Stupid Video card question

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
Okay, so I'm building a PC for my nephew (using my unused PC parts laying around) . He will be playing decent games, such as C&C3, Doom, Rise of Legends or other strategy games. Don't have much money, so I'm thinking of getting the very minimum to get him by. I'm undecided between 6200, FX5500, FX5200 or the low end video cards. Which one is going be okay for this type of gaming PC?

Also, would any of these cards beat the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro?

I have a friend that plays counter strike, BF2 on a 6200. With a 22 inch monitor. Not great but playable.

ok just a couple of questions to help us answer your query.
1) Canada or US?
2) AGP or PCI?
3) Will he be playing them online or just ingame?
4) Budget?

Okay, so I'm building a PC for my nephew (using my unused PC parts laying around) . He will be playing decent games, such as C&C3, Doom, Rise of Legends or other strategy games. Don't have much money, so I'm thinking of getting the very minimum to get him by. I'm undecided between 6200, FX5500, FX5200 or the low end video cards. Which one is going be okay for this type of gaming PC?

Also, would any of these cards beat the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro?

That's not a dumb question at all, we wouldn't want you to buy a overpriced video card that performs like crap afterall ;)

I'm going to assume you're looking for a AGP card and that you're living in the US.

Here are your options from lowest priced to highest (also slowest to fastest)..
Geforce 6200 - $37
Radeon 9600xt - $60
Geforce 6600gt - $93
Geforce 7600gs - $113
Geforce 7600gt - $175 (before $20 MIR)

The 6600gt (and all cards listed below it) are faster than the 9700pro. If he is going to be playing Doom3 and Rise of Legends you will want the 6600gt as the 9600xt can barely play those games. It can do it of course, but if you pay a bit more you can get 2x the performance with the 6600gt.

What processor and how much ram will be in this machine?

Yes, live in USA and AGP. Budget is less than $100. Will certainly consider one of the recommended cards. Thanks...

Yes, live in USA and AGP. Budget is less than $100. Will certainly consider one of the recommended cards. Thanks...

If it wasn't AGP i'd sell ya a 6800GS for under a $100

(got 2 of em, had em in sli, upgraded, see sig)

You can go with the 7600GS or maybe, just maybe if you wait untill the mid-range DX10 GPU's you might be able to get the 7600GT for about $100 or maybe a few dollars more. :)

I hope it's that way becasue I have experienced slow PC's... ohhh dear...

Back