Success story for AX850?

I have had one for a year, and have never had a problem with it making any noise. ~knocks on wood~ I don't know whether its PSU related or not, but my system will not restart at all. It looks like it closes down and then just stops. Probably motherboard related. Oh well, I will be replacing this old thing at at the end of the month anyway.

I got my replacement. It's much, much better. There still appears to be a tiny bit of noise, but it's not audible without putting my ear right up to the unit. Assuming it stays at this level (I've been using it all of 20 minutes as of this writing), I'd consider it a success.

Interestingly enough, it also appears to have sorted out an annoying "woodpecker" noise that had been coming from my Phantom's fan controller. On the other hand, I now have leisure to notice that my 6970 is buzzing at high framerates...

<turns on vsync wait> Ah, better. Now the only thing making significant noise is the H100 pump. Nothing I can do about that though.

Last edited:
3rd time's the charm I guess! My 3rd AX-850 from Newegg is dead silent :) Alas, I've missed out on my 21 day post-invoice time window for the $20 rebate due to having to return the original packaging each time but at least I have a nice quiet system eh? Thank god for shoprunner free return shipping, I'd be out another $30 in return shipping charges if not for that. I was able to get an advance shipment from Newegg each time by calling and giving them a credit card # to keep on file. The fully modular feature was extremely helpful here as I got to keep my cables as they were each time and simply swapped out the psu brick itself; An otherwise 30 minute pain in the ass turned into a 2 minute in-n-out swap ftw :)

I received mine when I rma'd my hx850 (the 8 pin atx cable became loose, leading to random reboots under heavy load), I was offered an hx1050 originally, but I asked for the ax850 instead.
Although, initially I wasn't to crazy about using a sanyo fan (they tick when undervolted), I am not able to make out the sound of the ax850 over my fans that run at 770 rpm currently at idle, and 950-975 under load. It's been reliable, and my spontaneous reboots are no longer a frequent occurance, also games seem to crash less.

I'm very happy with psu, and I'm sure that if you manage to get a good unit, you'll be happy too. Like anything it's the luck of the draw. I'm sure that most people who have this psu are satisfied with it, and don't post about it.

I have an ax850 in my system and haven't had a problem with anything to do with the psu. It's quiet, stable and reliable for me. The cables were long enough and easy to work with in the case.:D

This is good i am going with a AX850 for my next build so it seems like it all just depends but corsair has really good CS so thats good.
I contacted redbeard about a problem and he said that to make up for it since i needed a psu he would give me 50 off my next psu. That was really awsome so im waiting until Ivy bridge comes out so Sandy will drop in $$ hopefully anyways OT lol

For those that say their Seasonic is "dead silent" do you mean silent like a book or any other object without any moving parts? Silent like is this thing even on?

I just bought a Seasonic X 750 from Newegg during the black friday sales. There's a constant high pitch noise coming from the rear of the unit. I can hear it from 1.5 meters away. The noise is always present and doesn't change with system load. Is this normal?

Hello

I'm not sure,since a long period I heared a lot about it and it's making me wary of going to an AX series PSU. I'm actually RMAing my PSU right now due to excessive coil whine so to jump into the exact same situation is not something I want to do.

Dentist Marketing

Last edited:
Back