stupid college

Howdy, unfortunatly I'm going to be heading off to college this comming school year since I'll be graduating at the end of this school I would like to bring a laptop to college and I need to be planning the ammount of money that I can spend on it. Could you suggest some laptops? My personal specifications that I'm looking into are proformance, weight, and battery life. It needs to be good enough to play some decient game to get my through classes, but it also needs to be able to get to the class and continue to run the entire class period (at least 3 or 4 hours). I've looked at the alienware, ibuypower, and voodoo laptops, and all of them seem pretty good, pricy, but good. If you guys know anything about what I should be looking at or where is a good place to buy them it would be appriciated.

Thanks for the input

Originally posted by gimilthedwarf
Howdy, unfortunatly I'm going to be heading off to college this comming school year since I'll be graduating at the end of this school I would like to bring a laptop to college and I need to be planning the ammount of money that I can spend on it. Could you suggest some laptops? My personal specifications that I'm looking into are proformance, weight, and battery life. It needs to be good enough to play some decient game to get my through classes, but it also needs to be able to get to the class and continue to run the entire class period (at least 3 or 4 hours). I've looked at the alienware, ibuypower, and voodoo laptops, and all of them seem pretty good, pricy, but good. If you guys know anything about what I should be looking at or where is a good place to buy them it would be appriciated.

Thanks for the input

Well, first of all, if you want to keep affording nice laptops, you might want to consider paying attention in classes rather than playing games in them. :)

That said, look at the Sager 5680.

and with those high end laptops your battery life is going to be around 2 hr's with dual batteries ..

Performance + Battery Life = MUCHO DINERO!

And you seriously shouldn't even be thinking about not paying attention in class. If you don't want to be there you don't have to be.

If you are looking for a laptop with good gaming performance and good battery life at a low price, I recommend the Gateway M505X. It is made for Gateway by Wistron who also makes the X- and R-series ThinkPads for IBM. It is a well built Centrino laptop with ATI 9600 graphics. Both Office Depot and Gateway are having a $200 mail in rebate this week (until 1/10/04) that brings the price down to $1399. Here is the Gateway M505X special at Office Depot and here is the M505X at Gateway. Here are reviews and comments on the Gateway M505.

Well this might not apply in this case, but another interesting option ...This assumes money is a consideration. Buy a good enough notebook model and upgrade in two years.

Basically find the notebook you would consider and cut the price in half. Look for models in that price range. Consider what you can live with and without etc.

Only suggestions...Normally best to get ram seperate. Do not get bogged down in having to have everything...Do not get too caught up in must have the best part in every area. If purchasing from dell be patient and wait for the right combination of promotions.

I understand when buying a pc for college many consider it best to go ultrahighend as it is often someone elses money(or hidden in a loan)

[obligatory Tablet PC reference from me]

take a look at this
Toshiba Tablet PC

Why is it a better choice than a normal Laptop? Think about this:
I take engineering and electronics classes where a normal laptop just won’t work, too many sketches, diagrams, and formulas I need to write down. Well, with a tablet, I can take notes using the pen or the keyboard. I can easily organize every note i take for every class and call them up at any time i want to. Along with a scanner, i can go nearly paperless (and im planning to next semester). My HP TC1100 is so useful I can’t imagine being without it, and i have only had it for a month. Mine is more than powerful enough to run call of duty at a good frame rate and if im not using wireless and have the screen brightness down a bit, i can get the battery to last nearly 4.5-5 hours

Originally posted by KevC
And none of the games so you can focus on studying :)

Oh, I don't know about that. WC3, UT2k3, Call of Duty (April); that's a decent set of games.

go to a store and pick up and try carrying around a bunch of laptops. Figure out how much you are willing to let yours weigh and how large you are willing to let it be. Those, IMO, are the two most important things to figure out for you now, as you already know the battery life you want.

Originally posted by NleahciM
go to a store and pick up and try carrying around a bunch of laptops. Figure out how much you are willing to let yours weigh and how large you are willing to let it be. Those, IMO, are the two most important things to figure out for you now, as you already know the battery life you want.

I have had classes where girls (yes, girls) will pull out the Toshiba Lugable computer (the 17inch OMGITSFUCKINGHUGE laptop) and take notes with it in a lecture hall, i know i couldnet carry it around all day. Then again, most of the girls i asked about there laptop complianed that it was so heavy.

Originally posted by Rombus
I have had classes where girls (yes, girls) will pull out the Toshiba Lugable computer (the 17inch OMGITSFUCKINGHUGE laptop) and take notes with it in a lecture hall, i know i couldnet carry it around all day. Then again, most of the girls i asked about there laptop complianed that it was so heavy.

I've carried a Dell Inspiron 8200 around for 2 semesters.

8lbs isn't that heavy, but you know what? I notice when it's not in my backpack, and as much walking as I have to do, it starts to bug one...

So, I'm getting a Powerbook.

Originally posted by Rombus

I just hate when people get those huge computers with desktop processors in them. Then in the middle of class their fans start whirring and making all sorts of noise...

I just hate when people get those huge computers with desktop processors in them. Then in the middle of class their fans start whirring and making all sorts of noise...

Tell them to stop playing Call of Duty and get back to taking notes.

Originally posted by skritch
Tell them to stop playing Call of Duty and get back to taking notes.

Some people's fans go on even just when using MS Word. Kinda makes me wonder if they're folding or something. That doesn't seem like the brightest thing to do when running off of battery power...

Some people's fans go on even just when using MS Word. Kinda makes me wonder if they're folding or something. That doesn't seem like the brightest thing to do when running off of battery power...

Ah, well, it wouldn't be a Sager then. The battery life's about 15 minutes. :D

The real appeal is having a portable desktop, rather than a portable, battery-powered desktop. :D

Its all about Bejeweled and Kazaa.

Size, size, size...i personally find 7 lbs too much to carry around everywhere, but thats just me...anything much above that, however, i would definitely say is not a good idea for anyone. Basically, it can't be too small. I have a latitude d500 that i carry with me everywhere, about 4.7 lbs.

id get the Dell X300...lighter than a feather! i've held one, beleive me!

Back