• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Subwoofer hum.....argh!!!!

Sifu

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
85
I just got the z-5500d, and was working fine for a few weeks. Then I went to attach the wires for the rear satellites. Next time I turned on the speakers, the sub had a distinct "hum" which is very audible to me and does not change volume - ever. Also, when I switch modes on my control panel, the sub makes a little "bump" noise.

This hum persists even when all satellites wires are removed from the sub, and plugging the system into a different circuit makes no difference.

Any ideas?
 
Sifu said:
I just got the z-5500d, and was working fine for a few weeks. Then I went to attach the wires for the rear satellites. Next time I turned on the speakers, the sub had a distinct "hum" which is very audible to me and does not change volume - ever. Also, when I switch modes on my control panel, the sub makes a little "bump" noise.

This hum persists even when all satellites wires are removed from the sub, and plugging the system into a different circuit makes no difference.

Any ideas?
Do you have any other wires or electronic devices that could be creating EMI interference?
Could be that something's not shielded correctly, and "nosie" is getting into the system somehow.

Try moving them to another part of thouse and plug them in and see what happens if you can.
 
I appreciate the suggestion. That would probably solve my problem if I'd had this problem from the beginning, or significantly changed my setup somehow. But all I did was hookup one rear speaker which was previously unconnected - and the hum appeared. Needless to say, moving the sub, etc., hasn't helped.

There seem to be a fair number of other people who've had this problem with the z-5500. It's just a bummer, as the speakers are a great setup. But I think I'm going to have to return them. I cannot stand the sub hum!
 
dang that sucks... I dont get any humming... just RMA them... you would only have to send in the control pod.. and keep the rest of the speakers.. and they will probably send you a whole new package :p
 
Back
Top