Sub Folder Compare Utility?

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been using the command line for comparing files but the fc.exe doesn't include subdirectories.

I just need a basic utility for comparing to directories. I copy a lot of files, and i'd like to be able to check if everything got copied properly.

Google turned up quite a few results but i'd like to get a recommendation from you guys. Thanks :)

Last edited:
If you have Visual C# 2010, or can figure out how to install the free version and compile a program, I wrote a free C# program to check for duplicates, it would probably serve your purpose. Here's the link to the source: http://poshcode.org/2428

I also wrote a powershell script that does the same thing, but powershell is much slower, but you won't have to compile, just run the script, it's at: http://poshcode.org/2617

Both will tell you how many files were found in the specified locations, and how many matches there were and list matches so you know what files were copied correctly, and they use SHA-512 hashing.

If you don't mind using robocopy instead of xcopy, you can use it to copy and log errors (both verify errors and exclusively locked files) in one step with a batch file:

Code:
@echo off

verify on
robocopy sourcedir destdir /e /v /r:1 /w:1 /log:copylog.txt

find copylog.txt "ERROR"

All errors encountered copying files are displayed and stored in the "copylog.txt" file.

Robocopy has a ton of options to do a lot more too.

@devil22
Unfortunately, it's been a long time since i've used Visual C =P

@pxc
Thanks. Not exactly what i'm looking for in this particular case, but i've had more than enough experience of my files getting corrupted after copying it to an external drive or on another PC (Hence, why i use fc a lot). Robocopy sounds like what i'll be using from now on.

Data loss is unavoidable, and there's a certain error margin a system is rated for. But when you move a lot of files, that slim error margin piles up fast!

Here's what i've really been doing:
I've been backing up my files to DVD, but my closet is getting full so i've decided to start backing them up to a 2 terabyte harddrive (They cost about the same, and takes less space). The thing is, every time you stick that harddrive in your PC, it runs the risk of getting modified by a virus or a wayward utility. So i've decided to just treat the harddrive as an electronic DVD case and just keep burning 9Gig ISO images into it (My nero doesn't burn blueray ISO's :( ).

Once i put an ISO in there, it's not going anywhere. No defragmenting, no moving, the data is not to be moved. I can mount the ISO with daemon tools and it's automatically read-only. And when on the backup drive it's just seen as one big ISO that programs normally don't mess with. If a trojan tries to get in, it'll be easy to spot amid all those ISO's.

Now the critical part is at the time the image is burned into the ISO on the backup drive. I'll need to verify that the files are correct (Also had a lot of instances where i burned a DVD and it corrupted for no reason). Unfortunately, nero doesn't do verifications for ISO's, so i'm trying to look for a third party utility that'll compare the ones in the ISO with the one in my temp folders. So i'm planning on mounting the finished image into daemon tools, and do a file compare on the virtual drive.

I need it to be this way rather than an actual backup utility because ISOed files are easier retrieve and i already have a file tracker, it scans all my DVD's, CD's, and archives/labels all the files. (i.e. i need adclick-nike-8405.rar, it tells me which spindle the cd it's on is amongst the hundreds). I don't know if this'll actually work, but i just got a sata docking station and i'll know if this system works in a year.

Back