Stupid question, not familiar with AMD

delvryboy

2[H]4U
Everywhere I look, this board is a AM3/AM2+/AM2. However, when I received it, the states it's AM2+. Will this work with a Athlon x2 3600?

Everywhere I look, this board is a AM3/AM2+/AM2. However, when I received it, the states it's AM2+. Will this work with a Athlon x2 3600?

Which board you talking about ?
If the CPU is AM2+ it will work on AM2+/AM3/AM3+ motherboards.
If the CPU is AM3, then it won't work on AM2+ and lower boards. (Well, it *might*, it just depends on the board)
*edit, I don't think they made a AM3 version of that CPU...

Yes, an AM2 CPU will work in an AM2 compatible board. ;)

Processor Support
AMD® Athlon64/ Athlon64 FX/ Athlon64 X2/ Sempron/ Phenom processors in AM2/AM2+ package

An AM2 processor will work in an AM2 or AM2+ board.
An AM2+ processor will work in an AM2+ and some AM2 boards with BIOS update - although HTT will be limited.
An AM3 processor will work in an AM3 and some AM2+ boards with BIOS update - although HTT will be limited.

Note that AM2/AM2+ are DDR2, and AM3 is DDR3. An AM3 processor has both DDR2/DDR3 memory controllers on the die, which is why it will work in either board. An AM2 and AM2+ processor only have DDR2 controller and thus can't be used in an AM3 board.

Also: I have an AM3 cpu working in an AM3 board the bios just doesn't recognize it properly....

Edit: I have an AM3 board working in an AM2(non "+") board...

Last edited:
An AM2 processor will work in an AM2 or AM2+ board.
An AM2+ processor will work in an AM2+ and most AM2 boards with BIOS update - although HTT will be limited.
An AM3 processor will work in an AM3 and most AM2+ boards along with some AM2 boards with BIOS update - although HTT will be limited.

Note that AM2/AM2+ are DDR2, and AM3 is DDR3. An AM3 processor has both DDR2/DDR3 memory controllers on the die, which is why it will work in either board. An AM2 and AM2+ processor only have DDR2 controller and thus can't be used in an AM3 board.
just correcting your post since its 99% right and no use for me to correct it by writing it out myself.

Also: I have an AM3 cpu working in an AM3 board the bios just doesn't recognize it properly....

update your bios.

Right. I just got concerned because the box states it's AM2+ and doesn't say anything about AM2.

all AM2+ boards support AM2 processors.

Which board you talking about ?
If the CPU is AM2+ it will work on AM2+/AM3/AM3+ motherboards.
If the CPU is AM3, then it won't work on AM2+ and lower boards. (Well, it *might*, it just depends on the board)
*edit, I don't think they made a AM3 version of that CPU...

wrong wrong and wrong.. read the top quote in this post. explains exactly how it works.

yes it will work perfectly fine.. its labeled as an AM3/AM2+/AM2 because it supports all 3 socket variations.

Last edited:
Just gotta add, if a board is AM2+ it should work with AM3 processors regardless of the bios, since for a board to be called AM2+, it must support dual-plane voltage, and it must also support atleast HT of 1.8GHz (200x9), if the board only has one or the other, then by a technicality, it is an AM2 (non plus) board.

The 3600x2 will work fine in the board. just don't expect too much out of it. I went from an Athlon II 620 oc'd to 3.2GHz to a 3600x2 @ 2GHz, and man, I feel like I'm dying a slow, painful death... :(

Back