Substitute Phone Aims To Help Overcome Smartphone Addiction

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Vienna-based designer Klemens Schillinger has designed a set of 5 substitute phones to provide a "therapeutic approach" to help smartphone addicts cope with withdrawal symptoms. The substitute phones are made from a heavy acetal to replicate the weight of a smartphone, with stone beads embedded to provide physical stimulation as a substitute for phone usage.

No word from Klemens Schillinger on if this will ever be for sale, or what the price would be. As tempting as it is to mock it, I'm sure all of us could think of at least 1 person we would like to buy this thing for.

"Some of these finger movements – like zooming in, or moving up and down – were born with the smartphone," the designer told Dezeen.

"The Substitute Phones allow these movements to be felt by scrolling on the marbles that are integrated into the case, something which is a clear differentiation from fidget spinners or fidget cubes."

It's basically a fidget spinner. They ought to add a button on the side/top, since that is the one most of us press on instinct when we pull our phones out of pocket.

I could actually see this working, as it could help separate the motion from what, as Master_shake_ pointed out, is truly addictive about the phone. Roughly akin to getting smokers to chew gum instead.

I think if a person has gotten to this point that we need to thin them from the herd.

Last edited:
Pretty sure if you suffer from "Cell Phone Dependency" you have other, far more outstanding mental issues to tackle....treat the problem, not the symptoms :)

To correct my teens smart phone addictions the solution is a couple of weeks at camp and no phones at the dinner table or when we have company. They are also to be charging on the kitchen counter when they head to bed. The kids have found they get more rest and more out of being together when the temptation to use them and the texting disruptions are removed;)

The proper solution: take the phones away from said people. If they persist, take the phone, slap them with it, and clearly and plainly tell them "KNOCK THAT SHIT OFF!!!" and that's that.

The "Pet Rock" was a far better product (which really sucked).

So what about something for addiction to boobs?
Blow-up doll for $100?

To correct my teens smart phone addictions the solution is a couple of weeks at camp and no phones at the dinner table or when we have company. They are also to be charging on the kitchen counter when they head to bed. The kids have found they get more rest and more out of being together when the temptation to use them and the texting disruptions are removed;)

what? Is that actual parenting at work?? What is this witchcraft you speak of?

And now they hate you :wtf:

(seriously though, good parenting (y) )

phones...

so over the long weekend me and the wife went to san francisco. While there i would come across many travelers from afar, i could tell from their language being spoken. and sadly.. these people that had traveled far to come to a really pretty area, many were glued to their phones

And now they hate you :wtf:

(seriously though, good parenting (y) )

Thanks! My 14yo son is hating me big time atm:LOL: Just before Thanksgiving, I went online to check his grades and found out he's missed several assignments in various classes. I told him that he needed to work on them over the weekend and talk to his teachers (who are all very nice) on Monday.:banghead: If he missed anymore assignments, he'd lose access to all electronics for a month.

Yeaaah... Monday came and he didn't turn in any of the work for reduced credit nor did he talk to his teachers about the work or any issues he was having with it.:eek: So, he had to bring me his phone, tablet and laptop. He needs to ask me for the laptop for schoolwork, I changed his password on the PS4 to lock him out (it just sits there laughing at him) and TV only when he shows me he's current on his work.

I told him those were the consequences of his actions and inactions and I'd not be lied to when I ask about his work being done when he's glued to the PS4. *STOMPS off to room*:rage:

Tuesday night at dinner, he realizes there's little more than two weeks of school before the holiday recess. A recess without access to the PS4:arghh: *STOMPS off to room*:rage:

I can't hide my grinch smile when he does that and it makes my black heart grow three sizes bigger knowing he'll be better for it when he comes out the other side!:ROFLMAO:

He really is a smart and AWESOME young man! He just needs some painful (to him) correction as a reminder to get back on the rails the 2-3 times a year he leaves them;)

I had to share as I know most relate from his side, mine or both ROFL

He really is a smart and AWESOME young man! He just needs some painful (to him) correction as a reminder to get back on the rails the 2-3 times a year he leaves them

Cool. Don't forget to tell him that now and then. It's hard to hate someone who is nice to you for long (y)

Back