Stupid Noob Windows Home server question.

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok...so.....I want to add a WHS to my home setup....I googled and read that the initial setup requires that the home server box be connected to a monitor....so basicly i have to disconnect my monitor from my desktop and install the software and then reconnect my monitor to my desktop and plug the server into my router?

I told you this was dumb question..but whatever.

oh...just connect the server to the router...find the server on my network...install the software to the server?...probably?

Initial OS installation, as with pretty much any OS, is going to need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Once initial setup is complete and the server is connected to your network, you can remove these items. Most administration is done via the Home Server Console remotely.

It depends, are you buying a HP box or building your own? If you build your own you need a monitor for the setup (takes around 2 hrs). If you buy a HP there is no VGA out so its all done over the network.

It depends, are you buying a HP box or building your own? If you build your own you need a monitor for the setup (takes around 2 hrs). If you buy a HP there is no VGA out so its all done over the network.

To be technical. It's not a fresh install when you "re-install" to an HP mediasmart. Also, the mediasmarts have VGA out, it's just not on a header ribbon on the outside of the case, you can actually buy these VGA header ribbons and use it like a regular desktop.

Back