Stupid question.....Celeron D

SKy042

[H]ard|Gawd
trying to build a new budget rig for my mom.
I can't find the answer on intel's website.
Is the Celeron D a Dual core chip?

sorry to hi jack this thread but since your question is anwsered, my celeron D 3.06ghz chip is running at almost 65C on load, is this ok??? Seems incredibly high..

no, Celeron D's are not dual core, they are prescott core 90nm celerons with 256k L2 cache, the are decent performers and oc very well and are much better than their predecessors (because of more L2 cache) i have one and its been a great little chip (just wish my board could go higher than a 15MHz oc)

pixelbaker said:
if it has EMT64 with it it's technically 64bit though...

the only Celeron D's that are 64bit are the 3X1 and 3X6 models... the 3X0 and 3X5 models are 32bit only

Foz2001 said:
sorry to hi jack this thread but since your question is answered, my celeron D 3.06ghz chip is running at almost 65C on load, is this ok??? Seems incredibly high..

it seems to be a little warm, but you may have the earlier "D0"stepping Celeron D which runs warmer than the newer revisions E0 (and i think there is a G0 now)

make sure the hsf is seated properly and that you have good case ventilation

I think that might have been Intel's secret plan to confuse people in to thinking the Celeron D was dual core.

Celeron D's are pretty good, and if you get a recent revision chip they overclock pretty good.

But if I was building a "budget" LGA775 system, I'd try to save some extra $ to get a 631.

i agree with the guy above me. 631 is a good investment. it's still a single core, but it's a cedar mill and comes with hyperthreading. If you know anything about presslers and cedar mills, they're known for their overclocking ability (and 65nm for both if i remember correctly)

One thing you can be sure of is I won't be overclocking a rig for my mom.
Also the room she keeps her computer in can hit 90F in the summer so an oc'd machine won't fair well.

I actually wanted to build her an AMD rig but the celeron and mobo combo's hit the right sort of pricing.

Thanks for the info.

Celeron overclocking goodness... :D

Celeron320at38.jpg

Celeron320at38bench.JPG

Not bad for a $50 CPU.

Back