Sudo Naked Folding Concept

Sunin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2008
I've been thinking about my setup and wondered if I could design something that would make the various systems a lot happier. Reason being is I know my A/C is going to be cut off soon and I've got to manage temperatures for a farm of 12 Q6600 and 17GPUs

Soo...

I was thinking of a setup with shelves that roll out so you would have easy access to the motherboards, memory, etc., and would allow for mounging of the PSU's on the sides in a up down config to allow heat to rise.

I was thinking a 3 tall by 4 wide configuration. The motherboards would be horizontally stacked with some solid metal between them in order to keep heat from moving to the tier above, well that and adding a row of fans in the front of each, probably (4) 120mm fans wide.

This would of course result in me getting rid of 12 computer cases. I am not sure how much room I would save, if any, but I wonder if I would get better air flow. How much restriction in air flow is caused by my cases?

Would this be easier for servicing the farm? would this profile allow for me to get the overall space of my farm down?

Is it worth investigating? What is yoru opinions?

PSU's in 3x4 config on the side.......
I would be inclined to use plywood for mobo 'shelves' since they are not conductive to electricity or heat. Say 1/4" plywood/MDF/masonite (or less if structurealy sound).

Mounted on fly-weight drawer slides - you may be onto something in total. ALthought I also question if results warrant effort (unless you "just want(ed) to".

If you made is SSD/Flash based, you may be able to reduce some heat there as well.

Sounds like an interesting effort, but I question if a small Server rack is really what your after.

Going from cases to case less has some ups and downs.

The cases (I assume) have really good airflow now.
You will have to make sure you have a fan to move air across the boards.

Also, I like cases to keep each boxen neat and tidy.
Really hard to do cable management with no case.
Also more of a risk to have something hit it or get on it (beer spills ??)

I was planing on using rack shelves for my rack systems (next year in my house), but i decided on using cases instead.

Looks more professions, and keeps the area clean.

I think your plan is do-able, but keep the things in mind.

I think you would be better off just moving the boxen around more to limit heat production in areas of your residence.

Too much Linux on your mind? :p

I wish I could use the Sudo Naked command on people!

I'm flattered.

I had to Google the word.

I would like SUDO naked and SUDO clothed options... some people should not be allowed in public dressed, or undressed, the way the are. If you are gonna get some naked, you gotta get some dressed as well. Some people should dress like the Unabomber. "Zip that coat up!"

T052290A.jpg

Sorta reminds me of the folding stacks Turmelle built a LONG time ago. Naked boxen, stacks with fans, all on threaded dowels with spacers.

Sorta reminds me of the folding stacks Turmelle built a LONG time ago. Naked boxen, stacks with fans, all on threaded dowels with spacers.
That setup was one of the densest I've ever seen for a folding farm and I still have pictures of it. I think it would still be considered awesome today as a concept, but I don't know how effective at cooling video cards it might be.

Are all the boxes the same exact specs? Power supplies, boards, cpu cooling, graphics cards, etc?

Are all the boxes the same exact specs? Power supplies, boards, cpu cooling, graphics cards, etc?

Various PSUs, various mobo's, All have TRUEs, and various GFX cards.

I gotta think the added cost of the "rack" may outway the benefits. As others have said, I would think making it more "professional" looking would be harder. I've been told by my wife that nekkid boxen are not allowed in our house. She has a funny sense of humor: She indicated if I wasn't at liberty to run around nekkid, my boxen can't either

You know, after reading this post I think too many people are concerned with how your farm looks, now I can understand where you don't want your farm to look too disorganized or so ugly it'll scare children or upset the wife :( Ive been dealing with mostly [H]ard core "computer hobbyist" with the old mindset of "I don't give a sh*t what it looks like as long as it works" Fortunately for me my boxen are located in my apartment, in my bedroom, plus I only have three (3) boxen runin' ATM.

That's probably a big reason why I'm single and intend to stay that way. To coin an old "Bushism" "it's either my boxen or tha' highway" (err..., my way or tha' highway :rolleyes:)

FOLD ON

If I was single, "cleanliness" would be moot as I would certainly say screw y'all. This is my stuff and I like it like that :)

But I'm married (as are many). We have to appeal to our better halves fashion sense. My wife likes a clean and well decorated home. She's even bought Ansel Adams paintings for my office to "spruce" it up. Plus when we have guests over and she gives the grand tour, she has a habit of forgetting that my office is a mess and opens the door. Having nekkid boxen would send her over the top LOL

I'm completely interested in performance and most importantly cooling performance. I've done a lot to get the temps to stabilize between 80 and 83F... its a lot of work. Thus I'm interested in this aproach with much more air flow.

Avoid cold breezes and you should be fine :D

Hey brother Xilikon, don't forget the "sun tan oil" :D

BTW, I really didn't mean to offend anyone with my "anything that works and the hell with how it looks" statement (thank God ATM I'm single). Not being born under a "rock" or living in a "cave" I completely understand how some wives would go "bananas" with a messy lookin' farm in their house or apartment. IMHO the wives (females or whatever your significant other is) generally takes more pride in their homes acetics. I'm not saying males are slobs, I'm just sayin' males have more tolerance for a stray sock on the floor, pictureless walls, messy desk or "naked boxen". (oh yeah, and "naked female" pictures too :eek:)

Just my opinions ;)

FOLD ON!

Hey brother Xilikon, don't forget the "sun tan oil" :D

BTW, I really didn't mean to offend anyone with my "anything that works and the hell with how it looks" statement (thank God ATM I'm single). Not being born under a "rock" or living in a "cave" I completely understand how some wives would go "bananas" with a messy lookin' farm in their house or apartment. IMHO the wives (females or whatever your significant other is) generally takes more pride in their homes acetics. I'm not saying males are slobs, I'm just sayin' males have more tolerance for a stray sock on the floor, pictureless walls, messy desk or "naked boxen". (oh yeah, and "naked female" pictures too :eek:)

Just my opinions ;)

FOLD ON!

All my boxens have cases so I don't have any naked folding boxes :D The main reason is that they are disseminated around the condo and I have a 4 1/2 yo son who love to touch everything. By putting in cases, I avoid cut fingers and dead hardware ;)

Back