Subwoofer next to Desktop help.

OuTLaWzSm

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
204
I have a Logitech Z-5500, and I was re-organzing my room and was wondering if I put my tower right next to the woofer, like an inch away from it, its on carpet. Would the subwoofer fuck up my hard drives or components or anything or would it be alright?

thanks.
 
I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. Can't you place it the other side?
 
there is nothing the speaker can do to harm your tower... on that note there is no magnet that you would be able to even get in your house that would unless you have a floppy or cassette tape drives.

dont worry about vibration either. the carpet will kill anything that leaks from the box.
 
Nope, it should be fine.

there is nothing the speaker can do to harm your tower... on that note there is no magnet that you would be able to even get in your house that would unless you have a floppy or cassette tape drives.

dont worry about vibration either. the carpet will kill anything that leaks from the box.

Why don't you go try it sometime before you say that. The hard drive is susceptible to very strong magnets which is exactly what a sub is.

My friend set his ipod next to his subwoofer, it jacked the ipod hard drive so bad that he had to go to the apple store and they gave him a new one. I wouldn't put the sub next to a hard drive, my sub is about 2 feet away, no problems experienced.

Edit: My friends is a 12" home theater subwoofer, mine is the same, you could get away with having it closer to your desktop but I would not recommend it.
 
only a bit of research is needed. info is widly available on this subject and it all leads to magnets being perfectly safe around the computer other then what i mentioned above. on top of that there is a powerful electromagnet inside the hard drive itself and the mere use of the hard drive would cause damage. any damage to the ipod was likely from vibration which is common in such a situation.

OP... if you dont feel comfortable with it dont do it but if you need to place your sub nearby it will not damage anything. my z680 sub was next to my tower (maybe an inch or so) for 3 years and no problem other then the amp dieing about a year ago -my fault-
 
Why don't you go try it sometime before you say that. The hard drive is susceptible to very strong magnets which is exactly what a sub is.

I think you fail to appreciate just how strong the magnets are inside a hard drive, how shielded a drive is, and how fast magnetic force decays with distance. Here's a test: put something made of metal on the surface of the subwoofer like a key. If it doesn't stick, or even feel any attraction (and it won't in almost all cases) then there's nothing to worry about.

When you are talking about something through a HD case and a computer case and a sub case the strength of magnet you'd need to do anything would epic, and would do a wonderful job of grabbing the drive and pulling it over.

Magnetism isn't voodoo. For real fun, get a gaussmeter and check levels. Note the amount of background magnetism due to the Earth's field and other things. Then measure how close you have to get to a magnet before it starts producing any significant change.
 
Why don't you go try it sometime before you say that. The hard drive is susceptible to very strong magnets which is exactly what a sub is.

My friend set his ipod next to his subwoofer, it jacked the ipod hard drive so bad that he had to go to the apple store and they gave him a new one. I wouldn't put the sub next to a hard drive, my sub is about 2 feet away, no problems experienced.

Edit: My friends is a 12" home theater subwoofer, mine is the same, you could get away with having it closer to your desktop but I would not recommend it.

Okay, my linux box is sitting next to my 8" sub and my 12" woofer full range speaker, it's fine. Really.

...though it's not fine that I can't afford a 12" sub :D
 
Even though it may not do much harm, I still won't advise you to place it so close. Better to be safe than sorry.
 
Even though it may not do much harm, I still won't advise you to place it so close. Better to be safe than sorry.
Not *may* or *much*, it won't do any harm at all, no need to sow the seed of doubt here. This is a really old topic in audio forums, one with a pretty unanimous consensus.
 
Hard drives in today’s computers are pretty well shielded however common sense says why take any chance at all. That aside I’d be a lot more worried about the vibration. While there might not be any immediate problems again, common sense should come into play, why would you want to subject your machine to constant low frequency vibrations?

The first most susceptible item in your computer would be your optical drive, the only way the anti skip works in portable units is because they use a memory buffer but drive skip problems that were mechanical were never directly addressed.

Your hard drive admittedly if far better built but if vibration were not a possible issue they wouldn’t publish specifications on the subject.

If I absolutely had to do what you propose I would isolate the case from the subwoofer with a product like this:

http://www.sorbothane.com/custom_ac1.html

I’d suggest the ones that are about 2” in diameter shaped like a half ball. With that setup you could put your tower on a 15” sub with 500 watts behind it and the vibration won’t get to your case. I used that site as an example but sorbothane feet are available many places and they really do work.

Enjoy your new speakers:)


 
BillR, i like those... i am on tile and they look like a nice replacment for the rubber cones under my pb12-nsd.

OP has his an carpet though, so spikes or nothing. most likely nothing since it is not a stand alone sub.

mostly good ideas here but none change the fact that you are safe no matter what placement you choose.

any thoughts on what you are going to do yet.
 
Back
Top