Successor to GTX590?

Blackstone

2[H]4U
So there have been rumors that there will be a successor card to 590 that is clocked more like a 580. This would be to compete against the 6990. Anyone heard anything?

I doubt it, but it's possible. I mean, considering it's going to be around 6 months for their next GPU's to come out, I can see it happening. I haven't heard anything though.

I understand what you mean about the Asus Mars, but at that pricepoint, it is neither a successor to 590 or a competitor to 6990. I'm talking about a dual slot card that would replace 590 in the lineup.

But then again, such a card would make the Mars irrelevant wouldn't it?

Yep petty much Blackstone. In terms of dual 580's on a single board the Mars is the only thing I've heard of. I actually got a chance to talk to a couple of nvidia reps recently about the 600 series but all they would tell me is that it is coming 'soon'. Bah!

I don't think there will be a successor to that till the 600 series comes out. Hopefully its early next year but I heard it was just going to be fermi with 28nm. Is that confirmed or is it just a rumor?

Nope, there is a GTX595 on the way. Whether or not it actually sees the light of day or not of course is another matter. I expect clocks to be pretty much exactly in between the GTX590 and the Mars II. That would keep the price below $1000, but allow it to compete almost like-for-like with the HD6990 instead of being quite substantially behind like the GTX590 currently is. The MSRP is likely to be a problem though. The GTX590 is already more expensive than the HD6990 despite its poor performance.

Ugh. You're going to quantify the GTX 590 as a "poor performer?" Seriously?

It performs consistently slower than the HD6990, it uses more power and it costs slightly more, so yes, comparatively speaking it's a poor performer.

I only commented because I think you're seriously selling it short and making it sound like a complete product failure. It's not like its they re-marketed a 6800 in modern times or something. :p

Consistently slower on most games - yep (usually not by much although there's a few games that it comparatively sucks at & a few that it's actually faster than the 6990 at)
It uses more power - yep (IMO you don't buy either card because you're "green" :D )
More expensive - yep ($40 / 5% but the 590's get a 3 yr warranty vs 1 or 2 for the cheaper 6990's)

But a "poor" performer? This things smokin' fast for a single slot solution & it doesn't sound like a leaf blower at full tilt. Personally I think that alone handily negates the money & power use; and lesser-so the slight performance hit on most games. Just my opinion though. Now if I gamed with headphones on consistently I'd probably have went with the 6990.

Last edited:
It all has to be taken into context. You could call the HD6450 or any integrated graphics solution a poor performer because they are, when compared to proper discrete graphics, but that's worthless. You have to compare products within their field. The GTX580 may be excessively costly, but it is undeniably more powerful than anything else in its class, so it's not a poor performer. Likewise, Intel's sandybridge onboard GPUs may be terrible compared to discrete cards, but for what they are, they're good performers.

The GTX590 is fast, very fast, that's undeniable, but there's nothing it does even as well as the HD6990, let alone better, and that includes the price, even if the difference is slight. Stack the price, power consumption and reduced performance on top of each other, and they form quite a compelling case for not buying a GTX590. As far as current dual-GPU systems go, it's a poor performer. An HD6990 is cheaper and better, two HD6970s are much cheaper and better, two GTX570s, also much cheaper, and better. For high-end ($500+) dual-GPU systems, the GTX590 is the runt of the litter, fast as it may be.

It performs consistently slower than the HD6990, it uses more power and it costs slightly more, so yes, comparatively speaking it's a poor performer.

No that is incorrect. It uses less power, is SIGNIFICANTLY QUITER, and it is not far behind 6990 in any benchmark. It does tend to be a little slower but it is almost neck and neck, and a lot of reviewers have recommended the 590 notwithstanding because of the noise issue.

The noise issue is significant to an audiophile like myself. My headphones are open design. Ultimately that is what clinched my decision, even though it may not be the strongest performing dual GPU system.

I figure 590 allows me to effectively skip Kepler, since it is unlikely that a single Kepler would perform much better than 590.

Last edited:
You should know by now nvidia lie about their TDPs...

power-load.gif

love my evga 590. allows me to run the bf3 beta in ultra. if somebody doesn't like it, thats cool - we all have our opinions but naturally im suspect of an opinion from somebody that's never used it.

It's not an opinion, it's just fact. It's still a tremendously powerful card, it's just slightly worse than the HD6990 in every way apart from noise.

Yea, it's called the ASUS Jupiter and it will have four GF110 GPU's on it on two pcb's that use a 4 slot cooler. It will also require a visit from your local power company before you're allowed to use it.

It's not an opinion, it's just fact. It's still a tremendously powerful card, it's just slightly worse than the HD6990 in every way apart from noise.

what are you guys talking about?

samuelmorris is correct, the 6990 is faster, look at all the reviews, not just one. i have a 6970 ati, but i really prefer nvidia cards, didn't have enough money to buy a 580 when i bought the 6970. btw the 580 is faster than the 6970.

i wish i had the $700 to buy a 6990.

btw who cares about power consumption or noise, it's a "Desktop" not a laptop...???;)

what are you guys talking about?

samuelmorris is correct, the 6990 is faster, look at all the reviews, not just one. i have a 6970 ati, but i really prefer nvidia cards, didn't have enough money to buy a 580 when i bought the 6970. btw the 580 is faster than the 6970.

i wish i had the $700 to buy a 6990.

Indeed, and the reason the GTX590 fares poorly is it is clocked so low to stay within the 370W specification that it actually runs about 5% slower than two GTX570s in SLI, let alone 580s. Add to this the slight superiority of crossfire scaling over SLI that makes HD6970CF and GTX580SLI a lot closer than the single cards are, it's not easy to see why it falls so far behind.

Back