"subscribe to" exchange 2007 distro group?

Berg0

[H]ard|Gawd
Had a question come my way earlier this week, and hopefully the answer isn't a "LMGTFY" type of thing (did a quick google search, was disappointing)

We have a heterogeneous shop with windows and linux servers, and windows and OSX workstations. Entourage is a bitch, so that might be the hard part. I have people wanting to subscribe themselves (not me just delegating management rights for distro groups) to distribution groups. I've seen this in other e-mail systems, but I"m not sure how to go about this in exchange.

Basically, functionality would be "we're going to start working on project "X", so someone makes "[email protected]" distro group and bob, ted, and [email protected] all add THEMSELVES to the distro group through Outlook, Entourage, and OWA.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: LOL @ "Eschange and "29007"", I put the "pro" in "typo"

Last edited:
In outlook you go to the properties of the group and then if you have permissions you can add or remove users from the group. You may or may not be able to do this from OWA 2007, pretty sure you can't in 2003. Entourage I have absolutely no idea about I'm afraid.

Yea, easy enough for me to go into the exchange management console and add/remove users form a distro group, but the desired functionality (I don't desire it, tbh, but people with more authority than me do :p) is to have a user "join" a distro group on a whim and not to need to submit a ticket to get someone to do it for them.

It sounds like you are really looking more for a listserv. For Exchange, only 2 exist that I am aware of. GFI MailEssentials contains one and Active Subscriber @ http://www.ikakura.com/. Neither of which are particularly cheap. Price is usually a good way to convince higher ups that they really don't want what they think they want.

Just don't tell them you can do it in Linux for teh cheap. ;)

Price is usually a good way to convince higher ups that they really don't want what they think they want.

EXACTLY.

I know that sounds horrible, but for a feature that may not even get used 2 months down the road, why do you want to waste time on it?

I'm *kindof* adopting a "drag my feet" type of thing... I figure if someone wants something bad enough, they'll keep after me about it. Whereas the pity and useless waste of time requests, all fall off the table.

Back