Stupid question - finding stepping (Q9550)?

Jared701

[H]ard|Gawd
I just received my parts to put my new computer together but cannot find anything on the box or chip that starts with C1 or E0. I must be blind or something... which code do I look for to find what kind of stepping I got? On the box it lists the prod code, mm#, fpo/batch/vers. #
On the chip itself Intel 06 Q9550
intel core 2 quad
slawq malay
2.83/12/1333/05a
L823B354

SLAWQ is your stepping. Google that, not in the mood to.

And it's probably C1 since E0s usually have a number in them, SLB9W or whatnot.

There are worse things than C1 Q9550's. Paired with the right cooler and other components you still can OC in the upper half of the 3Ghz territory

C1 does not mean it will suck. God I hate this stupid generalization; my C1 or whatever C0 e8400 performs/overclocks better than my E0 e8400, needing much less voltage to hit 4GHz. There.

C1 Q9550s typically hit 3.8GHz on good air. Not quite 4GHz, but still very respectable. I'm quite happy with mine, and it's capable of running circles around most other CPUs.

C1 Q9550s typically hit 3.8GHz on good air. Not quite 4GHz, but still very respectable. I'm quite happy with mine, and it's capable of running circles around most other CPUs.

as soon as I build and test it I'll report back here. I'm still waiting on my backplate which I bought off ebay since newegg was sold out. My build is very similar to yours so I'm hoping I can hit 3.8 too. I would be happy with that.

as soon as I build and test it I'll report back here. I'm still waiting on my backplate which I bought off ebay since newegg was sold out. My build is very similar to yours so I'm hoping I can hit 3.8 too. I would be happy with that.

Providing you get a good heatsink, that shouldn't be a problem.

finally received my backplate so wanted to report back
So far have system is prime95 stable for the first hour of testing
P5Q-E
4x2 gigs of ram

system is stable at 4 gigs (470x8.5)
vcore set to 1.368
NB set to 1.36

Not bad at all if this continues to be stable...highest temp I've seen so far was 71C under load. The system crashed under prime95 within 5 minutes at 1.35 volts and has been going slightly over an hour now. You guys were right not to worry about the stepping. This C1 is working out well so far :)

That's pretty good for a C1, if it turns out to be stable. I suggest you give IntelBurnTest a shot though, since I was able to get my PC pretty much stable at 4GHz except it wouldn't pass 10 runs of IBT.

That's pretty good for a C1, if it turns out to be stable. I suggest you give IntelBurnTest a shot though, since I was able to get my PC pretty much stable at 4GHz except it wouldn't pass 10 runs of IBT.

OR, if it is stable with Orthos, prime, all gaming and benchmarks. You run it that way with sweet performance and forget all about if it passes IBT, since if it does everything else.... who really cares? :D

I am very jealous of your clock with that c1. It took 1.46 on my NBv to get 3.84 :(. I have tried everything and can not find a way to lower my voltage or get 4.0 stable with any NBv.

Temps are not an issue, just FSB/Memory failures even at stock or lower memory timings. :(

Because if it fails IBT, then it really isn't stable after all.

It's not "stable" for running IBT, but it obviously is stable for your average computer user and playing games. If you don't have any other issues, I'd run at 4.0 no problem knowing it doesn't pass IBT if it passes 8+ hrs of Prime and I never get any game/app crashes.

Ok, had to adjust some. I'm now running 3910 mhz (460fsb) @ 1.36 volts and NB @ 1.32 or 1.34? One of those 2. It was prime stable for 10+ hours and then I turned off the program. Looking at the coretemp log 2 of the cores maxed at 73C and the other 2 didn't get above 70. It's idling with 2 of the cores around 40 and 2 around 35. I was told in the overclocking and cooling forum I could likely get 4 gig if I up the vcore to 1.4 but I'm happy with this speed and don't want to throw that much more voltage at the cpu. Definately much happier today than when I found out I had gotten a C1 stepping :)
I'm not going to bother running IBT. Some of you may not consider this a true 100% stable overclock since I'm not going to do it... but I just wanted the computer stable for running games and day to day things. As long as I'm not getting crashes with what I do and the computer can survive 10+ hours of prime blend test I'm happy with its stability.

Ok, had to adjust some. I'm now running 3910 mhz (460fsb) @ 1.36 volts and NB @ 1.32 or 1.34? One of those 2. It was prime stable for 10+ hours and then I turned off the program. Looking at the coretemp log 2 of the cores maxed at 73C and the other 2 didn't get above 70. It's idling with 2 of the cores around 40 and 2 around 35. I was told in the overclocking and cooling forum I could likely get 4 gig if I up the vcore to 1.4 but I'm happy with this speed and don't want to throw that much more voltage at the cpu. Definately much happier today than when I found out I had gotten a C1 stepping :)
I'm not going to bother running IBT. Some of you may not consider this a true 100% stable overclock since I'm not going to do it... but I just wanted the computer stable for running games and day to day things. As long as I'm not getting crashes with what I do and the computer can survive 10+ hours of prime blend test I'm happy with its stability.

I wouldn't worry about it. There are actually plenty of people out there who recommend NOT to run IBT. It is definitely far from nesc. if you can get a nice Orthos/Prime95 load stable for 8+ hours.... I'd be stoked.

I can't get mine stable over 3.84 so far, but I did get my vcore and NB voltage down finally!

Anywho nice OC!

Back