• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sub-$50 Headphones

CEpeep

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Messages
6,061
I'm looking to get some headphones for college in a few weeks. I don't want to keep anyone awake listening to music in the wee hours of the morning, and I find speakers cumbersome with my laptop.

I'm currently looking at the HD 201s. These look like a great set for the money. Any other suggestions?
 
DO NOT get the hd201s get the HD202s I got them and there way better than the hd201s I got them for 25$ off amazon.
 
rcf1987 said:
DO NOT get the hd201s get the HD202s I got them and there way better than the hd201s I got them for 25$ off amazon.

HD 201 > HD 202

If you don't mind clip-ons, I recommend getting KSC75s. Amazing sound for $10. They're probably the greatest bang-for-buck headphones out there
 
Backslash said:
HD 201 > HD 202

If you don't mind clip-ons, I recommend getting KSC75s. Amazing sound for $10. They're probably the greatest bang-for-buck headphones out there

I can't stand clip-ons. I have funny shaped ears and clip-on headphons really hurt for me to wear. Any other recommendations?

EDIT: I'm seeing conflicting recommendations on the 201s and the 202s. Is one really better than the other, or is it mostly just personal preference? I'm looking for something with decent bass that won't disturb my roommates (ie. well sealed).
 
CEpeep said:
EDIT: I'm seeing conflicting recommendations on the 201s and the 202s. Is one really better than the other, or is it mostly just personal preference? I'm looking for something with decent bass that won't disturb my roommates (ie. well sealed).


If you think boomy bass is better.
Then yea, the HD202's are better then the HD201s. ;)
If you think boomy bass sucks then the HD201s are the better of the two.
 
Best "cheap" headphones I've ever owned by far are my AKG K66's. They're over-ears, and $35 retail. They also have amazing range and clarity; 60Hz to 22kHz. (Sadly, only the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 goes to 22kHz. Everyone else stops at 20kHz.) They're not overpowered at any point, but the pads are a pretty common complaint. Fairly stiff leatherish stuff, so I'd recommend trying a pair first.
 
CEpeep said:
I can't stand clip-ons. I have funny shaped ears and clip-on headphons really hurt for me to wear. Any other recommendations?

EDIT: I'm seeing conflicting recommendations on the 201s and the 202s. Is one really better than the other, or is it mostly just personal preference? I'm looking for something with decent bass that won't disturb my roommates (ie. well sealed).

You can always go for the Porta Pros :p same drivers as the KSC75s. But i was contemplating getting the 201s until i heard rumors that they are hard to drive and they're a bit flat.
 
sco0oby said:
You can always go for the Porta Pros :p same drivers as the KSC75s. But i was contemplating getting the 201s until i heard rumors that they are hard to drive and they're a bit flat.

As I said, I'm really looking for a set of closed headphones. I don't want my roommates annoyed or kept awake by my music or gaming. I guess right now, I'm looking at the HD 201s and 202s. The 202s look a bit more comfy, but I have not tried either pair on. Where's a good place to go to try these out on my head before I buy?
 
If you can spend a couple more bucks, check out the AKG K81DJ's. 69 shipped priority is what I got mine for :).
 
I've got a Sennheiser HD212 Pro that I got for $45 awhile ago and I'm quite happy with it.
 
rcf1987 said:
O man thats funny

Rather than simply trolling my thread with your "internet" spelling and grammar, why don't you explain why you think the 202s are better? If you have experience with them, I value your opinion, but acting like a mongoloid is not going to convince me of your position.
 
Think he was reffering to the equasion 201>202, since that is obviously false.
 
CEpeep said:
As I said, I'm really looking for a set of closed headphones. I don't want my roommates annoyed or kept awake by my music or gaming. I guess right now, I'm looking at the HD 201s and 202s. The 202s look a bit more comfy, but I have not tried either pair on. Where's a good place to go to try these out on my head before I buy?

Definitely should consider the K66's or K81DJ's then. The K66's are a "semi-open" design; the back of the drivers has an open grille. (The gray area, it's fully open in there.) This little trick is the secret to their phenomenal response and quality, but the K66's open design actually can be audible in some situations. The K66's are easier to drive than the K81DJ's though, and have better clarity.
 
AreEss said:
Definitely should consider the K66's or K81DJ's then. The K66's are a "semi-open" design; the back of the drivers has an open grille. (The gray area, it's fully open in there.) This little trick is the secret to their phenomenal response and quality, but the K66's open design actually can be audible in some situations. The K66's are easier to drive than the K81DJ's though, and have better clarity.

The K66s aren't really what I'm looking for, and I can;t find the K81DJs for less than $50, though they do look nice. I can get the HD 201s for $18 over at fye, so I think I may grab a set of them. They really look like the best bang for the buck. Even if they don't sound quite as good as the rest of the stuff mentioned, they cost like half as much, and for a college student like myself, that's important. :)
 
CEpeep said:
The K66s aren't really what I'm looking for, and I can;t find the K81DJs for less than $50, though they do look nice. I can get the HD 201s for $18 over at fye, so I think I may grab a set of them. They really look like the best bang for the buck. Even if they don't sound quite as good as the rest of the stuff mentioned, they cost like half as much, and for a college student like myself, that's important. :)

Hee, that's -exactly- why I'd recommend at least giving the K66's a good look. They're only $35, and my current set is I'd have to estimate, around 10 years old. (And in need of new pads, which are orderable, just a pain in the neck.) The construction of the HD201's is, well, not quite that confidence inspiring. As in, they're likely to break fairly easily in comparison to the K66's - their sturdiness is just flat out disturbing. Mine have been dropped, tossed, knocked around, stepped on, the cord's been rolled over at least a hundred times, and they still work flawlessly.
 
rcf1987 said:
O man thats funny


haha you're funny. Heck you have bad hearing because you look boomy basss instead of clean nice sounding balanced cans.. had the HD202s, glad it got stolen lmao.


Anyways under 50.... I recommend KSC-75... period..... damn too broke I broke mines.... me and my modding.... anyways best $20 bucks for headphones ever spent.
 
aZn_plyR said:
Anyways under 50.... I recommend KSC-75... period..... damn too broke I broke mines.... me and my modding.... anyways best $20 bucks for headphones ever spent.

They could be the best headphones in the world, but I still wouldn't wear them because they hurt my ears.
 
lol... 201>202
That really is funny!

/Just got out of math class
//god I hate summer classes
///201s are better
 
Some reviews of the hd201s and hd202s

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A2AHLI0GA153P9/102-5215452-1060952

some tech specs

HD201s


* Response bandwidth
* 21 - 18000 Hz

* Sensitivity
* 108 dB

* Impedance
* 24 Ohm

* Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)
* 0.7 %

HD202s


* Response bandwidth
* 18 - 18000 Hz

* Sensitivity
* 115 dB

* Impedance
* 32 Ohm

* Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)
* 0.5 %
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Lets get reviews from a more respectable source shall we?

http://www.headphonereviews.org/headphone.php?action=view&headphoneId=152

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=176340

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/all-headphones/sennheiser-hd-201.php

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/all-headphones/sennheiser-hd-202.php


Too lazy to search anymore... But people think of the 201s as better than the 202s in general. The only exception is the occasional basshead who doesn't care about how muddy bass sounds as long as there is bass.

/201s FTW
 
I guess its whatever I mean I think the hd202s are better but othersthink hd201s are better whatever the op thinks is best. Were just here to give ideas.
 
I have an easy solution to the whole HD201 HD202 thing.
Buy the PX200s. :D
 
I decided the go wih the HD 201s. I ordered them last week and they just got here. I love them! The bass is just great for what I listen to, and they're extremely well-sealed.
 
YES! I WIN!

201 > 202!

lol, glad to see you're enjoying your new set of cans.

edit: How do you like the Sennheiser house sound?
 
Back
Top