stupid job requires A+, thinks it means something

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, my stupid job is now requireing us to get A+ certified, even though we all know it means nothing, and toilet paper is worth more.. I need to get certified within 3 weeks to keep my job.

With over 9 years of computer experience I doubt I need to study, (mabye though, never hurts) but where are places that I can actually GO to get certified and take their gay test.

Also, I took a Server+ class last year at my local community college and was wondering where I could go to get Server+ certified also (that will show those retards, if I get both A+ AND Server+) bastards.

A+ is now 2 tests, Hardware and OS.
Should take you 25mins each if you know what a computer looks like.

no, they arent paying for it.
And I took the sample test it has on the website (about 30 questions total)
I got a perfect score on the hardware, and missed 2 on the software (stupid Windows NT questions).

Think Im ready?

Doesn't sound like you are old enough to have 9 years of experience in anything. I would never mind having to go get some education/credentials if my job required it, the only thing I would gripe about in your case is having to pay for it. But if it's a stupid job then find another one! :cool:

Zlash said:
Doesn't sound like you are old enough to have 9 years of experience in anything.
keep your opinions to yourself. I could care less if you think I dont experience.

Definitely not old enough for 9 years experience. :)

If your job requires it, and you have to pay for it, you can deduct it on your taxes, I believe.

Zlash said:
Point proven.
hahaha, nice.
Well cyr0n_k0r, if you want to show those 'retards' go take the 'gay' test. You should have no problem.
Server+ was a joke too, esp if you understand the various RAID Levels and physical network structure.

LonerVamp said:
If your job requires it, and you have to pay for it, you can deduct it on your taxes, I believe.
yes, Ive been looking into that. It's called the TRAIN act and I am going to read more about it. If anyone knows a little more please explain.

I am taking a series of classes.. A+, Server+, Network+, Security+

I thought I might as well get all of them out of the way.
Does anyone know if the TRAIN act will reimberse you if you have already paid for the classes? Reason being is because all the tests I am takeing all within the next 4 weeks.

Hehe, I remember taking the 90 question tests! This was RIGHT before they went to the adaptive test. I got mine when I was 16 as part of my tech prep classes.

In any case, it’s hardly a "Worthless" test. Its proof you know something. I know it helped me get my current job, my boss said that I was the only applicant of that group who had A+. I know the companies I talk to look for it on resumes as a filter for qualified applicants.
just suck it up and take it. Use it as resume filler :)

Rombus said:
In any case, it’s hardly a "Worthless" test. Its proof you know something. I know it helped me get my current job, my boss said that I was the only applicant of that group who had A+. I know the companies I talk to look for it on resumes as a filter for qualified applicants.

Also if you want to work in an IBM/Dell service centre they require A+. So its handy to have.

Smack19 said:
Also if you want to work in an IBM/Dell service centre they require A+. So its handy to have.
It is handy. I've gotten lots of call backs for job's, while my friends who don't have certs haven't gotten many, if any.

I took my A+ in January of 2003, it was like 20 question's. Then I took the 2003 Objective OS, was like 60 or something. They went away from the adaptive test, and I should have just taken it then (nothing I learned later on really helped me.)

I want to do my CCNA next.

/end thread hijack.

Rombus said:
Hehe, I remember taking the 90 question tests! This was RIGHT before they went to the adaptive test. I got mine when I was 16 as part of my tech prep classes.

Most companies I've seen look for school first, experience second, and certs last. Sometimes it's Experience, certs and school, depending on how specific the job is.

Quite frankly, I don't know why they wouldn't look at experience and job referrences, screw school and certs. People can get book smart to pass the certs, and all school really shows is how well someone can follow through on a big project. Handy to know, yes, but you can gleen that from the interview and past job referrences.

Ah, but alas for the lost art of the interview. Oh well.

i took mine in 2000 and have added many certs since, it's nice to have for the reasons already stated... it is an easy test though.... my work pays for all my tests though :)

When i took the A+ it was like 16 questions, but i talked to a college buddy of mine who took the A+ last week and he said they changed the Exam and now it has over 90 questions, i live in Michigan, dont know if they changed it threw out the US or what, but i know here in MI the test has changed

cyr0n_k0r said:
Well, my stupid job is now requireing us to get A+ certified, even though we all know it means nothing, and toilet paper is worth more.. I need to get certified within 3 weeks to keep my job.

With over 9 years of computer experience I doubt I need to study, (mabye though, never hurts) but where are places that I can actually GO to get certified and take their gay test.

Also, I took a Server+ class last year at my local community college and was wondering where I could go to get Server+ certified also (that will show those retards, if I get both A+ AND Server+) bastards.

Visit Prometric or Vue websites for test taking locations or any additional information about the test including objectives.

-(Xyphox)- said:
When i took the A+ it was like 16 questions, but i talked to a college buddy of mine who took the A+ last week and he said they changed the Exam and now it has over 90 questions, i live in Michigan, dont know if they changed it threw out the US or what, but i know here in MI the test has changed

The questions are random, but the format of the test remains the same throughout the US.

A+ IS a joke, no doubt about it. You shouldnt have to study if you have 9 years experience. I scheduled both tests in a row, walked in, and about 45 minutes later walked out, the "proud" owner of a shiny A+ cert.

The CCNA was a bit tougher. I had to retake that one a second time because I missed it the first time by literally 2 questions :mad: Thank God for vouchers.

There's this idiot I work with that doesnt know a thing about PCs, and often breaks equipment in ways we have yet to figure out. This moron has been studying for his A+ for almost a year now :D How many times can you read the book? LOL.

Take it, you'll pass no prob.

mj007 said:
A+ IS a joke, no doubt about it. You shouldnt have to study if you have 9 years experience. I scheduled both tests in a row, walked in, and about 45 minutes later walked out, the "proud" owner of a shiny A+ cert.

The CCNA was a bit tougher. I had to retake that one a second time because I missed it the first time by literally 2 questions :mad: Thank God for vouchers.

There's this idiot I work with that doesnt know a thing about PCs, and often breaks equipment in ways we have yet to figure out. This moron has been studying for his A+ for almost a year now :D How many times can you read the book? LOL.

Take it, you'll pass no prob.

The CCNA is one tuff Cert, its the hardest of the networking Certifcations, because you have to know so much. 1 out of 100 people pass it their first time, but the CCNA is a walk in the park to the CCNP and CCIE, i have my CCNP i took the CCIE once and missed it by 5 questions, i am taking the classes on it than taking it again

I wouldn't worry about it, just study up some cram guides before hand. I took my A+ about 3 years ago, before they switched over. It was all DOS/Win95 based questions. I had about 12 years of PC exp at the time. Hardware test took 12 minutes, the other took about 9. How applicable that is to the new test, I don't know. Do they still want you to memorize DMA/IRQs, etc? :)

Rurik said:
I wouldn't worry about it, just study up some cram guides before hand. I took my A+ about 3 years ago, before they switched over. It was all DOS/Win95 based questions. I had about 12 years of PC exp at the time. Hardware test took 12 minutes, the other took about 9. How applicable that is to the new test, I don't know. Do they still want you to memorize DMA/IRQs, etc? :)
I have taken a few sample tests I have found online, and I am pretty pissed with all the stupid DOS and Win95 questions they have on them.

Who the hell cares what DLL file controls extended memory in DOS. When's the last time anyone used dos?

Yeah, DOS and Win9x were the two worst things on the test for me. But luckily, it was mostly Windows XP, 2000 and mostly "How do you get to the device manager."

cyr0n_k0r said:
I have taken a few sample tests I have found online, and I am pretty pissed with all the stupid DOS and Win95 questions they have on them.

Who the hell cares what DLL file controls extended memory in DOS. When's the last time anyone used dos?

This morning. :) And, yes, there are corporate networks out there that still run Win95, and even WFW3.11 machines. That, and I just can't get away from Norton Commander :D

and I am pretty pissed with all the stupid DOS and Win95 questions they have on them.

What got me was the laser printer.

IMO those are mainly bullshit questions. You will know them if you study, take computer classes, ect. However some of that I wouldn't know on that test, but I could do it on the computer. I say it tests your dedication to study and not your actual knowledge ;).

I would say that the cert isn't a bad thing, but as stated earlier in this thread, companies need to take it with a grain of salt.

[And, yes, there are corporate networks out there that still run Win95

That is true. In fact, I have a job on a 95 system monday morning at 10. They see no reason to upgrade, so they will basically pay me more than the system is worth to fix it.

XOR != OR said:
Ah, but alas for the lost art of the interview. Oh well.

Perhaps one of the most important aspects of getting any job. In all the talk of certs/school/exp this seems to get overlooked. I for one can say that I have not been the most "qualified" for a few jobs I have applied for but got the job based on the interview.

BTW... I know this because I make it a point to ask the HR person (weeks after being hired) why they picked me over others and every time they said I put on the best interview. You gotta play to these HR people or you won't get hired, and by play I mean tell them what they wanna hear :)

on a side note, certs/school/exp are important as well.

Back