Sub $200 5.1 Speakers

Skrying

2[H]4U
Okay, I love my HD580s and all but sometimes I just like to listen to music loudly and could care less about quality. Its the metal head in me coming out, anyway.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a sub $200 5.1 speaker setup that included a remote?

Quality of sound is not that big of a concern just needs to sound decent and not like crap. A remote is what I'd really like to have with it, if possible, but its not a must.

So, recommendations?

You need 5.1 channels to listen to music?

Try looking for a stereo reciever and some nice bookshelf speakers- there are many in this forum who can provide recommendations.

well, if he'll say that he's willing to go that route, we can make some recommendations...

beaten my head up against the wall with too many "gotta have 5.1" routines though... :rolleyes:

An ATI remote wonder is my suggestion for the remote. It's $50, but it works with anything. And it's RF, so it doesn't have to be line-of-sight. It's on the steep side, I know.

Would you be planning to upgrade this in the future, or is this a one-time thing?

I dont think I'd be upgrading it later on, just sorta a one time thing that I've been wanting to do for a bit and have finally set aside a small chunk of money to do. I spent $210 on my headphone setup (HD580s + CMoy) and I love them to death for all my gaming and headphone listening needs, but headphones just never created the loudness/surround factor to me as much as I'd like.

Before me and my girlfriend moved I had a decent 2.1 setup that I used, but due to neighbors I couldnt use it and sold it, well I recently moved into a nice 1 bedroom apartment with a study and living area and the walls are actually thick so loudness is not an issue and I'd like to mainly create a surround feel. That's why I figured a 5.1 setup would serve me better than say two nice bookshelf speakers.

IdiotInCharge said:
You need 5.1 channels to listen to music?

Try looking for a stereo reciever and some nice bookshelf speakers- there are many in this forum who can provide recommendations.
I have some frankenstiened 1976 pioneer speakers. They came out of the era, where big speakers were the thing.

It has two 12" Jensens on it, some very loud 4" midranges with some ferrofluid crap, and the regular tweeters. I picked up a nice VCR sized 175W sony amp/receiver for $24.00 at goodwill. I also grabbed a 8" JBL car subwoofer (200W) for $40.00, and I will have to say, for the money I have into it, Im happy.

You can do the same if you halfway know what your doing. But, these speakers of mine take up a lot of room. they make good end-tables, but things rattle ontop of them.

Just look over used older stuff before buying new stuff. Some of the older shit looks really ghetto, but it sounds nice and is loud.

a) you should be able to find a used receiver somewhere for around 25 bucks. you don't need anything fancy. check your local 2nd hand electronics stores, craig's list, etc.
b) buy one of these at bestbuy to use as a cd player. 30 bucks after rebate.
c) offer this guy 135 including shipping for these .
d) go to home despot and buy enough 16 gauge speaker wire to glue the speakers to the receiver. maybe 10 bucks at the most.

lessee.

receiver: 25 bucks
cd player: 30 bucks
speakers: 135 bucks
wire: 10 bucks

total: 195 bucks. i even came in under budget, so if you have to, you can pay shipping on the speakers. :) you can probably find a used cd player cheaper, but, imo, it's not worth trying to save a few bucks there.

that's a start, anyway.

That is a very nice deal for psb alphas.
There are not many high quality speakers you can get in that range.

Speakers you may find include

Used Paradigm Mini Monitors V1
PSB Alphas
Used Home Theater Direct Level 2's or maybe level 3's.

listen to all these guys they're giving u great advice. a 2.1 receiver setup will sound a whole lot better than any sub $200 pc speaker set.

If I wanted to stay with just two speakers I wouldnt even bother with going with any speakers at all, I already have great headphones. Sure, I'd get higher quality sound going with going with two really nice speakers, but that's not what I want.

I'm looking for surround sound on the cheap basically, and I was looking for recommendations on a cheaper setup that would give me good volume but didnt sound like utter shit. Thanks for the recommendations anyway.

Back