Suddenly System Restore is missing?

I mistakenly used Regcleaner on a dual core install. next thing I know System Restore is no longer available. Brand new XPpro install.

Error message pops up claiming "sysdm.cpl" is missing.

Any ideas? Can I get this back without having to reinstall AGAIN?

Every tab on "system" control panel works except system restore.

I'm guessing you did'nt use the backup option? If I remember right, Regcleaner makes 1 backup.

Does it give you the otion of disabling system restore? If so, do it...most people/places will recommend that.

Does it give you the otion of disabling system restore? If so, do it...most people/places will recommend that.

He doesn't HAVE system restore anymore.........its gone. And I would'nt tell anyone to disable it anyway, unless they've made the decision themselves - and are more than a novice user.

Lets try to fix this instead of "sweeping it away".

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx..........check Regcleaner. I used to use it, and I think it keeps ONE registry backup, and try to restore it. Let me know what happens.

BTW: sysdm.cpl is a control panel file that is linked to "System properties and the Add New Hardware wizard".....so its understandable why you get the error (system restore is in the system properties). You would think the whole thing wouldn't work instead of just system restore.........but whatever.

Found this too:
Click Start, click Control Panel, switch to Classic View
and double-click Folder Options.

2. Under the View tab, click to check "Show hidden files and folders", and
uncheck "Hide protected operating system files", click Ok.

3. Launch Explorer or double-click My Computer, locate to C:\Windows\inf,
right-click on SR (SR.inf) and select install.

4. If the system requests the XP CD, please insert the CD into CD-ROM and finish
the installation according to the instructions.

Should fix it, and create a restore point too.

Monkey, you are a goood goood little Monkey. that fixed it. Somehow regcleaner croaked on the A64 dual core and broke SR. I wouldn't want to trust any restore attempt by RCleaner under the circumstances.

Thanks a million.

Back