Stuttering after installing Windows 8

sinclair-zx81

Limp Gawd
OK, so I have been very opposed to W8 since its launch. However, with 8.1 on the horizon, I thought I would give it another chance, or at least get ready for the 8.1 UAT. So, running same hardware as when I was on W7:

AMD FX-8350 @ 4GHz
GTX 660 SC 2GB (non-Ti)
8GB RAM (only 1333, I haven't upgraded ram since I moved from the X4 955)
ASUS K5A97 (970 chipset)

I've only played BioShock Infinite and run Heaven 4.0, but I see the same effects in both. In BS, I see a stuttering happening quite frequently when not even in real complex settings, and in Heaven, it will stutter and drop the framerate. I am not overclocking the GPU, and everything is the same from when I was on W7. On W7 it was completely smooth, I never saw anything like what I'm seeing. I even reduced the texture quality and it does not help. Is there any recommended tweaks for W8 in cases like these? I expected it to perform better since it's a clean build. The W7 install was old and had drivers for Radeon and old Nvidia and was the same OS I had the x4 on. This was completely clean.

Sounds like a driver issue. Did you install the mobo and video card drivers for windows 8? Is it 32 or 64 bit and did you install the appropriate drivers?

Agreed with Climber. I'd like to add that there is a possibility the motherboard BIOS may need to be upgraded to be Windows 8 compatible.

I had the exact same problem as you. It was the motherboard drivers and bios upgrade that fixed it. I got 1/3 more fps afterwards in demanding games.

BIOS is latest from ASUS, the drivers for the 660 are the latest from Nvidia, I have not tried any motherboard drivers, other than the ones Windows loads. I will try to find motherboard drivers.

If all else fails - sometimes monitors will have oddball timings that create stuttery movement, especially when using mouselook.
One fix is to use a framerate limiter like MSI Afterburner's OSD. Set your max framerate to 60 (or whatever your monitor can handle) and see what happens.

I don't have an AMD proc or board, but experienced the same thing on my 3570k in a Intel 55K.

It ended up being the INF drivers from Intel that fixed the problem for me, so I think the other folk's advice about upgrading your motherboard drivers is probably the way to go.

I installed the AMD drivers.. I had hoped to avoid installing anything Catalyst since I have Nvidia now (and still harboring a conspiracy theory that AMD drivers installed try to make Nvidia cards not run the best they can). Anyway, exclusively testing with Heaven for the time, I have noticed an elimination of random stuttering. There are two fixed places where it stutters in Heaven 4.0 now, going up the stairs in the dark to the top of the castle (outside night seen) and flying past the turret with the blue flag waving. Other than those two, I found nothing else.. Now to try BioShock.

Also.. I set a manual resolution in the Nvidia control panel. It detected 1920x1200 60Hz, and I noticed a bit of screaming from my monitor when exiting Heaven on the final splash screen. I created a custom resolution of 1920x1200 59Hz (my monitor's actual native resolution) and the scream is gone. Windows 8 detected my monitor by name and model.. not sure why it won't set this on its own.

I installed the AMD drivers.. I had hoped to avoid installing anything Catalyst since I have Nvidia now (and still harboring a conspiracy theory that AMD drivers installed try to make Nvidia cards not run the best they can). Anyway, exclusively testing with Heaven for the time, I have noticed an elimination of random stuttering. There are two fixed places where it stutters in Heaven 4.0 now, going up the stairs in the dark to the top of the castle (outside night seen) and flying past the turret with the blue flag waving. Other than those two, I found nothing else.. Now to try BioShock.

Also.. I set a manual resolution in the Nvidia control panel. It detected 1920x1200 60Hz, and I noticed a bit of screaming from my monitor when exiting Heaven on the final splash screen. I created a custom resolution of 1920x1200 59Hz (my monitor's actual native resolution) and the scream is gone. Windows 8 detected my monitor by name and model.. not sure why it won't set this on its own.
Sometimes you have to install the monitor driver in order for Windows to properly detect it's capabilities.

Well. That was fun. The stuttering kept returning no matter what I tried. I'm back on W7, and what do you know.. no stuttering.

Back