stupid windows xp >=(

iddqd

[H]ard|Gawd
It seems that as soon as I connect to the interweb for the first time after a fresh install, I get nuked with no less than 60 viruses, about 15 of which hide in system files and can't be removed. I can't recall having this problem with WinMe, but the Xp is pissing me off.

well, how is it XP's fault you don't take proper security measures when installing a new system?

Well it would probably be a good idea to run a firewall(XP has one, turn it on), and preferably have a router with NAT. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to slipstream SP2 with XP and do a fresh install with it since it fixes several vulnerabilities. You could also just disconnect your computer from the net until you have secured your computer. I have done several clean installs and always make sure I have a firewall and AV running prior to connecting to the net, I am also behind a router. I have never experienced as much as messenger spam, take necessary precautions, it is that simple. If you want to blame somebody, blame yourself, or blame the people who write viruses for MS products. Blaming Microsoft for something that was a result of something you could have prevented, is just pitiful. Sorry.

It's a vicious cycle, you see, I can't secure my computer without connecting to the net, and yet I can't connect to the net without securing my computer first. I have a hardware firewall with nf3 250gb, but i have no clue how a firewall works, so i just leave it off. I also can't install sp2 unless i have a real copy of windows, I think? And i need interweb for that too :(

Well since you seem to be an inexperienced user, I apologize for being harsh. Download whatever utilities you need from the internet(SP2, a software firewall, whatever other security measures you need) use another computer if you have to. Burn them to a cd and then install them before you have your computer plugged into your network card. Turn on your hardware firewall, and then if it starts causing problems turn it off if you must, just try with it on. Then learn about firewalls, they are fairly straight-forward, but they can be somewhat complex the deeper you go/more you want to configure them(like games require certain ports forwarded etc. but you can find all that info on the net.). At least turn on XP's firewall, if you don't know how to do that, simply right-click "My Network Places", select properties, right-click "Local Area Connection" and select "properties" then click on the "advanced" tab, and check the box for "internet connection firewall". Or you could go to the "Run" box on the start menu, and type in "Services.msc" without the quotations. Then find "Internet Connection Firewall" or "IPV6 Internet Connection Firewall" and right-click it and select start, Also right-click it and select "Properties" and set "Startup Type" to automatic. Either way, at least turn on XP's firewall, do this prior to connecting to the internet(before connecting you network cable to you network card after a clean install of XP). At least run XP's firewall, then you can start messing around with whatever firewall you have.

Also, pretty much do whatever you must to get SP2 installed, that or at least manually install the updates through Windows Update. Nowadays, as you have learned, it is very important to install updates/patches/fixes. Good luck.

everybody that I know is having problems with SP 2 so I am avoiding that right now. But as for securing your computer, download all of the security patches, service packs, drivers, software, etc and burn them to a CD. Once windows is reinstalled, apply all of the patches and updates off of the CD you burned before you connect to the internet for the first time.

Hmmmmm, seems that some folks here are harsh at times(no offense). Reinstall XP with the network cable unplugged. After the install is complete goto your network connection under advanced enable the default firewall in XP then plug your network cable in and start patching the system.

iddqd said:
It's a vicious cycle, you see, I can't secure my computer without connecting to the net, and yet I can't connect to the net without securing my computer first. I have a hardware firewall with nf3 250gb, but i have no clue how a firewall works, so i just leave it off. I also can't install sp2 unless i have a real copy of windows, I think? And i need interweb for that too :(

Maybe if you didnt steal software you wouldnt have this problem. Go buy yourself a real copy of Windows. :rolleyes:

Think those 60 viruses were bundled with his copy of Windows XP?...

just a little fyi you dont need a legit copy of XP for SP2, not that i would know or anything like that ;)

anyways, just download the full file of SP2, copy the contents of your windows cd to your hard drive, extract and slip stream the files, then make and burn the ISO, then pop the cd in, reformatt, and resinstall windows xp sp2 from your new slip streamed disk. Then connect to the internet and go straight to www.windowsupdate.com and check for critical updates for sp2.

Thanks guys. I've reinstalled winxp, and tried firewalling my connection before connecting, but that doesn't let me connect to the internet (that's the hardware firewall). Anyway, I updated NAV and windows, and it doesn't seem like there's any viruses (otherwise i'd be getting gay pron popups atm). I seem to have another problem. Right when it boots up, NAV is disabled by default. :eek: And the computer is unresponsive for about 1.5minutes, I can click on sound control, but it only pops out some time later, after that point everything is fine. Any idea why that happens?

Does your computer have internet connectivity when NAV stops responding? Does NAV ever respond and enable Auto-Protect? NAV could have been attacked if you had internet connectivity, but it usually notifies you that its files have been changed. I have noticed on some machines(well only one that I can remember) that NAV would pause for a long duration while tryig to update itself if there was no internet connection present. That was on an old 98 machine I was wokring on for somebody, but it did happen, that was when I had the network cable unplugged. Might be the same issue with you, might not. Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up task manager and keep an eye on the processes, also you could Run MSconfig and see what applications are starting under "Startup" if you see anything suspicious post them here.

If your hardware firewall doesn't allow you to connect to the net, activate XP's firewall instead, as outlined by both myself and a few others in previous posts. Then immediately run windows update and download all the latest security patches, or go to Microsoft's site and download the full/network install of SP2 as somebody above mentioned. Then use the super-duper internet to find out how to use other firewalls (such as kerio) as well as learn how to configure your hardware firewall.

Then I suggest you also head over to TrendMicro and do a free online virus scan as well as get yourself a copy of Spybot Search and Destroy as well as a copy of Adaware Personal Edition and update your reference files on each, then go ahead and do a scan.

Good luck.

Back