• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

subwoofer question

cleanncut

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 23, 2010
Messages
99
hi,

I use an ati hd5850 in my htpc(old part) and it is hook up via hdmi to a pioneer vsx1020 I cant get any sound outpout in the sub. i use the latest ati driver and shark007 codec package.

when using my ps3 I get sound in the subwoofer so I know it work.

any ideas?

thank
 
check to make sure you're outputting a signal greater than stereo to the receiver. go to playback devices, select your HDMI audio connection, properties, and it should be somewhere in there. generally, i output what ever the max setting is (7.1), and let the receiver downmix signals.
 
Are you just playing an mp3?


My receiver only sends the sub a signal if it has a track for it(surround sound)
 
I sending the highest 7.1 to it

same movie on ps3 will have sub so I really do not know.. I will have a look at it tonight.. I will trh with the upstair htpc (intel hd3000) hdmi output and see what appen.


Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android
 
right now it say PCM

if I fire a movie with VLC it wil say DTS if such track is available.
 
You need to enable LFE Crossover on your receiver.

Set your speakers to small in the receiver settings and set the crossover frequency to whatever your speakers are rated down to. Somewhere between 80-120Hz probably.
 
You need to enable LFE Crossover on your receiver.

Set your speakers to small in the receiver settings and set the crossover frequency to whatever your speakers are rated down to. Somewhere between 80-120Hz probably.

Electrical
Total Frequency Response 42Hz - 25kHz
Upper -3dB Limit 24kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 57Hz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohm
Efficiency 89 dB
Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 150 watts per channel
Inputs Dual (bi-amp) 5-way binding posts

this is what I get for my L an R speaker.

it is set at small and 80 right now
 
Electrical
Total Frequency Response 42Hz - 25kHz
Upper -3dB Limit 24kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 57Hz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohm
Efficiency 89 dB
Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 150 watts per channel
Inputs Dual (bi-amp) 5-way binding posts

this is what I get for my L an R speaker.

it is set at small and 80 right now

If you are set to small and 80Hz already then why the Subwoofer isn't playing is beyond me. Everythign below 80 should be redirected to the subwoofer.

See if you can do a full microprocessor reset of your receiver if you feel like it.
 
tried to reset the receiver and it's the same

I will try tomorrow. The kids are sleeping it's not the time to crank it up and see.. but I'm set up to small and 80hz. I made sure the sub dial is at 80 too.
 
I'm dropping the ball. My other htpc (i3 hd4000) will outpout sound to my subwoofer. but anything going through my hd5080 will not outpout sub. I reinstalled drivers and it wont change. maybe something is totaly wrongwith the computer. I dont feel like formating the thing :(
 
Don't format, if you can get sound out it is obviously not that low-level of a problem. You're missing a setting somewhere.
 
Last edited:
Ryom said:
Don't format, if you can get sound out it is obviously not that low-level of a problem. You're missing a setting somewhere.

I agree with you. it's a 5850, I made a typo. Im gonna keep looking, it's just a pain and it's really at the bottom of my lisst with Xmass fast approching



Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android
 
just a thought.. when you said the PS3 makes the subwoofer function.. was it on the same input into the receiver? or a different one? perhaps there's a setting on the receiver itself that needs to be changed...
 
Are you setting your speakers to "small" in the windows configuration?
 
Ryom said:
Are you setting your speakers to "small" in the windows configuration?

im not sure I have seen this setting, where should I look?


Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android
 
On Win7, right click the volume mixer -> Playback devices -> Select your receiver/HDMI out -> Press the configure button on the bottom left.

If you are just doing Stereo, go ahead and select the 5.1 option anyway and disable the rear and center in the options and leave subwoofer checked. On the next screen UNCHECK the full-range speakers option.
 
Ryom said:
So... did that help?

i will report back when I try. the htpc/sound system is stored now. I'm in the process of paintinf amd installing laminate flooring in my basement. It shoukd make it more kid friendly..



Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android
 
Don't format, if you can get sound out it is obviously not that low-level of a problem. You're missing a setting somewhere.

Have to agree. This is a setting somewhere. Formatting might solve it since your setting would go back to default, but then again it might not. Perhaps it's time to move up to a receiver and some good speaker. ;)
 
well... I did put erverything together with a new subwoofer cable from Monoprice and I dont know if the other one that I bough at bestbuy is shit but now I get my subwoofer working and I did not change anything else.

I will do a continuity check on the cable when I go back to work in 2 days and report. The reason for me changing the cable is totaly hazardeous, I needed a longer cable to relocate the subwoofer.

thank for all the help, greatly appreaciated.
 
Whats wierd is that you said other devices had sub output through the same receiver.
 
I know. I am puzzled but it work now and even if I dont like not knowing why it work, I will leaveit like that.


Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android
 
Back
Top