case fan or it would crash. I upgraded to a enermax 550 watt psu and it solved all the power problems (36a on the 12v rails opposed to 18a that I was getting with the thermaltake). Just try it out, may be fine but if you have problems, then look at upgrading the psu.

Thats a thermaltake 480.....a hell of a lot different than the antec neopower 480

antec neopower >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anything thermaltake

The neopower will be fine.

computerpro3 said:
Thats a thermaltake 480.....a hell of a lot different than the antec neopower 480

antec neopower >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anything thermaltake

The neopower will be fine.

No doubt, the thermaltake PSU's are weak. Why I ever bought one, I have no idea, will never make that mistake again.

I don't think you need absolutely 2 dedicated lines.

I have an Enermax 460W.

It's 12v rating is 33A.

I run one dedicated line to the PRIMARY connector and then I put another one in the SECONDARY that has 3 80mm fans on it too - works just great. 3 Fans don't draw that much power.

Back