• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

stupid things apple does

pendragon1

Cat Can't Scratch It
2FA
Joined
Oct 7, 2000
Messages
79,110
There are some things you think would be, well common sense....like how to charge your mouse, what if you need it and it died, well most mice, you can just plug in a charging cable and keep using it, but not Apple. they still think having the charging port on the bottom is the best place!

I guess they dont want some ugly hole anywhere else to ruin their sleek design...

https://www.theverge.com/2024/10/28...gic-mouse-charging-port-bottom?showComments=1

The new Mac Mini announced today has the power button on the bottom, which is even dumber than the mouse.

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/10/29/m4-mac-mini-bottom-power-button/

both good examples
 
I like your enthusiasm but it makes a lot of sense actually, if you wall mount the unit it's recommended they go bottom out, as it mounts cleaner, and gets better airflow (it's why there is a logo on the bottom)
The units themselves are also so small that if you have them on the sides you need 2 hands to use the button because instead of pressing the button you slide the machine down your desk, so you need one had to hold it in place.
If you have it on top you risk the chance of things hitting the button and it being turned off mid job, like say a cat jumping up and walking across because its warm and suddenly bloop off it goes...

So you put it on the bottom where you can power it on with a pinch, if it's on a desk, and it's an easy to see button if you have it wall mounted as part of a conference TV setup or something.

The lightening port on the bottom still makes me shake my head, like WTF why? Did the computers get too fast at compiling so their developers couldn't have jousting matches in the halls while their work was "compiling" so now they put the chargers on the bottom so when asked why they aren't at their desk it can be "mouse is charging"...
It's the only explanation I can come up with.
most dont wall mount them, they sit on the desk. having it on the rear made more sense, but its apple after all...
 
Last edited:
most dont wall mount them, they sit on the desk. having it on the rear made ore sense, but its apple after all...
depends on your desk, most of mine are wall mounted but the one on my desk I need 2 hands to hit that rear button because otherwise I just move it all over my desk because the force needed to push the button is greater than the force needed to move the unit. So unless I hold it down it just slides away, but since its behind my monitors I need to bend funny it's unpleasant. But given how infrequently I need to power it on (it's used for testing configurations before I push them out to the other MDM units) it's at worst a minor annoyance.
 
Not being able to run your laptop in "clamshell" mode (closed but driving external displays) on battery. What? Literally every Windows PC I've ever had let me do that.
 
apple-pencil-charging-100776129-large.jpg


I would love to know how many destroyed charging ports this stupid decision ended up causing.

They eventually got charging the Apple Pencil right. Then they screwed it up again...

If you can't do it right, don't do it at all...
 
Back
Top