Stupid question: Trying to find the IP address of an xbox on my network

KevySaysBeNice

[H]ard|Gawd
This is probably going to seem really stupid, but I have an xbox that I'm giving to my parents (modded into XBMC) my xmas, I'm trying to put files on it (ftp), but I don't know the IP address of the xbox.

My question is, is there anyway to find the IP address of the xbox if it's on the network?

I don't need to know anything other than the IP address...

Thanks for any help!

I forgot to mention that I don't actually have a TV :)

So you might call my xbox (in it's current state), a "headless xbox"

OK, here is a dumb, semi related follow up question I posted on another forum and am copy pasting here.

Hi, this xbox I've got is soft modded, just soft modded actually, and it's an xmas present. Anyway, last night I was able to FTP to it just fine, but today when I try to get to it no luck.

here is what arp -a tells me:
xboxwhat.jpg

Anybody have any idea what's going on here?

I'm semi desperate as my GF just spent 100 bucks on this and now I can't get to it....

We've tried restarting the xbox obviously but...

Also, one issue is that we don't have a TV, or anything else for that matter so we can see what the xbox is displaying.... Obviously that would help, but yeah, it's not possible.

Thanks a ton!

EDIT: OK, now without changing/doing anything, about 10 minutes later, I arp -a again, and now it has:
192.168.1.255 at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff which I know can't be right. wtf is going on, anybody? :(

OK, here is a dumb, semi related follow up question I posted on another forum and am copy pasting here.

Hi, this xbox I've got is soft modded, just soft modded actually, and it's an xmas present. Anyway, last night I was able to FTP to it just fine, but today when I try to get to it no luck.

here is what arp -a tells me:
xboxwhat.jpg

Anybody have any idea what's going on here?

I'm semi desperate as my GF just spent 100 bucks on this and now I can't get to it....

We've tried restarting the xbox obviously but...

Also, one issue is that we don't have a TV, or anything else for that matter so we can see what the xbox is displaying.... Obviously that would help, but yeah, it's not possible.

Thanks a ton!

EDIT: OK, now without changing/doing anything, about 10 minutes later, I arp -a again, and now it has:
192.168.1.255 at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff which I know can't be right. wtf is going on, anybody? :(

192.168.1.255/ff.ff.ff.ff.ff.ff is a broadcast address, not your xbox. although if you ping it, all devices should respond to the ping, and then show up in your arp table.

the (incomplete) entry means that you computer does not have a MAC address (L2) for the IP address. Reboot everything and try again.

Lastly, you should be able to login to your router and look at it's device / arp table to look for the xbox there.

I ran into a similar issue when I installed my XBox Elite. I was using MAC Address Filtering at the time so I needed to plug the MAC into my router.

Like I've always done, I took the MAC address off of the Wireless Adapter and punched it in.

Didn't work.

Even though it was using the MS Wireless Adapter, the XBox does not report that adapters MAC when requesting an IP address. Weird...

What I did was (after temporarily turning off MAC filtering) is turn off the XBox, and rebooted the router. I then went into the router and wrote down all the in-use IP addresses. I then brought brought up the xbox and let it get an IP and looked at the router again for the device that wasn't shown before. I was then able to get the IP and MAC address, and was able to plug the MAC into the filter.

I still really don't understand what the XBox is doing, but I got what I needed :)

Back