stuttering..maybe the card?

Hey there all I've been debating my upgrade path and with school and family it is a limited path but here is whats happening.Most games I get the stutter and drop in fps once in awhile..not really turning but moving around most games everything needs to catch up and such.
The games I run right now are wow,warhammer,titan quest and xpac,even a lil in San Andreas...ive tried different graphic setting thru the nvidia control panel less af/aa more and the stutter just kinda stays with me.

my specs
e6300 stock speed
8800gts 320MB
3 gigs ram corsair 800 xms
gigabyte p965 s
WD 320 Gig 8mb cache hdd

So I've reformatted winxp sp3 clean installs nothing else on comp...i always play clean up on the comp as far as start up programs and such and run almost all games in 1280x1024 on a 19in so where is this drop coming from ...video card memory maybe would a 512 4850 get rid of these hicups?

Thanks in advance for the help all!!

p.s. just want a smooth gameplay with some aa/af you know..shouldt be getting these dips in wow when it can run fine for 30 secs then DIIIPPPPPPP.

does the hard drive seems to try to search for something while you get the lag, maybe the hd is starting to fail on you.

any thermal issue?
video card powered properly and run at full speed and not on power saving mode?
latest driver for you board and vcard?

the game you play are older then your video card(8800gts aint bad) exept war but it doesn't take a monster to run this game anyway.I think the problem is elsewhere.

Yes the hd is accessing most times during that ..how do i tell if vid card is on power saving mode?still using a antec 450 psu right now..haven't gotten no artifacts during play or reboots so no thermals seem fine to me.

Thanks again for suggestions and insight

Is the hd accessing due to out of ram on vid and my 3 gig system memory?seems like it would be enough.

Recently ran pcpitstop tests and everything was on target and above the average in speeds so i'm lost here with the hitching and stuttering.

Yes the hd is accessing most times during that ..how do i tell if vid card is on power saving mode?still using a antec 450 psu right now..haven't gotten no artifacts during play or reboots so no thermals seem fine to me.

Thanks again for suggestions and insight

I used to have strange issues on my Nforce motherboard with the IDE controller my primary HDD was on switching to PIO mode for some strange reason. This makes each read/write VERY cpu intensive, and would cause slowdowns and stuttering. Deleting the offending device in device manager and allowing windows to redetect it would fix it.

Check your primary and secondary IDE channel. They should be in UltraDMA mode. If it reads PIO mode, you found your problem.

everything s defragged benchmarking programs read optimal speeds on equipment...just don't understand ...memory is in flex mode being that the 3rd gig stick is by itself..will lfexmode cause this on my mobo?...will matching the 4th stick and both sets running dual mode help?

check w rivatuner if the vcard clock are good (it will also tell you if its in power saving mode)
if the cpu fall throttle due to overheat it wont restart just check cpu temp just in case

Well everything seems ok with video card and such..but after a lot of benchmarking with sandra and monitoring mem usage during games i'm seeing my cpu usage thru the roof which seems to coincide with the frame drops .Looks like it's time for a new heatsink and open the roof and this lil e6300 ...if it reduces the frame loss an such then a new cpu is in the works.

Thanks for all the advice and help on here.!!!

Also will the newer C2D 8500 and such work on this gigabyte p965 s3 board?

Back