Stupid Question About SSD, but?

CustomModAddict

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I know this is probably really stupid, but wasn't sure hot to search it and didn't even know where to begin how to google it.

Here we go, If I use and SSD do I need to put the OS on it to still get the performance in gaming?

Can I put the OS on say a HDD or Raid 0 and just put my games on the SSD? Will that work, and if so will the game and maps still load fast?

For the most part yes, based on a few assumptions: that you have adequate memory so as not to require swapping while the game is loaded, that the savegames and any DLC or w/e is located on the SSD (modern games often store this in your documents dir), and obviously that the game itself is installed on the SSD. That being said, generally you want to run your OS off of the SSD as well, as that makes everything seem faster; but if the SSD is not big enough for that, just installing the games on it should bring you performance gains.

I was pissed to find that Win 7 Ultimate x64 consumes 14GB of space on my SSD, such ridiculous bloat, but that's another story....

Back