Stuttering Bug that is driving me crazy.

ReubenRosa

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 29, 2004
Messages
326
I recently about 3 weeks ago built my first new system in 3 years.
Athlon 64 300+ ,1gig OCZ Dual Channel DDR 400mhz ram.Gigabyte NForce 4 based socket 939 motherboard with agp. BFG 6800 gt . Xi-fi xtreme music soundblaster card.
I Also have an An audigy2 zs I can try.

here is my problem and its been driving me nuts!! all my drivers are up to date..
The os is windows xp pro with service pack 2 and all the updates.
When ever I run a D3d game.. the game will hitch and pause. ITs preventing me from being able to play games like Guild Wars,Wow and also Dungeon siege 2.
I load the game fine.. then once d3d is engaged.. it begins to hitch or pause for like every 30 seconds the pause lasts like 30 seconds then you can move your character.. and then bam back to pause...I am also running the latest bios for the motherboard.. System is not overclocked.

Any ideas? I am considering rmaing the board thinking it could be a board problem.. I have tried the onboard audio.. my zs and then finally the Xi-fix (nice card) and still same problems. Direcdraw titles don't have any hitching or pausing.

It has to be someting with my graphic subsystem I think but I Am not sure.
What you think?
 
Post what Power Supply you have.
Run Memtest.
Return to default clocks.
Try 1 stick of memory and swap it out with the other.
Turn off forced driver-based AA/AF if applicable.


Call BFG for tech support, as it's D3D ONLY. And you have DX9c right?

*edit* for removing things I didn't read. :)
 
500 watt Dynex power supply. also adding.. This is a fresh install of Windows xp.
I upgraded my power supply from stock pos that I used to have that said it was a 400watt.
 
Ok update on my problem.. I turned off AA tried it out.. Less pausing but I noticed now its graphical corruption that is also occurring.. Could my BFG. have gone bad?!
It worked fine in my Athlon xp 2600+ asus system a month ago.. with that pos 400 watt power supply. I cant test the ram... because its Dual channell.. I only got 1gig. :)
 
Dynex? Never even heard of that brand, and I seriously doubt it's capable of 500W. You can remove 1x512 stick and test in non dual channel, or just run memtest from a CD.

Also get a monitoring program and find out what your PSU's rails (12v and 5v) are running at when your computer is running at 100% CPU and doing video as well.... if it's anything below 11.8 and 4.8 you're gonna need to replace PSU with something a bit higher quality.

Graphical corruption? No good! How's the airflow in your case? If you touch the video card after a good 30 minutes of gaming, is the heatsink is it very hot, or not so much? If it's cool to the touch, it may mean that the heatsink is not getting very good contact with the GPU, and the GPU is overheating.

If you do a cold reboot, does the problem start immediately, or does it happen a few minutes into a game? That'd determine if it was a video card heat problem.
 
I will do the reboot.. and start up game quickly and see. if that occurs..
As far as the Dynex. power supply.. I have tested a million of those things at work
in various systems and haven't had issues. personal note.. I work for a funny company as a member of the largest it task force in north america.. I drive a VW Bug.. hint. shh..

Anyway your suggestings have alot of merit and I had been thinking along those lines but with working like 45-50 hours the time I needed to really trouble shoot my own pc was few and far between. Then it dawned on me that I was forgetting to ask my favorite fellow hardcore gamers. :) I needed an objective mind to narrow down the possibilies. So thanks alot.
 
Ok I reboot pc start up Dungeon siege2.. and as soon as my character screen comes up it begins the pausing and hitching. if I enter the game I see the graphical corruption.
I touched the card its cool to the touch the fan side of it is a little warm.
Thats it. The underside of the card is cool. time for the memory test.
 
I had similiar problems with my Ti4600 back in the day. It ended up being the fan on my graphics card was dead. I would check yours and make sure it is running. Also I would check your GPU temps. And about the power supply, I couldnt find any rail ratings for it online, when you open your case, write down the rail ratings for us. Especially the +12V rating.
 
ReubenRosa said:
I recently about 3 weeks ago built my first new system in 3 years.
Athlon 64 300+ ,1gig OCZ Dual Channel DDR 400mhz ram.Gigabyte NForce 4 based socket 939 motherboard with agp. BFG 6800 gt . Xi-fi xtreme music soundblaster card.
I Also have an An audigy2 zs I can try.

QUOTE]

The NForce4 does not come with AGP.
 
Gnu314 said:
Use Riva Tuner, turn AGP fastwrites OFF and then do this

http://www.ausfx.com/forum/index.php/topic,2141.0.html

Finally you might have to go back a version or two on your Nvidia graphics drivers. I have the same problem, this solves it for me.

That is one hell of a fix... lol :)

*edit* I would seriously call BFG if that doesn't resolve it, because they've most likely heard of the problem before.

Have you thought of flashing the BIOS on your video card? *gulp*
 
YOU ALL ROCK!!!! Thank you both so much.. early this morning before I jumped in the GeekMobile.. I installed rivatuner changed the settings and entered Wow..
and for the first time in 1 month was able to play. Yup it was the those blit settings and the fast writes that did it.. Some bug nvidia needs to fix that.. pronto.
 
Oh and to the guy who said my board doesn't come with Agp..
If thats the case.. how in the world am I using my BFG 6800 gt agp card. LOL
 
ReubenRosa said:
Oh and to the guy who said my board doesn't come with Agp..
If thats the case.. how in the world am I using my BFG 6800 gt agp card. LOL

Then your not using an Nforce 4 chipset. The Nforce 4 doesnt even support AGP. Your probabaly using an Nforce 3 board.
 
no it does. The AGP slot just runs off the PCI bus. Search newegg for one. I saw a thread a few weeks ago where a guy with an Abit nforce4 AGP board was having probs. They are cheap, like $75 iirc.
 
Thank you so much Gnu314. I didn't know I had the stuttering bug until I tried the Rivatuner trick you posted. I thought I just had shitty framerates in BF2. Its as smooth as butter now :cool:
 
ReubenRosa said:
Oh and to the guy who said my board doesn't come with Agp..
If thats the case.. how in the world am I using my BFG 6800 gt agp card. LOL
I never said "your" board doesn't come with AGP. I said NForce4 doesn't. What exactly is the model number on your board anyway? If there is an NForce4 with AGP I would like to get one. I couldn't find one at the Gigabyte page, and the NVidia refence for that chipset is PCI-Express only.

EDIT: Oh nevermind I read the in-between posts now. :)
 
Ok, so i read those threads and I looked at newegg. I don't see anything that even indicates that an NForce4 AGP exists.
 
vmerc said:
Ok, so i read those threads and I looked at newegg. I don't see anything that even indicates that an NForce4 AGP exists.

Ack! Guess I had a brain freeze. That was a thread about s754 nforce4. And the mobo too. Sorry!

I distinctly remember someone reputable saying something about a crippled AGP port on an nforce4 board (b/c it runs off the pci bus). Sorry that I can't find it. Guess you can just say it doesn't exist.
 
Sorry to bump this post as its been 8 days since any activity.

You guys are welcome, I had the same problem too and got it fixed last spring. Since then it appears that most of the geeks here have moved on to pci-e or 7800s which don't have this problem. Its amazing what 6 months will do. This problem is exclusive to NF3/6800 agp it seems. The worst part is that Nvidia knows about the problem and they just haven't done anything about it, distressing really.
 
yeah im pissed nvidia knew about the problem and didnt do shit to fix it. i had a bfg 6800GT OC and had those stuttering problems also. finally got fed up, bought an nf4 pci-e board and a 7800gt. does that make me a geek?

yes it does.
 
Back
Top