Stupid question on Wireless access points

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I have a current wireless router now that is on the main floor. I want to extend the wireless signal.

So I am thinking of buying a wireless access point and the power line extenders so I can run that signal through my electric wiring.

So the question. Since the WEP needs the SSID name, do I simply plug the WEP into a machine hardlined and use the browser to change the info on the WEP to match the SSID on my primary router? And set it up as I did with my wireless router?

I'd recommend WPA over WEP. If you want to enable roaming across WAPs, use the same SSID , encryption, and keys on the WAPs.

I think the OP means WAP not WEP, past that I think what he's asking is about setting up the second AP, and I think he has the basic idea, just setup the second AP with same SSID as first, probably on a different frequency.

Yeah, sorry guys. I meant WAP.

I have a wireless router now. Sounds like I take the WAP and plug it directly into my machine, set the SSID name and then save and go..

99.9% of WAPs are going to come with software that will locate the device on your network, though most of the network guys here wouldn't use it. The software is made for your average joe that doesn't do networking for a living. All you need to do is plug the device into a free port on your network and power it up. It'll request an IP via DHCP from your router. Then you run the software and it automatically finds the device and walks you through the install. Couldn't be easier man.

99.9% of WAPs are going to come with software that will locate the device on your network, though most of the network guys here wouldn't use it. The software is made for your average joe that doesn't do networking for a living. All you need to do is plug the device into a free port on your network and power it up. It'll request an IP via DHCP from your router. Then you run the software and it automatically finds the device and walks you through the install. Couldn't be easier man.

more crap you will have to UNINSTALL later :p

Simple way, plug in ap, look at dhcp list on your router and you sill get the ip of the device, then http://deviceip in your browser POOF done :)

Back