Sub Amp issue

Trimlock

[H]F Junkie
Hello all,

I've been working on this for hours, no idea how I messed this up or why it isn't working. I've been involved with a DIY sub project for a few weeks, mainly due to the long shipping time to get my UM18 out here. I'm doing a wire test before I put everything into the box I built (Box is good, baffle is iffy as it was done by rough measurements, but test fit is fine it just looks dopey)...

The setup:

I have the UM18 voice coils connected in series for 4ohm's

I have it connected to a SpeakON Neutrik, 4 pole connector but I'm only using the +1/-1

The receiver is a Denon X1200W and the amp is an iNuke 3000DSP, the two are connected via an RCA to XLR cable

The issue is I'm getting nothing to the iNuke, using the DSP software I see it is getting nothing from either the PC or Cable (Time Warner). The receiver settings I have tried are LFE+Mains and LFE only with a mixture of setting my mains to small and large. Tried resetting to factor defaults, still nothing.

I'm starting to think my receiver has a bad sub pre-out (tried both pre-outs), but that wouldn't make sense as its just acting as a pass through. Even using the sound test on the menu settings the sub is getting nothing.

For the sub I've checked countless times to make sure it was wired correctly, I even tried connecting it just a single set of voice coils and still nothing.

This really sucks lol. This is supposed to be a simple hook up and nothing is working! Was really looking forward to jamming out with this in a sealed box. Is there a special setting I'm forgetting that lets the Denon pass a signal to the power amp?

I'd probably start by setting the sub to LFE+Mains and change the audio to either Stereo or Multi-Channel Stereo. See if you get anything from the sub using the test tones using these settings. You could still have a bad sub pre-out as I believe they are tied together internally on the lower-end Denon receivers.

I'd probably start by setting the sub to LFE+Mains and change the audio to either Stereo or Multi-Channel Stereo. See if you get anything from the sub using the test tones using these settings. You could still have a bad sub pre-out as I believe they are tied together internally on the lower-end Denon receivers.
Thank you for the response. I'll try more with the settings but I didn't think this sub pre out was tied together that's a bit disappointing honestly.

I also have a feeling it might be the RCA to XLR. I have a new one coming in to test.

Test RCA out using a front speaker channel you can verify has an output.
Then you'll know whether to troubleshoot the AV amps config or the connection to the iNuke and iNuke setup.
Your sub speaker can respond to lower mid range.

I assume you are not seeing anything coming into the iNuke when using the USB software?
If you can see the levels change but have no output, the problem is the the 4 pole output connection, using wrong input plug socket or the amps config is messed up/too low output.
I've attached some diagrams in case you have been mislead with the neutrik connectors somehow.

ps I use the 3000DSP for a seat shaker, its a mofo!
I dont suggest putting it in bridge mono mode unless your speaker can take 2080W RMS.
You can get the amps full power with 4 ohms.
There is a limiter but its easy to mess with the settings or load a saved profile that will violate the speakers safety.

I'm running 8 ohm which gives me a peak of around 1.5KW and RMS of 1.22KW in bridge mode.
My Shaker is good with this, hehe.

neutrik wiring.jpg
Speakon wiring.jpg

ps the Neutrik output connectors are in parallel with each other.
Each connector can do dual channel mono bridged or single channel so this cant be plugged into the wrong socket.

Last edited:
Test RCA out using a front speaker channel you can verify has an output.
Then you'll know whether to troubleshoot the AV amps config or the connection to the iNuke and iNuke setup.
Your sub speaker can respond to lower mid range.

I assume you are not seeing anything coming into the iNuke when using the USB software?
If you can see the levels change but have no output, the problem is the the 4 pole output connection, using wrong input plug socket or the amps config is messed up/too low output.
I've attached some diagrams in case you have been mislead with the neutrik connectors somehow.

ps I use the 3000DSP for a seat shaker, its a mofo!
I dont suggest putting it in bridge mono mode unless your speaker can take 2080W RMS.
You can get the amps full power with 4 ohms.
There is a limiter but its easy to mess with the settings or load a saved profile that will violate the speakers safety.

I'm running 8 ohm which gives me a peak of around 1.5KW and RMS of 1.22KW in bridge mode.
My Shaker is good with this, hehe.

View attachment 7462 View attachment 7463

ps the Neutrik output connectors are in parallel with each other.
Each connector can do dual channel mono bridged or single channel so this cant be plugged into the wrong socket.

Hey man, thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by testing the RCA with a front speaker, unless you mean plugging a speaker into the iNuke?

Correct, the DSP software isn't registering anything playing, the iNuke isn't seeting the sub pass through from the receiver. The DSP software I have set up with a limiter (300watts) some DB settings, and a HPF of 80hz, everything is essentially set at 80hz right now.

I agree, these iNukes are nuts! the fans aren't even that loud anymore although they are bright... Glad you like yours, I'll be upgrading to a 6000DSP when I build 3 more of these, or what ever is out at the time :)

Edit I hacked the wire a bit to make sure the isolate wasn't going to both pin one and two, here's my awesome soldering job:
image.jpeg

I mean, use the low level RCA out from your AV amp for the front speakers- to feed to the iNuke. Dont connect to the sub channel for now.
You can be guaranteed there is a signal from the front speaker RCA outputs, even if the bass is redirected.
The sub channel is only in use where there is .1 information or you redirect bass to it. But this can go wrong or there may even be a fault.

Even if there is still nothing coming out of the sub speaker, you will see a signal in the USB PC software if there is a signal going in.
The input signal indicator is not affected by any of the iNukes config options, it will always register an input that is loud enough.
Your first priority is to make sure it is able to receive a signal through your RCA to XLR lead.

I buzzed out my RCA to XLR to confirm your lead is wired correctly and it looks good but photos can be misleading.
Looking directly toward the 3 pins end on, with the triangle of pins like a pyramid pointing up, the bottom left pin is signal, the other 2 are gnd.
If you have a multimeter, buzz the pins from XLR to the RCA connector to confirm and make sure signal and gnd are not connected.

Ah gotcha, when I get back I'll see if this works or not.

Yea, in the picture I hard bridged the pin's 1 and 3, the wire that is scotch taped (lol) was the original connection so I was just making sure that wasn't a splice from the RCA isolate/single pin.

edit: So I dug up my older powered Klipsch sub, which when connected was able to produce sound when connected directly to the receiver, so it must be an issue with the iNuke and/or cable.

Last edited:
I had a similar, but maybe not related issue. You have to select bridged or left only or something. I really can't remember ATM, but it had to do with the channel and bridging in the menus. It took a couple tries (using the PC software helped a lot), but it went from no audio to playing perfect.

I had a similar, but maybe not related issue. You have to select bridged or left only or something. I really can't remember ATM, but it had to do with the channel and bridging in the menus. It took a couple tries (using the PC software helped a lot), but it went from no audio to playing perfect.
You know I was about to try bridged mode but I'm still stuck being stubborn and trying to get this single channel to work.

Hah! got it to work, re-worked the solder joints, messed with some settings, killed a chicken and it works!

Settings must be messed up, I have gain turned all the way up from my receiver and a little bit more on my iNuke and I'm barely getting any excursion. Granted its out of the box and I could benefit from bridging it. But for now I'm very happy. Thanks all for the help! You rock!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12.6 KB · Views: 38
Back