Sub $700 Netbook

zachary80

2[H]4U
I haven't really been keeping up with things, so I'm looking for recommendations for a netbook.

Here is what I need:
160gb
2gb of ram (or upgradable 1gb)
at least 1mp webcam
at least wireless g
bluetooth 2.0
at least atom 270
at least 2 usb ports
6 cell battery

Features that would be nice:
Fingerprint reader
HDMI/DVI out (720p)

This will be used in addition to my q6600 desktop, mainly for traveling and class. I'd like to be able to use it for skype, so a nice integrated webcam is helpful. I have a logitech 9000, but I don't think there are any netbooks in my range powerful enough to use it in high quality mode.

Last edited:
Either the Samsung NC10 or the Asus 1000HE has everything you need, and are probably the best all around netbooks available. Neither have a fingerprint reader or HDMI out though. The Asus can be had for around $350 and the Samsung for a little over $400.

Thanks for the quick replies

I shouldn't need a video card for what I'm doing. I wanted the HDMI/DVI out because my primary monitor is my hdtv; the fingerprint for convenience. I saw the MSI Wind has face recognition for passwords, is there software to do this on other machines?

NC10 vs1000HE

The NC10 is thinner and lighter, has card reader
The 1000HE gets better battery life, has wireless N, faster FSB

Anything I'm missing?

Last edited:
I post this in all of these netbook threads regarding HD playback.

My Aspire One with no GPU acceleration plays back 720p h264 video with CoreAVC without skipping the deblocking filter and no dropped frames.

I post this in all of these netbook threads regarding HD playback.

My Aspire One with no GPU acceleration plays back 720p h264 video with CoreAVC without skipping the deblocking filter and no dropped frames.

I've seen these posts; also how Hulu doesn't work well at 480p because of flash. I want the output to my TV just as a monitor, not concerned with HD playback since I have the desktop and a bluray player (although it wouldn't hurt)

I was posting that more as general information. More often then not in these threads, uninformed people come in saying that no netbook will play HD video.

for $700 you can get a kickass laptop with a few deals...why not price out a 13" laptop?

Most of the cheap laptops I've seen are chunky enough to look like they come with windows ME installed..... Any suggestions on where to start?

I had actually been browsing the site. That 13" inspiron doesn't look too bad - can be decently configured for 700, without any sale going on. Cons are no dvi/hdmi out, 5lb + more to get decent battery life

My Components
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6400 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Edition SP1
Pacific Blue
Integrated 2.0 MP Webcam w/Facial Recognition
1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 (2 Dimms)
Size: 160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive)
85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini-Card
Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

I had actually been browsing the site. That 13" inspiron doesn't look too bad - can be decently configured for 700, without any sale going on. Cons are no dvi/hdmi out, 5lb + more to get decent battery life

I just bought my wife the Inspiron 13 for $500 after tax. Here's the specs I got for her:

Core Duo T4200 2.0Ghz
160GB HD
1GB RAM
DVDRW
Webcam/Mic
6-cell battery
Dell 1395

I already put 3GB RAM in it and swapped for an Intel wifi card. Like I said, it's for the wifey but my impressions:

Pros:
- price
- size
- decent size/weight, not great but better than the Vostro 1400 it replaced

Cons:
- no option for matte screen
- tried to put in the Intel wifi N card but no gray cord to plug into the N wifi card
- fingerprints on glossy back
- speakers are terrible

Another suggestion for the laptop alternative to a netbook would be a lenovo x61 or x61T if you want a tablet. I got a x61 Tablet for $650 after live cashback (ebay), but the regular x61 should be slightly cheaper. It has a 12" screen, weights ~4lbs, 1.6-2.0ghz dual core, and 1080p isn't a problem. Down side would be no hdmi/dvi, bigger than a netbook, 4:3 screen, and only about 1.5 hour battery life on a 4 cell.

Last edited:
I decided to just spend a minimal amount of money, especially considering how quickly these things go out of date. I ordered the Lenovo S10 deal off of slickdeals. 330 for everything including a sleeve and taxes, with the 6cell battery. I've already ordered the internal bluetooth upgrade and cas4 memory, totaling about an extra $40. I've also looked into installing the quickboot (linux in 5 seconds) and facial recognition software, both for free. I really like the form factor of it over the competition, and with these upgrades, its a winner.

Back