• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Stupid AOpen, stupid me...

BossNoodleKaboodle

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,818
Today I got my SFF Pentium M and assembled it, but I failed to notice that the PSU was set to 230V since I live and ordered it in fucking America you know I just assumed they'd have it set to our fucking voltage being that ITS BEING SOLD HERE!

Anyway I ran it for about a minute or two like this and I'm wondering if I damaged it. Its up and running but I wonder if I damaged the caps in the motherboard or anything else inside, or if its even possible to damage it by having the PSU set to 230V when I'm really on 115. Ice Czar or any of your power-knowledgable buddies please let me know what you think(and I know I shouldn't assume that friggin Taiwanese companies would actually sell it set to the voltage that the entire nation they're selling to uses)...
 
I doubt there is much if any damage
the other way round there would be
setting it to 115V and pugging it in
in Australia :eek:

http://www.dansdata.com/top686p6.htm

miss the days when every Power Supply Unit came with a self-destruct switch.

Every normal PC PSU used to have a little slider switch on the back of it, see. The switch was usually red, and it was recessed so you could only slide it with a screwdriver, pen, or unusually long and rigid fingernail. What that switch did - and still does, because many such PSUs are still in service - was switch the PSU between 110 and 220V mode.

If you live in a 110/120V country (ten volts more or less practically never makes a difference; "110V" gear will virtually always work in "120V" countries, unless there's a problem with the AC frequency), then switching your PSU into 220/240V mode (those are similarly compatible voltages) will just stop it from working.

But here in Australia, we now run a nominal EU-standard 230V (it used to be 240V; most Aussies don't even know the standard's changed). In this situation, if you flick the voltage selector switch to the lower setting, there is a more than trivial probability that you'll get a flash, a bang, and some satisfying smoke 'n' stink.
 
Back
Top