Sudden High CPU usage

oramac

n00b
I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I've recently had a problem where my CPU is running at 90+% capacity with relatively few programs running. My sig should be accurate for my build, and I'm running programs as follows:

World of Warcraft on ultra settings (main monitor)

Youtube via Geek & Sundry website (second monitor)

Also running Spotify.

I'm using Chrome (not sure which version), and I've already disabled all the addons/extensions for it, and still having the issue. The computer is ~2.5 years old, and never had this problem until about 2 weeks ago I noticed it.

CPU and GPU temps are fairly steady in the 60-65 degree range.

Thanks!

Can you open the task manager to see which task is using the processor? These days websites are a huge culprit.

I'm not in front of my computer right now, but as I recall WoW was in the 35-40% range, and Chrome (before I disabled extensions) was very high, around 60%. After I disabled extensions it dropped down to the ~10-15% range, but I still had the issue. Every other program was less than 10%. Most were less than 5%.

ALL the info you require is in the task manager.....open it up and see whats using it. It really is that simple. There are no hardware reasons for high cpu usage. Post a screenshot of the task manager if you need help understanding whats using all your resources

Here is a number to shoot for. Zero.

zkKMKxz.png

My laptop runs cool and quiet because I am OCD about turning off all of the useless background apps. Turn off the games and turn off Chrome and see where you are at. Get a baseline and then keep a close eye on things, every time you start an app.

Back