• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

subwoofer help

Joined
Oct 17, 2007
Messages
557
My current setup is Yamaha Htr-6140 receiver and two Polk monitor 60 speakers. I'm considering getting a polk psw125 subwoofer, but I'm not really sure what to get... It seems like a good option. I'm just wondering if there's something else out there that would be better at the price point. Thanks
 
I'd guess that isn't a bad choice since it ought to match the speakers to a reasonable degree. In the price range the only sub I've any real experience with is the JBL ES150P. It is a good sub for the money. Nothing stellar, but then it is under $300 so you can't expect the world.
 
polk's inexpensive subs usually aren't bad, the psw125 is a good unit, and should match very nicely with your m60's, assuming you take the time to set things up right
 
What do you mean by set things up right... like where I position it in the room or something else i'm missing.
 
The good news is your receiver should do a decent job figuring that out for you. It has YPAO which is Yamaha's calibration technology. It will, among other things, check the levels and crossover and set them for you. You may wish to adjust it further to get what is an ideal sound for you, but it should get things pretty good automatically.
 
BIC f12, BIC V1220, Dayton SUB-120 are all better and cheaper options
 
Slightly more expensive, but I would take a look at Energy's ESW-V10 or BIC Acoustech's H-100 if you want a 10" or larger sub. For a slightly more musical 8" sub, I would take a look at the Dr. Hsu designed Dayton ES8 or a used Energy ESW-8 (twin of tsc's ASW-8) at under $100, or for $200, Energy's premium ESW-V8. Whatever you do, stay away from Polk subwoofers. Also, from what I've heard, Dayton's budget subwoofer don't use MDF. Instead it's some sort of paperboard or LDF.
 
why stay away from polk whatever i do?

because he's an audiophile and wants to bitch about something, I don't know

honestly theres nothing at all wrong with Polk, especially if you've already got Polk speakers, I'd just go with it tbh

and is it me, or does it seem like Energy is going to some great trouble to virally market itself on these boards :eek:
 
because he's an audiophile and wants to bitch about something, I don't know

honestly theres nothing at all wrong with Polk, especially if you've already got Polk speakers, I'd just go with it tbh

and is it me, or does it seem like Energy is going to some great trouble to virally market itself on these boards :eek:

While I've never used polk subs, when I was looking for one I checked out some. it seems that they don't go very low, only like 35hz
 
Polk subs are definitely nothing to write home about, you can do better, but need your budget.
 
Back
Top