Stupid Facebook Post of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Thanks to stupid Facebook posts like this, a school district in Florida is now implementing strict policies for social network sites. Yeah, because that will fix teachers that make posts like this:

That comes on the heels of a recent embarrassment for the district after a teacher posted on his Facebook page that he hated his job, hated his students and hated coming to work. That teacher was suspended for 5 days without pay.

Great reaction by the school district....Right...What exactly is this going to do to "make things better?" So a teacher posted that he hated his job, whoop-de-doo. There are plenty of people that don't like what they do, he expressed himself on a forum that everyone can see, which is his problem. Putting regulations in place because of this...ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!

I can see where he was coming from, I'd think none of my students were on facebook :p

Did you guys even read what the district wants to do. Teachers need permission from a parent to FB with students and teachers can't rag on the school and it's students. Gee, really draconian rules. Seriously, this is just common sense. Adults, teachers or not, FBing with kids? If the need is there fine, ask the parent what's wrong with that. And how many us would lose are job ragging on our employer, work place and associates?

Annnd, why do people insist on putting all their personal info online? Furthermore, do you really need to use your real name so you're easy to find? :rolleyes:

One of the big frustrations I have as a teacher is the only legal way we can express our frustrations anymore is through professional counseling. It is illegal thanks to the Federal Education Right to Privacy Act (which I believe is 98% good, 2% utterly stupid; can explain later) to discuss pretty much anything relevant that happened at school outside of the building or, in many cases, even with other teachers. As much as I hate to see any of my brothers or sisters post something like that, there are so few pressure release valves left that sometimes we take what we can.

The only place I can fault this guy is that he has possibly irreparably harmed his professional relationship with any of his students that may have read it. It's one thing to call out specific behaviors relative to that age group, but to out and out say that you hate them is something that should never be typed, written, spoken, or thought. I have encouraged a couple fellow educators to seek counseling or leave the profession once they hit that point.

Back to making copies on plan time...

Why the shit any teacher would accept or initiate a Facebook "friendship" with one of their students is a fucking mystery to me. I'm not even a teacher and I can recognize how ridiculously stupid that is. Isn't that the same as giving them your personal phone number?

Lock up your privacy and don't friend your students. Easy. Peasy.

One of the big frustrations I have as a teacher is the only legal way we can express our frustrations anymore is through professional counseling.

This has NOTHING to with being a teacher, we all have frustrations at work but what good comes out of posting them on FB? All it's going to do is piss of people make one look like a angry fool.

Hell I teach adult kids.. and I deny any FB or other social networking requests from students of days past, it's just good common sense. And as the the person above me stated, online in a good way to relieve some pressure, its easy to curse up a ranty storm about anything that most won't do in person.

This has NOTHING to with being a teacher, we all have frustrations at work but what good comes out of posting them on FB? All it's going to do is piss of people make one look like a angry fool.

Wow, so a news post about county policies towards teachers on Facebook that uses a quote concerning action towards a teacher for posting as the hook has nothing to do with being a teacher? You should ask your former English teachers for a refund as they obviously missed the boat in teaching reading comprehension.

I concede your point about this type of post concerning any place of employment being a bad idea.

Wow, so a news post about county policies towards teachers on Facebook that uses a quote concerning action towards a teacher for posting as the hook has nothing to do with being a teacher? You should ask your former English teachers for a refund as they obviously missed the boat in teaching reading comprehension.

I concede your point about this type of post concerning any place of employment being a bad idea.

lol that reminds me of this article from a while back

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1070187/Woman-fired-via-Facebook-after-rant

I wasn't saying that this incident didn't have anything to do with teachers, I was saying that it's not a good idea for anyone to vent their work frustrations on FB, not just teachers.

Ha ha, good. Primary ed in the US is a silly, in the most monty pythonesque way, profession anyway which you shouldn't even attempt unless you have a calling for it. Like the all of a sudden one day you wake up and think, I must get myself to a nunnery.

Seriously, why would anyone go through the hassle of training, certification and education to work at a job where you are treated like shit everyday, get paid a pittance, are at the mercy of the whims of power-mad school boards and tremble at the sight of 14yr old girls who want an A because you don't know who their daddy is and they will get you in trouble.

Sorry man, you deserve what you get. Profession:Fail.

People just get offended way too easily. If someone hated me, I wouldn't really care and wouldn't loose sleep over it. Then again I wouldn't post that stuff on FB.

Ha ha, good. Primary ed in the US is a silly, in the most monty pythonesque way, profession anyway which you shouldn't even attempt unless you have a calling for it. Like the all of a sudden one day you wake up and think, I must get myself to a nunnery.

Seriously, why would anyone go through the hassle of training, certification and education to work at a job where you are treated like shit everyday, get paid a pittance, are at the mercy of the whims of power-mad school boards and tremble at the sight of 14yr old girls who want an A because you don't know who their daddy is and they will get you in trouble.

Sorry man, you deserve what you get. Profession:Fail.

Not saying that you don't have a point but this why the US is getting its ass handed to it when it comes to producing educated people, at least at the secondary level.

yeah im with some of the other posters on here.... I can't fathom why you would accept a friend request from a student

Glad to see freedom of speech is alive and well in the good old USA.

Oh, wait...

Oh, wait...

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequence. There's this other concept even more important called personal responsibility that no talks about anymore.

If I were a teacher I wouldn't even have a FB or MYS account. Why even give someone ammo against you? Maybe start a 'teacherbook' that requires authorization to post/view/join.

If I were a teacher I wouldn't even have a FB or MYS account. Why even give someone ammo against you? Maybe start a 'teacherbook' that requires authorization to post/view/join.

I thought some did that and FB sued them, there's a thread about here.

My biggest gripe is the biggest loss we have in this country: common sense. Seriously, as pointed out by many already, don't accept students as friends, watch what you say in public (which facebook is as much as people have some idea that it isn't), and please please please get some common sense so we don't have more laws/regulations/whatever passed because some idiots do stupid things.

I think this shows the mental level of common sense this particular person has. IMHO He should be fired on the terms of utter incompetence. In the private sector that has happened to several people I know...
If he hates students: go dig ditches... for a lot less money and no benefits... and the boses usually don't check facebook ;)

There is no excuse for stupidity.

facebook is great in the ability to "reconnect" with people. hell, logging into my account I see that there are links where my brother connected to a cousin that had moved back to greece 40 years ago as a kid. Who'd a thunk?

All the same I keep a big wall between it and work. work contacts I have on linked in, personal contacts on facebook.

even then I have rules about what can or can't be posted. if there is info that can "hurt" me if the whole world knows, it does not get posted. No drunk pics, suggestive poses or workplace bitching.

main issue I see is that people don't really understand how the new social media works and the negative aspects of it.

Oh, wait...
constitutional fail. if you ever read the actual amendment, it guarantees that a citizen can say what they want without fear of government prosecution.

it has nothing to do with the workplace, it does not protect you from loosing your job because you call your boss an asshole, or from getting punched in the mouth by some big black guy for talking about slavery. it simply states that the government cant control your speech. nothing more.

My biggest gripe is the biggest loss we have in this country: common sense. Seriously, as pointed out by many already, don't accept students as friends, watch what you say in public (which facebook is as much as people have some idea that it isn't), and please please please get some common sense so we don't have more laws/regulations/whatever passed because some idiots do stupid things.

People who talk first and think last will never be free no matter how many amendments are added to the Constitution because they will always be slaves to their mouths.

SO FUCKING WHAT.

Anything off school grounds is none of the schools business, and isn't this a violation of the first amendment?
Teachers would also not be allowed to post pictures or comments that would "cast the district, teachers or students in a negative, scandalous or embarrassing light."

I'd say the school has no control over whatever is posted on his personal Facebook page.

All I'm hearing is: "Employee said he hated his job on Facebook, was suspended because of it."

SO FUCKING WHAT.

Anything off school grounds is none of the schools business, and isn't this a violation of the first amendment?

I'd say the school has no control over whatever is posted on his personal Facebook page.

All I'm hearing is: "Employee said he hated his job on Facebook, was suspended because of it."

constitutional fail. if you ever read the actual amendment, it guarantees that a citizen can say what they want without fear of government prosecution.

it has nothing to do with the workplace, it does not protect you from loosing your job because you call your boss an asshole, or from getting punched in the mouth by some big black guy for talking about slavery. it simply states that the government cant control your speech. nothing more.

Except, PUBLIC schools are regulated by the GOVERNMENT...

He also didn't say anything specific, just that he hated where he worked. I didn't see anything where it said he posted something like "Fuck my boss, he's a douche. Fuck my students, they're all annoying little shits and I hope they die."

He also didn't say anything specific, just that he hated where he worked. I didn't see anything where it said he posted something like "Fuck my boss, he's a douche. Fuck my students, they're all annoying little shits and I hope they die."

And in OTHER news, another person learns he's not cut out to be a teacher. :D

Why do people want to defend the absence of common sense? Who doesn't complain about work, this is where REAL friends come in handy. What is to be gained by someone bitching and moaning to complete strangers, some who probably think you’re just as big of a jerk? I'll never know.

1) Any teacher that posts that kind of stuff on their facebook is dumb.
2) A dumb teacher shouldn't be teaching kids.
3) Therefore...... (fill in the blanks)

Who cares... the teacher's reputation is more at stake than just 5 days without pay. I'd take the 5 days over a bad reputation if it were up to a choice.

And this is PRECISELY why teachers who are not researchers (i.e. K-14) still get tenured. So you can't be fired for stupid shit like this.

Not saying that you don't have a point but this why the US is getting its ass handed to it when it comes to producing educated people, at least at the secondary level.

Because the other countries we are compared against hand-pick the tested, or only test those on a college track. Not every country tests their vocational or special ed kids in that manner, so of course we're at a disadvantage.

And this teacher can still speak freely, he/she has no Constitutional right to be a teacher. So where was his freedom of speech curtailed?

Back