• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SUB-120 or V-1220?

Eugenester

n00b
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
20
Title says all, Dayton is $159 at PE and the BIC is $160 at Amazon. Spec wise, the SUB-120 does 25-180Hz and the BIC does 23-180Hz (+/- 3db). Also, the BIC has a LFE input which saves me the trouble of buying a coupler. Use will be 50/50 movies and music, but SQ>SPL. AVR is a Denon AVR-591 which does EQ the sub. Thoughts?


Edit: The BIC is a downfiring sub, and I live in an apartment that resonates very easily =(. I guess the SUB-120 would be better for my situation but I would like some opinions nonetheless.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't get a subwoofer in an apartment.

Consider bass shakers.
 
I wouldn't get a subwoofer in an apartment.

Consider bass shakers.

I mostly play movies during the day, or on weekends, when the neighbors don't mind or are at work. Bass shakers do seem nice, but I would like to hear LFE effects instead of just feeling the vibrations.
 
I also had to make the same choice. I eventually went with the Dayton because it had the inputs/outputs I needed to connect everything together. The v1220 didnt. Overall the v1220 should be better even though it's a down-firing sub. Just make sure you can connect everything.

Oh and I love using my sub in my apartment. I just turn it down at night.
 
I also had to make the same choice. I eventually went with the Dayton because it had the inputs/outputs I needed to connect everything together. The v1220 didnt. Overall the v1220 should be better even though it's a down-firing sub. Just make sure you can connect everything.

Oh and I love using my sub in my apartment. I just turn it down at night.

Well for me a sub. in input is all I need. But why should the V-1220 be better?
 
Title says all, Dayton is $159 at PE and the BIC is $160 at Amazon. Spec wise, the SUB-120 does 25-180Hz and the BIC does 23-180Hz (+/- 3db probably). Also, the BIC has a LFE input which saves me the trouble of buying a coupler. Use will be 50/50 movies and music, but SQ>SPL. AVR is a Denon AVR-591 which does EQ the sub. Thoughts?


Edit: The BIC is a downfiring sub, and I live in an apartment that resonates very easily =(. I guess the SUB-120 would be better for my situation but I would like some opinions nonetheless.

that 23-180hz can be 50hz@-30db
 
Wait until the BIC F12 is ~$160 shipped to your door. It seems to happen 4 times a year. At that price, it is a much better speaker.
 
Wait until the BIC F12 is ~$160 shipped to your door. It seems to happen 4 times a year. At that price, it is a much better speaker.

Hmm..F12 is front-firing and is shielded. MSRP is the same as the V-1220 but the lowest price I can currently see is ~$185. It looks delicious too :cool:. Seems very good, but it's gonna be one hell of a find. Do you by any chance have a link to a seller for $160 bananas?

Edit - SQ-wise, I'm guessing the F12 is going to be better, yes?

Edit Mk. II - Apparently on the AVS forums the generally consensus is that the F12 is overrated and a nice "starter" sub (based on skimming threads, so could be wrong).
 
Last edited:
Hmm..F12 is front-firing and is shielded. MSRP is the same as the V-1220 but the lowest price I can currently see is ~$185. It looks delicious too :cool:. Seems very good, but it's gonna be one hell of a find. Do you by any chance have a link to a seller for $160 bananas?

Edit - SQ-wise, I'm guessing the F12 is going to be better, yes?

Edit Mk. II - Apparently on the AVS forums the generally consensus is that the F12 is overrated and a nice "starter" sub (based on skimming threads, so could be wrong).

It is a top rated sub in your price range. $160 is a sale price, you'd have to keep your eyes open. But for $185, it is still a good deal.

As far as being overrated, keep in mind most people on AVS have 2-4 $1k + subs in their homes.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1246684
 
It is a top rated sub in your price range. $160 is a sale price, you'd have to keep your eyes open. But for $185, it is still a good deal.

As far as being overrated, keep in mind most people on AVS have 2-4 $1k + subs in their homes.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1246684

True, those SVS/HSU subs are pretty expensive (at least in my case); but a lot of people there have budget subs as well. I guess I'll have to resort to scouring the 'net for a deal.
-I can't seem to find any reference to the sub going for $160.
 
Last edited:
Just got the BIC V80 for my small apartment. I think it's perfect for an apartment. It's also $100 shipped.
 
Title says all, Dayton is $159 at PE and the BIC is $160 at Amazon. Spec wise, the SUB-120 does 25-180Hz and the BIC does 23-180Hz (+/- 3db probably). Also, the BIC has a LFE input which saves me the trouble of buying a coupler. Use will be 50/50 movies and music, but SQ>SPL. AVR is a Denon AVR-591 which does EQ the sub. Thoughts?


Edit: The BIC is a downfiring sub, and I live in an apartment that resonates very easily =(. I guess the SUB-120 would be better for my situation but I would like some opinions nonetheless.

SUB-120 does 25-180Hz and the BIC does 23-180Hz<---- They can do that at-9db or -16db. Dont believe that BS

What is your budget? Get the Dayton SUB-100 10" or the Yamaha YST-FSW050BL2 . 12 is for meduim to large. You will be wasting your money. Get the 10
 
SUB-120 does 25-180Hz and the BIC does 23-180Hz<---- They can do that at-9db or -16db. Dont believe that BS

What is your budget? Get the Dayton SUB-100 10" or the Yamaha YST-FSW050BL2 . 12 is for meduim to large. You will be wasting your money. Get the 10

All sub companies rate their subs at +/- 3db, and the high end manufacturers do 1-2db. Dayton and BIC America are reputable companies, and their stuff has been reviewed all over the place. I'm specifically looking for a 12" sub under $200.
 
The Dayton SUB-120 is great. Used it in an apartment(had to keep it pretty low) until I replaced it with a Martin Logan Dynamo.

The BIC H-100 and F12 are decent too, but I would pass on the V-1220.
 
Uh the Jamo A70 10" 450 sub on vanns is $199 free shipping.

Usually $699. Jump on that.
 
Back
Top