Suddenly getting lower fps then usual (About half). Possibly a process is causing it

Lately I have noticed my fps were lower then normal when playing WoW and I thought it might be because of a patch or something. I have a HD 3870 and normally get around 80fps or so and I'm only getting 30-40 now. I downloaded new drivers and it still was getting low fps. I tried doing a selective startup and the fps seemed to jump back up to normal.

So I went into my startup options and disable a few things but I still can't get a normal startup and get my old fps back. Is there some common program that will ruin fps, or is there a way to determine what program is doing it?

Thanks for any help

Welcome to the 3.0 patch. Mess around with draw distance, shadows and ground density/distance.

Yeah but I can get back to about normal framerate (~80) if I do a selective start up. So it seems like its a a program or process that is eating up my fps.

Yeah but I can get back to about normal framerate (~80) if I do a selective start up. So it seems like its a a program or process that is eating up my fps.

Hmm.. im not sure then. I know my fps took a dive in the new patch, but it was just the new graphics settings. Check which processes are running and look at the memory they are using. If anything looks kinda fishy, look it up on google.

I have done a pretty good job on start up processes I think, but there is no process that is using over around 20mb of memory and its only one or two. Also none are using much CPU at all so that is why I'm having a hard time figuring out which one it is. It's really annoying!

P.S. thanks for the quick replies

Download Free AVG and scan your computer and see if it catches anything

edit: LINK

Ok, I used the trend micro online scan and it found a trojan in taskagr.exe or something. I removed it and also scanned with AVG and it only found a few cookies. This pisses me off because I have Norton Internet Security (which I'm believing more and more is just a waste of money and system resources) that didn't catch the trojan.

Anyways, with that fixed I'm still getting lower fps. I think I'm just going to enable the start up processes I use one by one until I find which is causing this.

Ok, I think I found out what is causing it. Its wmpnetwk.exe which is the windows media player sharing process. I use it to stream stuff to my xbox 360. I might start using Tversity to stream content and see how that works out. One process having that much effect on something is a little scary and very annoying.

Back