Sub not moving for Music

Hades16x

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Sep 24, 2003
Messages
3,976
So I need to fix this, even though my left and right channel produce a great range of sound, its still not right.

While watching movies on my HTPC in mpclassic or media portal I have 5.1 audio, the sub does move, work etc..

Listening to music through itunes I get 2.0 audio.

Here is what I have:
SB0570 sound card connected to my Onkyo 705 via those creative 7.1 cables to my Polk speakers.

Is there a plugin I need to use? Winamp? Something I need to configure in Vista?

Any input?

Thanks,
Michael

Edit:
both my PS3 and 360 will use 2.1 when streaming from my computer(s).
 
I'm a bit unclear, but the sub does not work at all?

Is it even on? Is the volume on the sub turned up? Is it wired properly? Have you checked the fuse?
 
He stated that the sub does work when listening to native 5.1 audio, but does not work when he is listening to music.

It could be itunes. I hate using itunes for music, it has too many random quirks that screw things up. Try using WMP for starters, and then try winamp if that does not work.
 
Yeah, I missed that part at the end. Still, it doesn't make sense.

Could you explain or show some pics of your wiring?
 
DSC00081.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00083.jpg


I dont understand why you want to see the physical wiring.

The whole system works flawlessly. I can watch DVDs through the 360/ Blu-rays through the PS3, even Blu-ray rips on my harddrives(ones that I own of course) through my HTPC with full 5.1 sound. The sub works, it has excursion.

But I cant listen to music with ANY program on my HTPC in 2.1. Even MPC, which plays my movies in 5.1, will only play my MP3's and CD's in 2.0.

If I pop that CD in my 360, poof, it works - 2.1.

The sound system works, and works flawlessly. I just feel like Im missing a codec, or some setup that tells the MP3 audio to be decoded into 3 channels, instead of two.
 
Sorry about the wiring, I just like to see it. ;) Nice back panel btw. :)

I don't use surround on my PC but I think I might know what it is...

Open MPC audio options > Internal Filters. Try checking AC3 and DTS.
You may have to restart MPC. You can can also double click bold entries for more options, so you may have to check the LFE box for those filters as well as MPEG Audio. LFE should be your sub channel. I should mention that I'm using MPC Home Cinema. I've uploaded the latest version for you here -> Media Player Classic Homecinema [1.1.867.0]

mpctp8.png
mpclfezw1.png
 
Those are all checked buddy :-(

Here is my detailed expansion of AC3 Filter listening to music:
DSC00090.jpg


During movie playback:
DSC00091.jpg


Is it simply the fact that since Im using those "True audio" cables (Input x gain) = Output?

Maybe it's not converting anything?
 
I'm guessing the XBox and PS3 have some sort of software DSP that captures low frequencies and outputs a bass channel. On your AC3 Decoder, try enabling bass redirection.

ac3fi1.png
 
I dont see "bass redirection" in AC3 Filter

I guess in another side note, getting music to play though MPC fine is one thing, configurable codecs make this possible.

But as a music player, it sucks at least for me. I like the GUI of Itunes/WMP...etc.
Anyway you can see to get this to work on something a more music friendly program?

I realized that Im running an older version of AC3 Filter. Wonder if thats the problem. I gotta get to class and take a few tests, but when I get home hopefully AC3 Filter 1.51a will work.

Anyone else want to chime in?
Anything about Winamp/itunes/WMP?
 
No, it's there in version 1.46 too. If you have the tray icon enabled, you can toggle it on/off there. Otherwise, you'll have to enable it in the Mixer tab.

Anyway, I'm surprised your receiver isn't doing this already. There may be an option to create a LFE channel for normal 2.0 inputs, but it's probably some computer surround thing I've never encountered with my traditional HT setup.

Do you have 5.1 selected in Advanced Audio Properties?

aapqe4.png
 
You either need to enable bass management in your creative drivers or on your receiver. Music is 2.0, so if you want to run your sub either your card or receiver is going to have to pass the frequencies.
 
Back
Top